Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was 55 when I first appeared on MacRumors In 2008.
I can remember looking in the mirror as a 16 year old (1969) shuddering at the idea of being 47 years old in 2000, god, being old, and wondering if I’d still have hair. I still have some, just not on top. ;) Now, it feels like that was another life, how things have changed so much, and so many moved onto the next phase whatever that is. No I’m not worried about the Grim Reaper, because I don’t think the journey will be over, just reflecting about this life, this taste of a reality.

When you are young, you think you have forever, but the reality is time accelerates and it flies by faster than you think it will. I could add, it’s just as well, as things for humanity seem to be going to hell. I’ve said it before, that this could be The Earth Simulator, one of thousands of experience offered as the next adventure you're sure you want to go on, have some excitement and adventure, only $10k credits. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't believe it either! We've both been around here awhile. Good to see you're still actively gaming at 70!
Thanks for not wishing me happy birthday! That was not the purpose of this post. :D

We represent the first generation that started life without a computer and were rewarded with them as a technological advancement. We are doing things now on our home computers, going places, and having adventures in locations that I can remember thinking would never happen in my lifetime. I remember being excited by Pong, and then OMG Space Invaders! :D

The next big thing that happened was Marathon, spaces you could run around in, then LAN parties... fun times. :D And then Michael Douglass was running around in a Virtual Reality space in a movie, and I thought naw, not going to see that at home.🤔

pong-arcade-game-atari.jpg

file-20180531-69508-1oenzpj.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't believe it either! We've both been around here awhile. Good to see you're still actively gaming at 70!

Was going to say the same thing. Much respect!
Thanks both of you. Some games I do well with, I love RPGs and action games, and others are a little too fast paced for me, although I've had no issue functioning in Cyberpunk2077 on hard difficulty, but this is against AI. Real people online, especially those who live on line in action PVP, are too fast for me, course I could say that when I was 40 too. ;) Last time I played Smite in the arena game, I could hold my own. World of Warships has a high strategy and awareness quotient, it does not require fast reflexes for the most part.

I've sworn off most horror games. The biggest thing about gaming, and Unreal Engine, of which I have been working with projects for the last 2 years is that it keeps the mind active. At first glance, Unreal Engine appears easy, but it's a more you know the more you realize you don't know and can a bear, I take copious notes, and I can tell my short term memory is not what is used to be. 🤔

Reactions: Queen6 and dmr727

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why did you sworn off most horror games ?
I don't enjoy many of them, especially the psychological horror games, but recently have been thinking getting the Aliens Fire Team game, which is horror scifi, but I've got a gun so I can handle it. I played Aliens vs Predator, Doom, others, and outright horror games, but have lost my taste for them. Regarding horror-scifi, you can ask @Queen6, I was a real wimp with Alien Isolation, I lasted about 30 minutes in that game and said "Nope" and closed it out. Part of the reason is that I end up dreaming about some of these games, and I don't want to dream about Aliens, lol. :D

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
If you could sum up your best advice for the young generation of tech folks in one sentence, what advice would you give?

Queen6

macrumors G4
At a young 60 and as you know I love horror games. Ride fast bikes, like faster women. When I meet my maker, may have some explaining to do, actually a good deal as was a mercenary for a good number of years...

Such is life and it runs all too fast. Would I do it again? Absolutely with and without the regrets. Been with the fair lady Treen for over two decades feels like minutes if not seconds....

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Regarding horror-scifi, you can ask @Queen6, I was a real wimp with Alien Isolation, I lasted about 30 minutes in that game and said "Nope" and closed it out. Part of the reason is that I end up dreaming about some of these games, and I don't want to dream about Aliens, lol. :D

I did a demo of VR Resident Evil 7 at a friend's house and "Noped" right out of there.

I play video games to relax, not get stressed out. 😂

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I did a demo of VR Resident Evil 7 at a friend's house and "Noped" right out of there.

I play video games to relax, not get stressed out. 😂

Yeah, completely in the same boat. And I enjoy horror films. But the latest games are just a little *too* good for my taste. And at 45, I feel like I'm getting to an age where I don't need any additional help to **** my pants! :p :p

nielshutch

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2021
No I’m not worried about the Grim Reaper
Just don't eat the salmon moose...

Your screenshot of "Pong" was very touching. (It reminds me of my days as Rod Laver.)
But "Space Invaders"? That one put me off games for good – everyone knows aliens are a green fog!

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you could sum up your best advice for the young generation of tech folks in one sentence, what advice would you give?
Unlike @Huntn, I'm not 70....

However, to take a stab at answering your question, (given that it is addressed to the "young generation of tech folks"), I would suggest something along the lines of: Remember that machines are not human, while people are. Therefore, do not forget your humanity while reaching for the stars.

Last edited:

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
What a miracle a World can be.

And don't bet on what shall be later, "House Always Wins" if you get that🙃))

Whenever I grasp something related to the World and Life, I realize that I understand even less than before. And what I do understand – I forget after some time. Especially when I try to pour up some thoughts. But the necessary things are always reachable)) I'm implying that the "next phase" is beyond our ability to comprehend for now so we shouldn't touch it; when it will be needed it will reach us eventually

Just keep the tail up)

Reactions: Huntn

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Congratulations on the milestones. Sounds like you still are living life to the full. I turned 50 this year and I think of the technology advancement during my lifetime. I can't imagine what it seems like to you now looking back. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with 1k of memory. Learnt to program on that thing!

I was 55 when I first appeared on MacRumors In 2008.
I can remember looking in the mirror as a 16 year old (1969) shuddering at the idea of being 47 years old in 2000, god, being old, and wondering if I’d still have hair. I still have some, just not on top. ;) Now, it feels like that was another life, how things have changed so much, and so many moved onto the next phase whatever that is. No I’m not worried about the Grim Reaper, because I don’t think the journey will be over, just reflecting about this life, this taste of a reality.

When you are young, you think you have forever, but the reality is time accelerates and it flies by faster than you think it will. I could add, it’s just as well, as things for humanity seem to be going to hell. I’ve said it before, that this could be The Earth Simulator, one of thousands of experience offered as the next adventure you're sure you want to go on, have some excitement and adventure, only $10k credits. :D
i'm now 74 - congrats young fella 😇

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.