Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Sorry for delay. Haven’t had a lot of
time to play with the Mac. Booting the 3,1 using the image provided by the site “refind-flashdrive-0.11.4.zip” written to a USB stick.

My USB stick inserted:

Only the 580 installed (no hard drives either):

See nothing bootable detected:

Version info:

At which point i hot plugged the ssd in photo 2 and pressed escape to refresh boot loafers and I can pick whatever I want to boot from. This is how I’m recovering from OpenCore issues currently. I hope to be able to post some more about open core and the 3,1 but for now it seems that using 0.5.3 debug is not able to load macOS currently. It just reboots which is why I had my EFI flashed 650 installed for a while to let me see what the heck it was doing. I will try rollback to 0.5.2 or see if there is a later version to try.
Do you have the scan_delay set to at least 1?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Do you have the scan_delay set to at least 1?
Yeah I do have a scan delay and that works fine. There was nothing to boot from because I had all internal drives disconnected. I hot plugged the SSD that has my macOS installs then hit esc to re-scan for loaders.

This was just me recovering from opencore which is installed on the ssd I had disconnected without doing a nvram/pram reset to undo the blessing. Basically the opposite of the logical method of doing open core on the usb stick which could then be removed whenEver. I had been booting open core by default as it was stable for me with 10.14.6 with 0.5.2 but upgrade to 0.5.3 broke that even after doing what I believed to have been proper config.plist updates for the new code.

Svenisak

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Please, forgive me if these are novice questions, but....

How do I install MouSSE? I have the .kext file. Should I start at step for, in the install instructions? (I have no .TGZ file, Just the .zip file that contains the AAAMouSSE.kext file the README.txt file.)

Also, is r0.38 still the latest version?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
Please, forgive me if these are novice questions, but....

How do I install MouSSE? I have the .kext file. Should I start at step for, in the install instructions? (I have no .TGZ file, Just the .zip file that contains the AAAMouSSE.kext file the README.txt file.)

Also, is r0.38 still the latest version?
The MouSSE thread (including installation instructions) is here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...emulation-to-enable-amd-metal-driver.2206682/

0.38 is the latest released version. There is a newer version being tested right now; it resolves some strange quirks that a few users observed, and fixes a bug (which no users have reported seeing in the field), but adds no new functionality. It will be posted on the official MouSSE thread when it is released (no estimated date just yet).

As an aside, the simplest (and least painful) way to install MouSSE is using one of the installers (such as dosdude1's), which will do all the "dirty work" for you. (Might be overkill if you've already got MacOS running, though.)

streak8047

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
Please tell is it possible to insert Rx580 Graphics card on MacPro 3.1 ,am try to fix not holding properly the big size cards ,there was any extra accessories needed for properly placing the card.

bradsax

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Hi, all! I used dosdude1's Catalina installer much the same as I did in the past for Sierra and high Sierra. Catalina works great using the old ATI HD2600. Of course, my new Nvidia card no longer is compatible so I planned to install and RX580. So far, that's been a no-go. I'm chose the option to install AAAMouSSE w/o legacy drivers and all I get is a black screen whether the HD2600 is installed in the machine concurrently or not. In system info the RX580 is just listed as "display" and kernel extension info states "No Kext Loaded". AAAMouSSE.kext is in /Library/Extensions/ Do I need to install ReFind separately, as well? Is there something else I should be looking for?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
Hi, all! I used dosdude1's Catalina installer much the same as I did in the past for Sierra and high Sierra. Catalina works great using the old ATI HD2600. Of course, my new Nvidia card no longer is compatible so I planned to install and RX580. So far, that's been a no-go. I'm chose the option to install AAAMouSSE w/o legacy drivers and all I get is a black screen whether the HD2600 is installed in the machine concurrently or not. In system info the RX580 is just listed as "display" and kernel extension info states "No Kext Loaded". AAAMouSSE.kext is in /Library/Extensions/ Do I need to install ReFind separately, as well? Is there something else I should be looking for?
Your question is probably best answered by @dosdude1 or someone with more knowledge of his patcher - it sounds like you may have the legacy video patch installed, even though you said you chose not to.

