Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Where do I start?

IPhone 8 Plus that worked like a charm with iOS 12, now virtually worthless with iOS 13.

Mail app all screwed up.
- replies and forwards don’t show anything beyond the top two lines of the original email
- attachments don’t download
- attachments don’t attach
- some mail doesn’t arrive then pops up later

Webpages don’t load
Apps crash

I’m done with it.

Apple..you suck.

I am going to try to go back to iOS12.

Reactions: Mac2019

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I'm also still using an 8 Plus and so far the only notable issue I have is screwy autocorrect with the keyboard. That's not to discount your own problems - I understand it's frustrating when things don't work properly - but I don't necessarily think your experience is universal. Fresh install is worth a shot.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Where do I start?

IPhone 8 Plus that worked like a charm with iOS 12, now virtually worthless with iOS 13.

Mail app all screwed up.
- replies and forwards don’t show anything beyond the top two lines of the original email
- attachments don’t download
- attachments don’t attach
- some mail doesn’t arrive then pops up later

Webpages don’t load
Apps crash

I’m done with it.

Apple..you suck.

I have literally 0 issues with iOS 13. I did clean install, none of that restore/backup stuff. Setup as new phone and you should be fine.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
Can you even downgrade to iOS 12 now? Didn't they stop signing it ages ago?

Even so, try a fresh install of iOS 13.2 and you should in theory be fine. You could be an edge case.

Reactions: artfossil

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yep don’t have those issues either. And I didn’t really install it fresh but that’s something you should definitely try.

Also you can’t go back to iOS 12. So avoiding the issue won’t help as much as trying to fix it.

And still people complain when apple rolls out fixes sooner these days.

Reactions: artfossil

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You will need a jailbreak.

Currently there is the possibility that checkra1n, which is a tethered bootrom exploit, can allow downgrades without SHSH blobs. You have an 8+, so that'll work with this exploit - but I cannot provide any details. checkra1n is in beta.

Otherwise, you need the blobs of the firmware you want to downgrade to. But you have to start with the jailbreak and currently checkra1n is all there is for iOS 13.

If you're angry now, you're going to be more angry to find out just how well Apple shuts and locks the door to prevent downgrading.
[automerge]1574167767[/automerge]
Can you even downgrade to iOS 12 now? Didn't they stop signing it ages ago?

Even so, try a fresh install of iOS 13.2 and you should in theory be fine. You could be an edge case.
You can, theoretically. But you need a jailbreak first.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If you're angry now, you're going to be more angry to find out just how well Apple shuts and locks the door to prevent downgrading.

Personally I’m of the opinion that this is a plus point. Supporting older version is just a world of pain for any software development company. Let alone a complex system as a full fledged OS.

By pushing people forward Apple avoid lazy users who doesn’t update and still keep complaining about issues.

As a tech stack it’s much easier to patch one linear development branch than multiple forks of the code base.

Yes from time to time there will be bugs as development moves forward that’s just the nature of the industry and I’m glad that Apple has moved to more rapid releases than waiting for months long cycle. Agile development is the best way forward.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Personally I’m of the opinion that this is a plus point. Supporting older version is just a world of pain for any software development company. Let alone a complex system as a full fledged OS.

By pushing people forward Apple avoid lazy users who doesn’t update and still keep complaining about issues.

As a tech stack it’s much easier to patch one linear development branch than multiple forks of the code base.

Yes from time to time there will be bugs as development moves forward that’s just the nature of the industry and I’m glad that Apple has moved to more rapid releases than waiting for months long cycle. Agile development is the best way forward.
All good points.

There is an opposite side of course. You should be free to use whichever firmware you wish that the phone can run. The argument of course against that is that you didn't purchase just the phone, but a license to use iOS and therefore you don't own iOS.

It's an old argument in the jailbreak community.

Personally, I subscribe to self-responsibility. As a jailbreaker I understand that I am taking my own security and support into my own hands. It's really a non-starter anyway as the first thing Apple is going to require for any support is that you update. Downgrading has always been difficult. So much so that I have never jumped through the hoops necessary to do it because it's not so important to me. That may change with checkra1n making things easier, but we'll see.

Reactions: akash.nu

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not really sure it's even possible to downgrade to iOS 12 at this time. Fresh install is the only option unless you have Apple Care and they can help you in some way, but even Apple is going to recommend a fresh install.

As for the email issue, Apple Mail has been unreliable for some time now and people refusing to use another service and/or app to fetch email confuse me. You know how Apple Mail can be and you complain about not getting BUSINESS emails? Really? Gmail and Outlook are both free and as much as I dislike Gmail, I have had only TWO issues in 10+ years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not really sure it's even possible to downgrade to iOS 12 at this time.
As I stated above, yes it it. You just need a jailbreak and SHSH blobs for the firmware you want to go to. In the near future, with checkra1n it may be possible to do this without blobs.

But stock - no. Apple prevents this.

Reactions: jbachandouris

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Apple stopped signing iOS 12 so you can't downgrade anymore AFAIK.

Also, try a DFU mode restore; the ultimate factory reset.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
All good points.

There is an opposite side of course. You should be free to use whichever firmware you wish that the phone can run. The argument of course against that is that you didn't purchase just the phone, but a license to use iOS and therefore you don't own iOS.

It's an old argument in the jailbreak community.

Personally, I subscribe to self-responsibility. As a jailbreaker I understand that I am taking my own security and support into my own hands. It's really a non-starter anyway as the first thing Apple is going to require for any support is that you update. Downgrading has always been difficult. So much so that I have never jumped through the hoops necessary to do it because it's not so important to me. That may change with checkra1n making things easier, but we'll see.

