Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I came back to iOS several months ago after some years with android devices. That all started so well. My iPad Pro was shipped with 12.3..and I was happy with my decision to switch back. It was short lived.

Since ios13 (iPadOS) my reminders don’t remind me. My browser refreshes like it was year 2000. Shortcuts are unreliable. Navigating keyboard, highlighting text etc is worse than ever..list Goes on, for me.

I think my iPhone is doing better, however that also has issues. Reminders. Email etc.

Since it’s only been a few months since iOS 13 dropped I’m presuming further updates to come should address most these issues but admittedly things like missing reminders for months now has me questioning if switching to iOS was a good decision or simply bad timing (pre major update)

My smartphone really doesn’t seem too smart with this version and I can honestly see how new adopters to Apple devices may be turned off. I myself am prepared to wait it out but I worry that by the time all the bugs are rectified Apple will be readying iOS14 ? inevitably carrying me through an endless cycle of updates, bugs & fixes. Can I expect a lull..a period where everything just works before they announce another major update?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Mail is the one thing I also grew weary of even when 13 was live. Eventually just went to Outlook.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Can I expect a lull..a period where everything just works before they announce another major update?

Welcome to the iOS Merry Go Round. Same BS every year this time of year.

Pro Tip: If jumping through endless hoops with every new version of iOS has got you down, wait to install a new version IN AUGUST.
If you're using a new iPhone, well you're screwed, but for everyone else, only one iOS upgrade needs to be done each year ... IN AUGUST.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucas284

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I have literally 0 issues with iOS 13. I did clean install, none of that restore/backup stuff. Setup as new phone and you should be fine.
And when that doesn’t fix anything? Email is broken. Apple clearly has no idea how to fix it

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i will run right out and buy that new iPhone... not

ios 13.2.3
i have random software malfunction that makes my iPhone 7 90% functional. Likely that is what apple wanted to do in the first place

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom

ios 13.2.3
i have random software malfunction that makes my iPhone 7 90% functional. Likely that is what apple wanted to do in the first place

Incorrect. There are millions of iPhone users using iPhone 8,7,6S,SE etc who are experiencing no issues running the latest iOS update. The few posts on here suggest that if you are experiencing problems, it will be an app causing issues or your phone has a fault that may not have been apparent on the older software.

Apple don’t make software to make old phones useless otherwise it would be reported everywhere regarding problems, which it isn’t.

In my household I’ve got the 11 Pro, an SE and two 6S phones all running the latest software and all performing without an issue.

If that was the case for your own experience, why did you not return to the older software when you had the opportunity to do so?

Reactions: akash.nu

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I just find it incredible that Apple can’t fix email. Their own email app. All other mail apps work fine.

I’m ready to try another email app but I really prefer using Apple apps for ecosystem integration. Come on Apple step up and fix this.

Now suddenly iMessages are delivered but don’t jump up to the top of the list. The new message is down where the last text from that person was. Apple has lost some focus with iOS. It used to work far better.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah part kinda sucks, by great I meant not buggy like 13.0 was. My XS battery life has been about the same, not sure why the 8 took a dive.
My battery is ok on my 11 pro max but I have email bugs messaging bugs

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017

ios 13.2.3
It’s the nature of smartphones. Your phone launched with iOS 10. This is the fourth version of iOS it’s had, and your frustrated it doesn’t work as well as it did with iOS 10 or 11? It’s not Apple trying to slow the phone down to get you to upgrade. If you don’t like the performance hit, buy an iPhone and only update it once. Top of the line android phones get 2 updates and maybe 3 in very rare situations. iPhone 7 owners have already gotten their money’s worth.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Top of the line android phones get 2 updates and maybe 3 in very rare situations.

I actually wish Apple did this. Any android phone I have ever owned, flagships and non fs have come to the end of their update cycles at absolutely peak performance. They run at their very best when major updates cease and continue to receive security patches a further 2-3 years later. I have an old note 4 laying around that I switched on a few months ago and it immediately started downloading a security update. I kinda figured it was belated updates but the date was for July 2019. That thing is literally 6 years old now and I’m not exaggerating when I say it still runs as fast as the day it was purchased.

Long iOS update cycles always tinged with uncertainty in my experience. There’s a fair amount of waiting, wondering if this will be the “dreaded” update and I’m forever waiting for others to take the plunge first and post here/elsewhere to gauge wether it’s a safe update and even then everyone’s requirements & usage patterns will often yield conflicting advice. There’s simply no guessing and/or wondering with a Samsung device. It may not run the very latest android version (although remedied with custom roms) but it will function indefinitely, post final update at peak performance and speed.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I actually wish Apple did this. Any android phone I have ever owned, flagships and non fs have come to the end of their update cycles at absolutely peak performance. They run at their very best when major updates cease and continue to receive security patches a further 2-3 years later. I have an old note 4 laying around that I switched on a few months ago and it immediately started downloading a security update. I kinda figured it was belated updates but the date was for July 2019. That thing is literally 6 years old now and I’m not exaggerating when I say it still runs as fast as the day it was purchased.

Long iOS update cycles always tinged with uncertainty in my experience. There’s a fair amount of waiting, wondering if this will be the “dreaded” update and I’m forever waiting for others to take the plunge first and post here/elsewhere to gauge wether it’s a safe update and even then everyone’s requirements & usage patterns will often yield conflicting advice. There’s simply no guessing and/or wondering with a Samsung device. It may not run the very latest android version (although remedied with custom roms) but it will function indefinitely, post final update at peak performance and speed.
There's that, and then there's tons of people who will be outraged that Apple isn't providing updates for their devices after only a very short period of time and is basically practicing planned obsolescence in essence forcing them to buy newer devices to get newer features from newer OS versions.

Reactions: GlenK

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017

Samsung phones are accused of slowing down within a year, which is funny. I spent thousands on the new galaxy phone for myself and my wife every release for years. Your theory is flawed because you don’t *have* to download the latest iOS if you’re worried it will slow down your phone. I’d much rather have it and not use it than have Apple go to a 2/3 year support cycle and leave us in the dark after that. I have never owned a phone for 3 years, but it just makes sense to have as many updates as you can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.