Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
You will be astonished if you ask how many Canadians are annoyed by their American neighbour now, which is not the case years ago.

As a Canadian, I'm disturbed how my brethren are willing to overlook genocide, live human organ harvesting, prisoners of conscious, slave labour, child labour, etc. just so they can have their cheap Chinese plastic trinkets.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
It's called a patent and not if Apple or Samsung want to legally use Huawei's tech.

"A patent is a title that gives its owner the legal right to exclude others from making, using, or selling an invention for a limited period of years in exchange for publishing an enabling public disclosure of the invention. In most countries, patent rights fall under private law and the patent holder must sue someone infringing the patent in order to enforce his or her rights."

Patents don't mean squat without a mechanism to enforce them.

I can say you owe me a hundred million dollars for this great idea I came up with. I can even sue you for it. I could even win that lawsuit. But with no mechanism to enforce the judgement, it may as well be written on a McDonald's hamburger wrapper.

Joe Schmektel in Australia says I owe him $100,000. He sues me in Australia and wins. Then what happens?

Nothing. No one in Australia can garnish my wages or seize my US bank accounts. It's like having an arrest warrant in the Soviet Union in 1982 and living in Boise Idaho. Nothing happens. It's not enforceable. So it's a moot point.

The best Huawei could do would be to sue Apple and Samsung in Chinese Court. Everyone knows that will either end with Huawei winning a specious judgement because of the venue, or the Chinese Courts being told by their handlers that Apple has to win for "reasons" Those reasons being Apple's manufacturing base in China.

Either way, no one really BELEIVES the Chinese Courts will rule impartially in the case, so negotiate, demand, sue all you like. Nothing will come of it in the end.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
If it won't with the 5G chip implanted with my covid vaccines, I'm not interested.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Does Huawei owe 'royalties' to Canada's Nortel? As Nortel imploded due to mismanagement, the then-little company Huawei was there to hack-into and steal/download Nortel's research and technology.

Huawei couldn't hack BlackBerry. Plan B, buy the patents from BlackBerry.

Reactions: Ursadorable and B4U

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
It’s just so pathetic seeing how many Americans here hate anything Chinese just because their main stream media and their government always say biased ***** towards China.

You will be astonished if you ask how many Canadians are annoyed by their American neighbour now, which is not the case years ago.
This message brought to you by the CCP.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
It’s just so pathetic seeing how many Americans here hate anything Chinese just because their main stream media and their government always say biased ***** towards China.

I'm not American so appreciate it wasn't aimed at me, but I'm personally against genocide and severe prejudice against a group of people solely because of their beliefs or culture. Just somes stuff to have a look at, not from your typical 'fake news' main stream media:

Huawei patent mentions Uighur-spotting tech: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55634388

Just why would Huawei need to create facial recognition tech that can identify a specific ethnic group if not for the Chinese government, given the atrocities it is committing against this group of people?

Here's just one of the awful accounts:

The above is a very long read but well worth it just to begin to understand the disgusting, inhumane treatment Uighur people are facing at the hands of the government.

...but yes, of course, let's just say it's all made up fake news and misinformation from the main stream media.

Reactions: Stratus Fear

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada

Oh, you speak for Canadians. Are you the PM commenting on MacRumors? I am Canadian and annoyed by China’s communist party with-an-emperor Jinping.

The US is our ally. Who cares about China. China is North Korea with a better economy.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
As a Canadian, I'm disturbed how my brethren are willing to overlook genocide, live human organ harvesting, prisoners of conscious, slave labour, child labour, etc. just so they can have their cheap Chinese plastic trinkets.
Genocide is what you did to the natives of your colonized and enslaved country. Why don't you just release Meng Wanzhou and keep to your own business instead of spreading poop?

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I believe that CCP has done many ****** things. I just wanted to say that people should be able to tell the difference between CCP and Chinese people, or Chinese firms.

