Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
So I use 3 storage services, smugmug, dropbox, onedrive. Each of them is unique in certain way that makes it worthwhile. I upgraded to iOS11 and there seems to be some kind of integration between Files app and dropbox and onedrive. But besides viewing files I don't seem to be able to do anything else. Am I missing some features here?

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
no use for it here, onedrive app works better. "deleted" it already

everyone has their own usage case

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
So I use 3 storage services, smugmug, dropbox, onedrive. Each of them is unique in certain way that makes it worthwhile. I upgraded to iOS11 and there seems to be some kind of integration between Files app and dropbox and onedrive. But besides viewing files I don't seem to be able to do anything else. Am I missing some features here?
I’m able to open PDFs stored in external cloud services (like Dropbox) and utilize markup, share, etc.

My understanding is that the Files app serves as a place to aggregate cloud (and local) storage services. What is it that you were expecting?

Reactions: Armen

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The apps themselves need to be updated to support the iOS files app (see dropbox as an example of what can be done). With the files app, you will be able to view your various cloud files from within the same app and manage them without needing to switch between them.

Reactions: Knightcastle

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
You can use it to save stuff to your phone instead of a cloud service, if you wish. Without the need of syncing through iTunes, and through iOS itself without a 3rd party software.

Sometimes when I know the area I'm heading to doesn't have good data coverage, I can save my stuff locally before hand for use later.
[doublepost=1506235764][/doublepost]
The apps themselves need to be updated to support the iOS files app (see dropbox as an example of what can be done). With the files app, you will be able to view your various cloud files from within the same app and manage them without needing to switch between them.

This. So far I have one app that works with it, and appears under "On My Phone." When I delete stuff while in Files, the stuff in that third party app is also deleted. Doesn't work the same with cloud services though.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
So my experience with Files so far is I can open files from other providers fine but I can’t save files back to the location I opened them. Example:

• Open a Numbers file from a NAS SMB/CIFS share using FileExplorer’s integration into Files.
  • Spreadsheet opens in Numbers fine
  • Make changes.
  • Can’t save back to Original location. Defaults to iCloud Drive
  • Save there and go back to Files. Can’t drag and drop back to NAS share.

I just want to be able to open and save file back to a NAS share directly. I’m hoping this is because FileExplorer hasn’t adopted all the new APIs yet.....but if it has and this is all that’s available, this isn’t going to work. It’s iCloud Drive or nothing.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
It's easy to check: does FileExplorer bring up a separate panel in the Files app, or does it look like iCloud Drive? If it opens a separated panel, it means it has not been updated.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

I have all my data in iCloud Drive or Dropbox. For me the big thing is being able to create Favourites in Files which are shortcuts to the half dozen folders I use most in both Dropbox and iCloud.

In iOS 10 it was necessary to start with either the Dropbox icon or the iCloud Drive icon and navigate through several levels to reach them.

Now they are all on one screen...wonderful, a huge improvement.

Wherever you are in Files you can get back to the top level Files home page by clicking "browse" button at the bottom.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
It's easy to check: does FileExplorer bring up a separate panel in the Files app, or does it look like iCloud Drive? If it opens a separated panel, it means it has not been updated.

Yes, its opening a separate panel (see below)

B04098D2-F642-4E8A-B573-2923ECFFE513.png

I guess there is hope that this functionaliy I want is possible.

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Okay so for me I open Files app and all it has is shortcuts to my Dropbox and Onedrive account. How is that improvement from opening Dropbox and Onedrive directly? I have to do 2 clicks to get to my directory via Files app versus 1 click if I go directly to the app.
I don't see any option to save files locally. Only option to save to iCloud or one of my other online accounts.

Reactions: roncron

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Okay so for me I open Files app and all it has is shortcuts to my Dropbox and Onedrive account. How is that improvement from opening Dropbox and Onedrive directly? I have to do 2 clicks to get to my directory via Files app versus 1 click if I go directly to the app.
I don't see any option to save files locally. Only option to save to iCloud or one of my other online accounts.

See my post #10.

