Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
Here are my reasons...

1. We are barely breaking 3k a day..

2. The dates for overtaking the other Mac teams are getting farther away.

3. MacNN shows our power dropping (see below)

4. We are only adding a new member every few days at the best.

Did we max out our MR potential?

Attachments

• fold_3446_graph_ttmp5092268_pr.png
    fold_3446_graph_ttmp5092268_pr.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 421

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
But why would our power be dropping? Have people been turning it off and moving on to something else?

That's a bit weird and unfortunate. I'm still running at the same pace as before....:D

D

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I think everyone needs to continue to exploit every machine at their disposal. I figure most people get a shot high from steady progression through the folding ranks and then lose interest as they plateau. How about everyone do it for the good of the team, not for themselves?

Dan

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i used to have it going on 3 machines. it was eating up my battery life and making my powerbook hot so i stopped on that one. my pentium 4 was cranking them out left and right, but i have installed windows a couple of time since then and i am keeping my computer clean with only games. my powermac produces to much heat for my room so i stopped on that. it was fun though, i cranked out a lot of points before i stopped,i think there are still some machines at school lingering around i slipped folding on to, hehe.

iJon

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I wonder if things might slow down this summer if a bunch of people are using machines at their schools? That wouldn't be a good thing.....

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i think you would make a lot more points if they made it altivec awared because my 2ghz pentium 4 beat my dual 1.25 to the curb and back.

iJon

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by iJon
well i used to have it going on 3 machines. it was eating up my battery life and making my powerbook hot so i stopped on that one. my pentium 4 was cranking them out left and right, but i have installed windows a couple of time since then and i am keeping my computer clean with only games. my powermac produces to much heat for my room so i stopped on that. it was fun though, i cranked out a lot of points before i stopped,i think there are still some machines at school lingering around i slipped folding on to, hehe.

iJon

your P4 clean of only games? wtf, this is like 3 MB! Lets see no preformance loss because it uses idle computer time... why stop? I can see a reason for powerbook, a small reason for powermac and no/little reason for P4.

Sorry for picking on you specifically, but every bit counts, just because we got some new members doesn't mean we can all turn the helping of our team and of the project on hold.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Hey I am still trying to crank out dem WU's as fast as I can, I compleated 2 today :D and I have added another comp to my list so not everyone has given up the good fight.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
it could be the new giant proteins they have been handing out. if peple are working on these they will seem inactive for a few weeks. -just a guess.

possible, but then Every team would be affected, not only us...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
your P4 clean of only games? wtf, this is like 3 MB! Lets see no preformance loss because it uses idle computer time... why stop? I can see a reason for powerbook, a small reason for powermac and no/little reason for P4.

Sorry for picking on you specifically, but every bit counts, just because we got some new members doesn't mean we can all turn the helping of our team and of the project on hold.
my pc gets hot enough, running folding no stop bring its it up to about 140-150 degrees. sorry but ive stopped folding, i got tired of leaving my computers on all night and my room getting hot.

iJon

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
'Lemon's got a good point on the new proteins.

I think we should just wait and see. And duke, Summer = higher output at our lab. ;)

I hear ya, I thought I'd get some awesome results for my lab, but since it's an engineering lab and during the school year, people are in it 24/7 using every comp and running code like crazy, I'm surprized I'm getting anything out of it!

good news though, I got 20 new P4 2.4s coming in 2 weeks that will be added to the folding list, and these things will also be on 24/7 during the summer ;).

and, i got my boss interested in it, and we joked about using a prof's unused 42 node 2200+ linux server... but that ain't happening.

- bert

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by bertinman
I hear ya, I thought I'd get some awesome results for my lab, but since it's an engineering lab and during the school year, people are in it 24/7 using every comp and running code like crazy, I'm surprized I'm getting anything out of it!

good news though, I got 20 new P4 2.4s coming in 2 weeks that will be added to the folding list, and these things will also be on 24/7 during the summer ;).

and, i got my boss interested in it, and we joked about using a prof's unused 42 node 2200+ linux server... but that ain't happening.

- bert

wow, 20 new P4's, Suddenly things are looking up again, but not at the moment.. :(

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
well i have been folding for awhile but have cut back alot...though i don't make that much difference with only an ibook. but i had some battery problems and will only fold at night when its plugged in. i don't like how hot it gets and sometimes if i randomly unplug my computer while its folding the battery will die way to quick.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
'Lemon's got a good point on the new proteins.

I think we should just wait and see. And duke, Summer = higher output at our lab. ;)

I think it is more of a natural low as people are getting tired of putting forward an effort. However some of our existing members are giving up some promising information about adding power this summer. I personally think the loss of power is more than big proteins, but I don't think the drop will be permanent. If we keep looking for people and processors....

I created this thread so that we are all aware of the decrease. I noticed the team's drop when I dropped over 300 points today and yet our team output wasn't spectacular.. :(

I think there are alot of members who are losing interest because they are never going to make it even in the top 20. (However it is those members that were propelling us to the top mac team in June, (now July. :())

I just want to stir things up, and get everybody looking again. There is no reason why we cannot pass the two Mac teams ahead of us in June.

Keep folding!

Well, I could be held responsible for dropping output levels. The only problem is I really don't know why some of my machines couldn't connect to the assignment servers. I took them almost a week to connect.

When I came in at work they appeared to be folding again, so everything seems allright for now. Although this shouldn't happen anymore. It cost me a lot of points.

Anyway my P4 2,4 is crunching a 1250 unit protein! That should make up for something.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by MacFocus
Well, I could be held responsible for dropping output levels. The only problem is I really don't know why some of my machines couldn't connect to the assignment servers. I took them almost a week to connect.

When I came in at work they appeared to be folding again, so everything seems allright for now. Although this shouldn't happen anymore. It cost me a lot of points.

Anyway my P4 2,4 is crunching a 1250 unit protein! That should make up for something.

I think we went over this, it is a 1250 frame protien... and yes it is 70 points...

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Keep talking and hype it up. It went up a while back because it was all over the forums, now it is droping because all the talk is about the 970 and the music service, not folding. Dont blame me though I still fold 24/7 on my Mac at home.

P.S. I tryied it on the Mac's I have at work for a month, but my electricity bill went up by $125. Its not just folding's fault, we usualy shut off our Macs after hours. Sevral Macs running folding 24 hours a day will suck down some juce.:(

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Well, maybe I'll help reduce that trend.

Until a couple weeks ago, I wasn't running any machines. Then I added my work machine (1.4GHz P4). Then I added my desktop at home (400Mhz G4). Then I added another machine at work (2.4 GHz P4). Then I added my laptop at home (400MHz G4).

Hopefully, I can convince a few people from work to join team MacRumors and help.

I figure adding four machines to the mix has got to be of some help, right?

Taft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.