How mull bull s*** does the communist party preach about the West in China? Their media is totally controlled by 'the party'. The Chinese in China appear to mostly fully support whatever their government does...while they sink slowly into the darkness of their enormous surveillance state.

• Disagree
Reactions: jack1234567 and B4U

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
I'm not American so appreciate it wasn't aimed at me, but I'm personally against genocide and severe prejudice against a group of people solely because of their beliefs or culture. Just somes stuff to have a look at, not from your typical 'fake news' main stream media:

Huawei patent mentions Uighur-spotting tech: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55634388

Just why would Huawei need to create facial recognition tech that can identify a specific ethnic group if not for the Chinese government, given the atrocities it is committing against this group of people?

Here's just one of the awful accounts:

The above is a very long read but well worth it just to begin to understand the disgusting, inhumane treatment Uighur people are facing at the hands of the government.

...but yes, of course, let's just say it's all made up fake news and misinformation from the main stream media.
Yes, it is made up. Not so much by the media, but by people with an agenda, like realizing the notion of an "East Turkestan" nation and such splittism.

Yes, you will find individual accounts of abuse, just like you will in Abu Ghraib and Guantánamo, but you will not find the systematic stuff (as in My Lai and other of the countless American massacres on civilian people) media is hinting at (citing "research" by Adrian Zenz). Because that is completely absurd in a Chinese context.

Reactions: darg

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011

I'm not American and I hate anything Chinese

• Disagree
Reactions: jack1234567 and B4U

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Oh, you speak for Canadians. Are you the PM commenting on MacRumors? I am Canadian and annoyed by China’s communist party with-an-emperor Jinping.

The US is our ally. Who cares about China. China is North Korea with a better economy.
Canada and Trudealeu have no place on the world scene. They are but puppets of the US, silly pelt traders who think they are the consciousness of the world, stupid timber fellers who think they can play hockey…

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Yes, it is made up. Not so much by the media, but by people with an agenda, like realizing the notion of an "East Turkestan" nation and such splittism.

Yes, you will find individual accounts of abuse, just like you will in Abu Ghraib and Guantánamo, but you will not find the systematic stuff (as in My Lai and other of the countless American massacres on civilian people) media is hinting at (citing "research" by Adrian Zenz). Because that is completely absurd in a Chinese context.

Right, 1,000,000 individual accounts of abuse. The camps in China are there. There are videos and pictures.

Even a show like "The Grand Tour" shows the massive surveillance BS in China. Their episode on a large city in China shows it...with humour.

• Disagree
Reactions: darg and ericwn

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Very good question.. Taiwan. And I'm glad you pointed that out, since China is also actively threatening to invade Taiwan and strip them of their resources, both human, technology and democracy. China is running military activities over the independent nation.

Any other questions?
Does the "independent nation" perchance have an embassy in your country?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The best Huawei could do would be to sue Apple and Samsung in Chinese Court.
What makes you think that? They can (and have in the past) sue Amerian companies over patent infringement in US or European courts. They can of course also sue them in Chinese courts (which could possibly result in rulings prohibiting sales of affected products in China, which would badly hurt Apple).

Sadly the US doesn't have any leading telecom equipment makers left. That era ended when Lucent was first merged with Alcatel and later acquired by Nokia.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
How mull bull s*** does the communist party preach about the West in China? Their media is totally controlled by 'the party'. The Chinese in China appear to mostly fully support whatever their government does...while they sink slowly into the darkness of their enormous surveillance state.

And lets not forget the CCP sponsored Confucius Institute that operates throughout the world, spreading CCP ideology to the free world.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Right, 1,000,000 individual accounts of abuse. The camps in China are there. There are videos and pictures.

Even a show like "The Grand Tour" shows the massive surveillance BS in China. Their episode on a large city in China shows it...with humour.
It's called weaponizing human rights. Next time there is a real genocide, people will turn the other way, because you guys screamed bloody murder when poor people were deradicalized and educated for the betterment of themselves and society.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.