Presumably you don't want to go to the root level of Dropbox and iCloud...so now you can add favourites for the most used folders. Saves me a lot of time.

gregor.hoch

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Very disappointed in the Files app as well. The biggest limitation is that I can’t edit files in place with other apps and assign a default app for each file type. But I already new that. Now I learned other things that suck:

- I can’t drag and drop files between locations. For example, Dropbox and iCloud Drive. Why? Come on!
- No offline files (e.g. when I set files as offline in the Dropbox app)
Etc etc

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Pointless. Its like they're doing Maps again.
Apps that actually use the files can open and work with them without issue already.
And there's no folder showing the locally stored files.
Already tossed into my 'Junk Drawer' folder on the phone - with most of Apple's iOS apps.

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
See my post #10.

Presumably you don't want to go to the root level of Dropbox and iCloud...so now you can add favourites for the most used folders. Saves me a lot of time.
Favorites are shortcuts. I guess I want more out of the app in order to justify keeping it on my screen. I’m gonna see if I can move files out of the iCloud and delete the shortcut aggregator aka Files app.

Netman

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
The future of Files app is to be iOS Finder, I guess, Apple is aware of and working on it, I hope.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I think it will be a little while before it becomes useful. Once third party apps have opened up their files to Files it will have more purpose.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
- I can’t drag and drop files between locations. For example, Dropbox and iCloud Drive. Why? Come on!

I just updated Dropbox, and this function is now available. You can drag and drop between dropbox and iCloud or your phone. Anything deleted on Dropbox through Files will be deleted on Dropbox.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

not entirely sure if i am missing your point but its clear that it was intended mainly for iCloud Drive users who have an upgraded iCloud storage plan and especially those who have enabled storing their mac's desktop and documents folder files in iCloud, in order to access across all devices both iOS and macOS.
all of my mac desktop and documents folders are reproduced as is, as i made them, in iCloud. i wouldn't use iCloud without being able to store things exactly where i want them stored.

this is directly from the apple website and includes info about files and folders and locations on 3rd party servers:

Access your Desktop and Documents files on another device
When you add your Desktop and Documents to iCloud Drive, all of your files move to iCloud and any new files you create are automatically stored in iCloud too. Then you can find your documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on all of your devices.

If you want to store your files in iCloud Drive and another cloud storage service, you can keep copies of your files in both, but you can't keep folders from a third-party cloud service in iCloud Drive. You can keep your other cloud service folders in a different place on your Mac, like the home folder.
endquote

if you don't have iCloud, then Files is of no substantial value to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: redgreenski

EdUniverse

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
If/When Google Drive updates to allow drag and drop in files, I might actually use the app. Although, another problem is that you don’t get to see the folder with the photos stored on your phone in the app. That needs to be allowed, coz all I can see is the GarageBand folder that just has songs I’ve imported into garage band. Pretty useless at the moment.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

The File app is the holy grail of the iOS dream-feature that has been desired by just about everyone since inception. It allows you to access files directly - much as you would on macOS - without the data being app specific and accessible only through an app.

This is the biggest and best feature of iOS 11 for anyone who is interested in using the device for more than media consumption. I was super happy to finally see it implemented and implemented well.

EdUniverse

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
implemented well.

It’s not much of a files app if hardly any of your files actually show up in the app tho. All I get is the music I imported to GarageBand. I can’t see Word Documents saved to my phone, Photos, Excel spreadsheets, anything. It’s kinda rubbish
[doublepost=1506352733][/doublepost]Oh, also it’s stupid that you have to actually have the one drive or drop box app downloaded for it to show in the Files app. It should just let you add the cloud location to the app

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The File app is the holy grail of the iOS dream-feature that has been desired by just about everyone since inception. It allows you to access files directly - much as you would on macOS - without the data being app specific and accessible only through an app.

This is the biggest and best feature of iOS 11 for anyone who is interested in using the device for more than media consumption. I was super happy to finally see it implemented and implemented well.

Glad someone else agrees with me....I have been baffled by all the negativity in this thread.

Reactions: lax28 and iMi

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017

True I agree that this is a step in the right direction. But it’s poorly implemented, Files app is really at Alpha stage in terms of functionallity. The only thing I can do is open files on different cloud services to view them. I cannot do anything else. I cannot edit them, rename them, rearrange them. It’s like turning on a computer but not having mouse or keyboard to work with so you just look and view at the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.