Since you mention seeing System Info, I assume you're able to boot to the desktop. Try the following:
  1. open a terminal window
  2. type kextstat | grep MouSSE <press ENTER>
You should either see a line containing AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE (0.xx) or nothing at all (just a return to your shell prompt). If you see the MouSSE line, MouSSE is loaded, and the problem lies elsewhere (again, my guess is that the legacy video patch is applied). If you don't see the MouSSE line, MouSSE is not loaded, and that's at least part of your problem.

Did you do a fresh install/reinstall of Catalina, or did you just re-run @dosdude1's patcher and un-select the legacy video driver? If you did the latter, that won't uninstall the legacy driver - you need to reinstall Catalina to do that.

bradsax

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Fresh install. Also, I went ahead and installed refind. That made the RX580 recognizable. Now I'm just working on hardware acceleration. I just haven't had a minute to update my post. Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

bradsax

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Your question is probably best answered by @dosdude1 or someone with more knowledge of his patcher - it sounds like you may have the legacy video patch installed, even though you said you chose not to.

Since you mention seeing System Info, I assume you're able to boot to the desktop. Try the following:
  1. open a terminal window
  2. type kextstat | grep MouSSE
You should either see a line containing AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE (0.xx) or nothing at all (just a return to your shell prompt). If you see the MouSSE line, MouSSE is loaded, and the problem lies elsewhere (again, my guess is that the legacy video patch is applied). If you don't see the MouSSE line, MouSSE is not loaded, and that's at least part of your problem.

Did you do a fresh install/reinstall of Catalina, or did you just re-run @dosdude1's patcher and un-select the legacy video driver? If you did the latter, that won't uninstall the legacy driver - you need to reinstall Catalina to do that.
AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE did appear when checking via terminal, and I'm using the RX580 but in system info the GPU still shows "Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded" instead of "Metal: ....."

bradsax

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
Issue resolved by reinstalling Catalina. I'm guessing that I ran legacy gpu drivers when I first installed Catalina. Now still trying to get hardware acceleration to work.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Reactions: bradsax

easyclix

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Hello everyone
I followed this guide but not with an RX580, with an nvidia GTX 780ti
I dont arrive to have an image with rEFInd with this graphical card, but yes with the original one (very very old)
I know that my rEFInd is well installed
I want to install rEFInd to boot OSX10.14.6 unsupp./W10/W7 on the mac pro 3.1
I am searching an .efi file to put in the EFI/refind/drivers64 to have an image of my bootscreen with my nvidia card
Do you think it is possible ? Can't find some infos about this on internet or in this global post
I have a w7+W10+OSX10.14 that are all running well but can't do the boot without choosing only the right Hard drive physically - argggg
Thanks to help me ;-)

nc_lee

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Hello everyone
I dont arrive to have an image with rEFInd with this graphical card, but yes with the original one (very very old)
I am searching an .efi file to put in the EFI/refind/drivers64 to have an image of my bootscreen with my nvidia card
Do you think it is possible ? Can't find some infos about this on internet or in this global post
I have a w7+W10+OSX10.14 that are all running well but can't do the boot without choosing only the right Hard drive physically - argggg
Thanks to help me ;-)
Nvidia cards are a whole different beast. They don't have drivers built into Mac OS, so this guide probably won't work for you.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Hello everyone
Thanks to help me ;-)
The Nvidia GPU doesnt have the required GOP (graphics output protocol) style video bios that is in all modern GPUs so this will not work. Doesn’t matter if macOS has drivers or not in this case.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018

Try the link to "New Instructions" in Post 16.
No guarantees it would work for your card as per the reasons outlined in the preceding posts but if anything has a chance of working, it will be that setup.

Would like to get a copy of the debug log from that setup with your GPU to see what's happening even if it doesn't work.

PS: From the debug log, you will be able to see how to select a bootloader (using a shortcut key ) if the pre-boot screen does not show.

phr0zen313

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2021
Hi,

I have a:
Mac Pro 3,1 2008
AMD RX570
OSX 10.15.7 Catalina installed with dosdude1.

Coming from a fresh install, VideoProc says that HEVC is activated but not H264.

I have followed post #594 as well as #1314 in the link you provided (Activate AMD HDW), but both instructions gives me a black screen without being able to boot back. 3xNVRM will not help, the only way back is fresh install.

What am I doing wrong? Please kindly help me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.