This is a valid argument. However, most people posting here are not technically proficient enough to be self responsible, including me.

Apple’s problem is that people running older versions of iOS will have bugs and not get new features as apps and hardware change over time, probably more than the upgraded OS has. Those people will not be happy and will not understand why and blame Apple or developers. Jailbreaking can get you things that you don‘t have otherwise, but you’ll lose other things too. And if you’re using Apple Pay or online banking/purchasing, that’s something you’d probably want to forego with a jailbroken phone, or at least I would.

I think that Apple’s approach, as inconvenient as it is sometimes is the best for most of their customers. There’s a partial solution though, wait on upgrading, especially to the XX.0 releases, they’re usually buggy to some extent. Wait a few iterations and keep an eye on the MR forums and tech websites, they report on bugs regularly. If your device is stable and suits you, there’s no need to immediately upgrade to a XX.0 release.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Erase it and setup as a new iPhone. Did you have a backup of your iPhone before you upgraded? If so and you backed up locally on a computer using iTunes or to iCloud you can simply restore your backup after the phone has been completely erased and the iOS restored.
If you don’t have a backup I would be tempted to say why not? It is the first thing Apple advises before an upgrade of anything.
Regardless you can still connect the iPhone to iTunes via USB and erase and restore as a new iPhone assuming you have your Apple ID and email passwords ect.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is a valid argument. However, most people posting here are not technically proficient enough to be self responsible, including me.

Apple’s problem is that people running older versions of iOS will have bugs and not get new features as apps and hardware change over time, probably more than the upgraded OS has. Those people will not be happy and will not understand why and blame Apple or developers. Jailbreaking can get you things that you don‘t have otherwise, but you’ll lose other things too. And if you’re using Apple Pay or online banking/purchasing, that’s something you’d probably want to forego with a jailbroken phone, or at least I would.

I think that Apple’s approach, as inconvenient as it is sometimes is the best for most of their customers. There’s a partial solution though, wait on upgrading, especially to the XX.0 releases, they’re usually buggy to some extent. Wait a few iterations and keep an eye on the MR forums and tech websites, they report on bugs regularly. If your device is stable and suits you, there’s no need to immediately upgrade to a XX.0 release.
Both sides of the argument have their good points and I'm not here to argue one side or the other, although I do have my own side on this. My main reason in bringing up jailbreaking/downgrading was simply to rebut an automatic assumption that I believed OP was making. Mainly, that just because OP thought of it, he could downgrade. While it's possible jailbroken, most people are stopped simply by the mention of the word 'jailbreak'. Essentially, I was trying to slam the door on that sort of thinking. You cannot just downgrade with a snap of your fingers because the current firmware irritates you. It doesn't work that way. I was hoping to save OP the additional frustration of finding that out the hard way - as he was already frustrated.

Reactions: Azathoth123

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I had been using iOS 9.3,5 for the last four years and it has been (and still is) flawless. Everything works perfectly. That's why I never upgraded. Well I finally got a new iPhone and started it off on iOS 13 and what a hot mess of garbage this version is (compared to iOS 9). Although it seems iOS 13 is slowly getting fixed with each update, it leaves such a bad impression on Aples iOS dev team -pushing out unfinished garbage to millions of customers to suffer through.

I had a principal, never to install a new version of iOS until August when it was done, but this new iPhone threw that idea out the window cuz it came with iOS 13.0 on it..... But I'm telling everyone,,,, if you want a good iPhone experience without endless headaches and without wasting soooo much time with endless bug fix updates one after the other -_- don't install a new version of iOS until August!!!

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Perform a factory reset.
Not always the fix. This has done nothing to fix my issues.
[automerge]1574179734[/automerge]
Erase it and setup as a new iPhone. Did you have a backup of your iPhone before you upgraded? If so and you backed up locally on a computer using iTunes or to iCloud you can simply restore your backup after the phone has been completely erased and the iOS restored.
If you don’t have a backup I would be tempted to say why not? It is the first thing Apple advises before an upgrade of anything.
Regardless you can still connect the iPhone to iTunes via USB and erase and restore as a new iPhone assuming you have your Apple ID and email passwords ect.
This doesn't fix the issues as the bugs are simply brought forward in the software. Or at least with mine they certainly have been.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Anyone else have an email notification from Macrumors that when you delete it from your mailbox, it just keeps reappearing?

I have an email that I cannot delete. As soon as I delete it, it reappears it just happens to be an email notification from one of the threads here.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had been using iOS 9.3,5 for the last four years and it has been (and still is) flawless. Everything works perfectly. That's why I never upgraded. Well I finally got a new iPhone and started it off on iOS 13 and what a hot mess of garbage this version is (compared to iOS 9). Although it seems iOS 13 is slowly getting fixed with each update, it leaves such a bad impression on Aples iOS dev team -pushing out unfinished garbage to millions of customers to suffer through.

I had a principal, never to install a new version of iOS until August when it was done, but this new iPhone threw that idea out the window cuz it came with iOS 13.0 on it..... But I'm telling everyone,,,, if you want a good iPhone experience without endless headaches and without wasting soooo much time with endless bug fix updates one after the other -_- don't install a new version of iOS until August!!!
My 6s+ is still on 9.0.2. That said, I've never been a fan of anything between iOS 6 and iOS 13. I have 13 on my iPad and so far it's been decent. As I use it I can see little touches that I like.

Not enough for me to ditch my jailbreak and update my iPhone to iOS 13 though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.