Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
That thing looks great and I very much like then concept of it.

Hopefully they'll update the Mini at some point.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
If Jobs was still alive and in charge does anyone have a doubt Steve would have left his computer and OS neglected to the point of meh? Don't you think he would have been on the bandwagon and a visionary for the new tech?

Oh, I might doubt it. Steve's focus was never on computers per se, but rather on "what's a cool tech that we can make simple and usable for the average consumer"? The Mac, from the very beginning, was Steve's attempt to make a very complex device into something as simple as a toaster. The iPod took the incredibly technical and fragmented world of mp3 players and turned them into something every kid (or adult!) could use. The iPhone took all the mystery out of the insular and complex smartphone world.

I don't think Steve really cared about setting up and maintaining a product line. He was always about finding the most powerful but complex technologies, and simplifying them. I think VR might have attracted him in this sense, but I can't believe he had any interest in, say, keeping the Mini or the Pro up-to-date. That sort of stuff would have just bored him.

(I kinda think the current Mac Pro is something of a tribute to Jobs, in that it's the kind of complete transformation of a product that would have caught his eye. Of course, he'd have axed it though, as he would have correctly noted that it really did nothing to make things simpler for the user...)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
dog wrote above:
"Point being there no hardware difference anymore. A Mac is just a PC with off the shelve parts with limited incompatibilities nowadays. Hence, the HP will probSbly run OS X with limited issues."

If Apple isn't interested in committing its own resources into developing Macs that are competitive with cutting-edge PC offerings, why not establish some kind of partnership with a few companies (such as HP and Intel)?

Let HP (or Intel, or someone else) bring forth the hardware pretty much as they would in a Windows configuration -- possibly with a few small mods for OS X -- and let Apple then take the (HP produced) unit, and re-bundle it with a tweaked version of the Mac OS.

Apple will still enjoy a big markup for added value, and users will get a [hopefully] good "box" with Mac OS (instead of Windows).

This would be different from the "clone era" of the late 1990's, during which Apple licensed the Mac OS to run on other companies' hardware. This time around, the hardware design might originate from others, but Apple will still package and sell the units "as an Apple-labeled" product.

I have a late-2012 Mini quad-core i7 that is going on four years old without a lick of trouble. A very nice design for its time, and the price was right as well considering the service I've gotten from it.

Can we hope to see a similar release again?

Snappers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
Two USB 3.1 Type-C
Two USB 2.0

Looking at the image of the back of the Slice, I see only one Type-C port. Two USB 2.0 and not even one measly 3.0. Too much compromise. I'll pass.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I admit to being a big fan of the small footprint computer. Mac Minis has a bit of love from 3rd party folks that provided some nice options such as Sonnet's offering that sits nicely under a Mini. Wonder if this would not be a bad fit for the HP as well (though not as pretty).

prod_echo15tbdock_l.png

Snappers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
I admit to being a big fan of the small footprint computer. Mac Minis has a bit of love from 3rd party folks that provided some nice options such as Sonnet's offering that sits nicely under a Mini. Wonder if this would not be a bad fit for the HP as well (though not as pretty).

prod_echo15tbdock_l.png
Dam... that thing as 92 Type-C ports on the front! SOLD!

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think it looks awesome. One of these equipped with i7 6700T and 32 Gigs would be very cool. But the price is in the high end. Looking forward for some reviews. Only, I think the price in Denmark will reach the sky :(

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Sigh.
It seems that Apple is like the rich kid left billions of dollars from daddies inheritance (Steve)
and now the kids at Apple are blowing through the Billions..
Jebus this current crop at Apple are so out of touch..they hobble the mini and now HP is
properly using their idea..and Apple puts out mac pros that start at $3500 and go up to what $10k?
Once the kids at Apple have blown through the iPhone money, then what?
Can the iPhone alone allow these trust fund kids to keep their country club memberships?
[doublepost=1473943342][/doublepost]
I think it looks awesome. One of these equipped with i7 6700T and 32 Gigs would be very cool. But the price is in the high end. Looking forward for some reviews. Only, I think the price in Denmark will reach the sky :(
You think thats high look at the hobbled Mac Mini!

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC
This HP Slice is beautiful and a decent price for the specs.

I'm in a quandary of what to do once my 2012 mini dies. I only use it as an HTPC for Plex Media Server and my main iTunes library. Both of those functions can be done in Windows using the Win10 version of the apps. I can remotely manage it using Microsoft Remote Desktop.

