Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2002
We are actually chugging along real well right now.... Mabey I jumped the gun, but I would rather rally the troops early than fall behind!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, 150 or so points and we pass UofA! That's not a bad thing and we'll still have our sights set on the other mac teams, even if the dates have been fluctuating a bit.....

Rower - so what do guestimate that increased output of the lab to be this summer over the current numbers?

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Maybe around 5% each at most for mc68k (he's got the PC lab) and I (eMacs),

So maybe an extra 50-100 points per day, or so. It's not much, but it's definitely not less.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
the only thing that ppl do on there that actually taxes the CPU is mp3 decoding/playing. and thats not the whole lab and thats not for the whole day. so it's marginal and hard to quantify, but Rower's right that it's definitely something.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
my labs will show a big difference over the summer, probably a 40-50% increase considering that the times 8am to 11pm won't have 40 people doing work on 30 comps.

there are always lines to use the comps here so people can run their CFD stuff (slow as the computers are, they still try...)

- bert

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by dukestreet
well, 150 or so points and we pass UofA! That's not a bad thing and we'll still have our sights set on the other mac teams, even if the dates have been fluctuating a bit.....

D

see saw...
up and down and up and down... :(

Attachments

• see saw.jpg
    see saw.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 214

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
If you're running FAH on any PC using a P3, P4, or AthlonXP, you can actually get a 30% speed boost if you use the -advmethods tag to launch the CLI version of the FAH client. It forces the client to download the GROMACS proteins that are faster in processors that can use SIMD instructions.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by topicolo
If you're running FAH on any PC using a P3, P4, or AthlonXP, you can actually get a 30% speed boost if you use the -advmethods tag to launch the CLI version of the FAH client. It forces the client to download the GROMACS proteins that are faster in processors that can use SIMD instructions.

yes the gromac units are faster done, but you have a problem in your stament... none of the chips you mention have SIMD, only the G4 does, I would also suggest the new 3.25 folding you can too get Gromac units with the same
-advmethods
tag.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
We've now passed UofA! At least for now...

Attachments

• pica.jpg
    pica.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 213

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I think there is a black hole somewhere around us, because I've lost a significant amount of power, and I don't know where. I should be at a daily rate of about 150, and I'm around 110 right now. This sucks. :mad:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
OK, UofA is really getting on my nerves. They've almost doubled production in the last couple of days and have been holding steady with us since we first made contact.

Let's get that final push and put them behind us!

Attachments

• 10871_rate.gif
    10871_rate.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 228

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
my dual 800 is still going!

whooooooo

i am a real american.....

ha ha..yeah...the dual 1GHz here has been crunching away for days now...

it's been bumping me up in the ranks a lot...along with my 1GHz iMac at home... ;)

can I be American also?? :D

Bob Dobbs

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
California
i just joined a week or so ago

just joined - like 2 weeks ago,
got 4 wu done and 108 points...

boy sure goes slow compared to seti.

anyway, i'll be gone for a few weeks in may and my machine will be off, but i'll be back

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Stelliform
Do my eyes deceive me? We have dropped 5600 points so far today?!?!

it seems SOMEHOW, it is possible.

either: MAJOR glitch or some REALLY HAVE SOMETHING NEW, anyone install a lab and not tell us? :D
(statsman is gone?)

If there wasn't a serverside glitch, GOOD JOB!
Extreme overclockers shows 6,000 POINTS IN LAST 24 HOURS! MacNN says 5,000+!

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Losing steam, my eye!!!

Nice job, team. Keep it up! :D

It seems like that kick up the backside was the imputus needed for us to move up a gear! We now only have 1 team gaining on us, down from 3 just a couple of days ago. What happened? Maybe this fah 3.25 has helped up more that expected :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
IMPOSSIBLE !
MacNN shows that we had 13,000 Points -- 13,432.7 to be specific.

whie both statsman and overclockers show 5,000+ points in the last 24 hours...

oh well, where is reader when you need him? ;)

someone's gotta e-mail him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.