Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
True I agree that this is a step in the right direction. But it’s poorly implemented, Files app is really at Alpha stage in terms of functionallity. The only thing I can do is open files on different cloud services to view them. I cannot do anything else. I cannot edit them, rename them, rearrange them. It’s like turning on a computer but not having mouse or keyboard to work with so you just look and view at the screen.
You can do all of those things in the files app as soon as your cloud service is supported.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
True I agree that this is a step in the right direction. But it’s poorly implemented, Files app is really at Alpha stage in terms of functionallity. The only thing I can do is open files on different cloud services to view them. I cannot do anything else. I cannot edit them, rename them, rearrange them. It’s like turning on a computer but not having mouse or keyboard to work with so you just look and view at the screen.

Why can't you edit them? I can edit my Pages and Numbers files.
[doublepost=1506374837][/doublepost]
Why can't you edit them? I can edit my Pages and Numbers files.

Renaming works too.

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Nope. Not working. Files --> Dropbox --> XYZ.jpg. No option to rename, move or copy.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011

See my post #19.
[doublepost=1506395651][/doublepost]
Nope. Not working. Files --> Dropbox --> XYZ.jpg. No option to rename, move or copy.

If you have the lastest Dropbox update, then in Files, press and hold/release on an image to do all those option.

Reactions: redgreenski

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
See my post #19.

If you have the lastest Dropbox update, then in Files, press and hold/release on an image to do all those option.
However, trying to rename gives me a weird error and/or creates duplicated files that may or may not disappear after I force quit and restart Files app. Buggy as hell...

Attachments

• 71AEE5F0-23A1-4E62-BCDA-0C72D8217A16.jpeg
    71AEE5F0-23A1-4E62-BCDA-0C72D8217A16.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 141

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
However, trying to rename gives me a weird error and/or creates duplicated files that may or may not disappear after I force quit and restart Files app. Buggy as hell...

Yeah I'm getting a duplicate ghost file with .jpeg extension as well. If I go to another folder in Files (away from Dropbox,) then come back, it goes away. This doesn't happen with renaming files on iCloud Drive or files on my local third party app files. I'm guessing it's a Dropbox bug.. unless this is happening with another cloud drive.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Much of what is mentioned here as not being possible is actually posisble if file providers support it. And app developers who work with documents need to support it too.

In-place editing is supported, for example MindNode and Pixelmator documents can be opened and edited directly without creating file copies. For that to work, bot the file provider and the app developer need to support it.

MS Office doesn’t support it unfortunately. The functionality for in-place editing has been present already since the iCloud Drive app was released, but only few developers took it on to implement. I hope the Files app will pursuade them to change that.

The Share sheet will display Open in instead of Copy to if in-place editing is supported.

Reactions: Farsider

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
MS Office doesn’t support it unfortunately. The functionality for in-place editing has been present already since the iCloud Drive app was released, but only few developers took it on to implement. I hope the Files app will pursuade them to change that.

I can edit Word files in my Dropbox from Files app, but maybe this isn't what you meant. Obviously I have the Office 365 apps on my phone.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Upon launching the new “files” app I was struck, rather, by the absence of any files.

redgreenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
See my post #19.
Oh great!!!! Thank you. I did not know about that. Now I can see some benefit in the Files app. I do hope that apple will develop it more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.