The only show stopper is that I need the wireless interfaces. I don't think this comes with an IR port or Bluetooth. So I couldn't control it with my existing peripherals (Harmony Hub and Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
The only show stopper is that I need the wireless interfaces. I don't think this comes with an IR port or Bluetooth. So I couldn't control it with my existing peripherals (Harmony Hub and Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad)

The specs seem to indicate that there is an optional wireless card that includes bluetooth. However, I don't see this option in the order page*.

I don't see anything about IR, but that can be added with a cheap USB dongle. Combine it with a USB extension cable and you can put the IR receptor anywhere you need it.

* The order page still seems to be messed up. Lots of options missing and the pricing on the lesser unit makes no sense at all.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Sigh.
It seems that Apple is like the rich kid left billions of dollars from daddies inheritance (Steve)
and now the kids at Apple are blowing through the Billions..
Jebus this current crop at Apple are so out of touch..they hobble the mini and now HP is
properly using their idea..and Apple puts out mac pros that start at $3500 and go up to what $10k?
Once the kids at Apple have blown through the iPhone money, then what?
Can the iPhone alone allow these trust fund kids to keep their country club memberships?

John Sculley years don't seem so bad now we have Cook and his clique.

Reactions: mkeeley and Aldaris

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
dog wrote above:
"John Sculley years don't seem so bad now we have Cook and his clique."

I remember that time.

On the "computer side of things", Apple today seems eerily similar to the mid 1990's.

That is to say, directionless.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
dog wrote above:

I remember that time.

On the "computer side of things", Apple today seems eerily similar to the mid 1990's.

Steve always talked about being where the puck was...

Watch Bands!

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
dog wrote above:

I remember that time.

Where's Gil Amelio when you need him?

Last edited:

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Lots of good and bad things about it; HP is positioning this as a business product, so every adapter, cover/module, spec upgrade, etc, adds a huge premium to the price as the base model is a little too barebone (no idea if this thing is upgrade-friendly, tho).

On the up side, it's got tons of potential and varying uses - the only major thing it lacks is a better GPU option, but it's supposed to be a business computer.. Also, all the most recent specs and connectivity in the world (save for a Kaby Lake processor, but this one uses desktop chips so they aren't even out yet).

On the down side, perhaps they have improved recently, but HP machines are typically a nightmare to deal with - tons of bloatware, crippled hardware, hours of tweaking to get things right, etc.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
This machine looks and sounds awesome, but they are trying to go for Apple's customers and not the general public. The reason the mini was a success in years past was because the compromises made in speed to get it to be that small were still good enough to make it a capable alternative to the pricier Mac alternatives. Even Apple has stopped making the mini into a fast machine in its own right and has just gutted it and leveraged it to sell more expensive alternatives.
HP has another mini that is very cheap but its underpowered. Again, if you want to beat the mini you need a fast enough alternative to more expensive systems at a price that is hard to beat.

Johnlpi

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
On second thought, at $1840 configured I don't think it's worth it. Might get an Intel NUC Skull instead.

HP Elite Slice G1 Ultra Small Form Factor PC W4V42AV
VESA Plate W5V97AV
Optical Disc Drive Module W6M51AV
HP Audio Module W6M50AV
HP Elite Slice USFF Fingerprint Sensor G1 Chassis X7A64AV
HP Slice Country Kit W6R25AV#ABA
Base Top cover W5W13AV
ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration Y0H28AV
512 GB SATA Self Encrypted (SED) Opal 2 TLC 2.5 Solid-State Drive (SSD) W5W34AV
No Keyboard Included Y0H30AV
HP Optical USB Mouse X1H31AV
Windows 10 Pro 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro W6P80AV#ABA
Single Unit Expansion Packaging W5W01AV
65 Watt External Power Supply W5T14AV
Intel® Core™ i7-6700T 2.8 8M HD 530 35 CPU W5W09AV
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2133 SODIMM W5S96AV
3/3/3 Year Warranty W6R33AV#ABA
Total:
$1840.00

Adz76

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Dagobah System
Been keeping an eye on this thread and to be fair the HP does look very tempting however, if I was going to take the plunge I think I would lean more towards this:

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/20

Be keen to know pricing and release date of the above .However if Apple suddenly decide to reinvest in the Mini and put some effort into it other than a marginal spec bump I'll be all over it in a flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.