Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Dammit you made me count them.

How many did you get? I came up with a bigillion.
[doublepost=1474735045][/doublepost]
Been keeping an eye on this thread and to be fair the HP does look very tempting however, if I was going to take the plunge I think I would lean more towards this:

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/20

Be keen to know pricing and release date of the above .However if Apple suddenly decide to reinvest in the Mini and put some effort into it other than a marginal spec bump I'll be all over it in a flash.

Ooh, I really like this one. I wonder if it will be Hackable, because if the mini isn't updated or is poorly updated, I'll be looking for something like this to run MacOS.

I like the stacking idea. Apple could make Apple TV part of the stack if it went that way. And/or, like this Gigabyte model, they could work off of the Airport tall form (sliding in the direction of a mimi Pro).

Reactions: Cape Dave

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Been keeping an eye on this thread and to be fair the HP does look very tempting however, if I was going to take the plunge I think I would lean more towards this:

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/20

Be keen to know pricing and release date of the above .However if Apple suddenly decide to reinvest in the Mini and put some effort into it other than a marginal spec bump I'll be all over it in a flash.

This was like announced in March or close to it. So, um, where the heck is it? I hate when they do that.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
why should I continue using OS X on other machines?
Old software that you still use; e.g. Photoshop 5.5 or Ancient Word. I keep one old mini running just so I can play music and System 9 compatible games. That said, I've ordered an M900 Lenovo for the future.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

V.Islandicus

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

With more modular options added:

HP-Slice-1.jpg

And the back:
big_img2_tcm245_2315078_tcm245_2313337_tcm245-2315078.jpg

Specs:
Up to sixth-generation Intel Core i7
Up to 32GB of RAM
Two USB 3.1 Type-C
Two USB 2.0
DisplayPort and HDMI
Ethernet
Headphone/microphone jacks
Optional fingerprint sensor for authentication

Modular options:
Optical drive module
Speaker/mic/speakerphone module
Collaboration Cover (Skype conferencing)
Wireless Phone Charging Cover
VESA plate for industry standard mounting options

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/elite-slice/overview.html

----------------------------

Frankly, it's gorgeous. A lot of companies have made small powerful computers that blow away the Mac Mini from a "specs" perspective but this is the first time I've seen one that also looks better than a Mac Mini.
[doublepost=1491771641][/doublepost]Will get mine tomorrow (i7, 256GB...). Had my first Apple 1988. Still have iMac (2007), iPad Pro 9,7, iPhone 6, Apple TV, Time Capsule 2TB. BUT now I also have Chromecast and audocast and will get Samsung Curve 100Hz and HP Elite Slice. So this is bye to Apple. Tired of old iMacs, Mac Mini and frankly no WOW followed with some watch bands. I am am leaving the boat since 1988 then many more are. So I am a gone long time customer of Apple!

49JC

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
[doublepost=1491771641][/doublepost]Will get mine tomorrow (i7, 256GB...). Had my first Apple 1988. Still have iMac (2007), iPad Pro 9,7, iPhone 6, Apple TV, Time Capsule 2TB. BUT now I also have Chromecast and audocast and will get Samsung Curve 100Hz and HP Elite Slice. So this is bye to Apple. Tired of old iMacs, Mac Mini and frankly no WOW followed with some watch bands. I am am leaving the boat since 1988 then many more are. So I am a gone long time customer of Apple!
Exactly, see Apple how hard is it to make something like this and slap Sierra on it? This would have been what I was looking for in a mini.

Jim L

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
The Piedmont, NC

:cool:Nice unit! I'm looking at exactly the same model to replace my mini as well.

I've gotten rid of my Airport Extreme and Airport Time Capsule.
I've been a customer for 10 years. May not leave the ecosystem entirely, but I am scaling way back and no longer buy a new iPhone/iPad every year. I don't really see Apple as a single source solution anymore. As long as certain products work for me, I'll use them. But the glue to their ecosystem is definitely coming undone.

Reactions: phrehdd and Aldaris

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I am aware, and that's cool. But if you're going to put the other USB form favtor in there, why 2, instead of 3? It makes no sense.

Well, USB 3's advantage is in terms of raw throughput, which is extremely useful for SSDs, HDs, possibly even external monitors... and not much else. If you've got a USB2 keyboard and mouse, it's kind of a waste to use USB3 ports for them. (Plus, the vast majority of existing USB devices have USB2 cables. It's kind of a pain to constantly have to use adapters to get your older hardware to work, as many new Apple laptop owners can now attest to!)

EDIT: And yeah, I know you can plug USB2 cables into the non-C type USB 3 ports. :) But still, if you've got devices that don't need the speed of USB 3, it is still a little cheaper to use USB 2 hardware...

Reactions: BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Well, USB 3's advantage is in terms of raw throughput, which is extremely useful for SSDs, HDs, possibly even external monitors... and not much else. If you've got a USB2 keyboard and mouse, it's kind of a waste to use USB3 ports for them. (Plus, the vast majority of existing USB devices have USB2 cables. It's kind of a pain to constantly have to use adapters to get your older hardware to work, as many new Apple laptop owners can now attest to!)

EDIT: And yeah, I know you can plug USB2 cables into the non-C type USB 3 ports. :) But still, if you've got devices that don't need the speed of USB 3, it is still a little cheaper to use USB 2 hardware...

Yeaaaa I understand, but it can't be THAT much of a difference. USB 2 has simply become obsolete, in my mind. Now, some guy buys that, and his USB 3 external disk drive can't be used at it's highest potential. Now he has to buy a dongle just to use his USB 3 HD at it's full potential, in the C port.

Now I'm interested in the actual cost difference, in production, to install those 2s in the place of where 3s shoild go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.