Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
I recently bought my very first iPhone, a space gray iPhone SE (128 GB).
I decided to buy now instead of wait in part because I do not expect an update of this now 1,5 years old device to occur.
There has been so many people on these forums talking about this supposedly likely update.
I do not think the iPhone SE will -ever- see an update, and the reason I came to think this is that Apple has decided to retain the iPhone 6S/6S+ for sale this year. I did not expect this. I do not see it as likely that Apple would drop the 6S/6S+ from the line-up before september 2018. And so I do not expect a specs update of the (internally similar) SE to happen in March of 2018. In fact, I do not even see a price cut happening.
(It's all to do with the relative position of the iPhone SE in the line-up: a specs update would put it between the 6S/6S+ and the 7/7+.
The SE will remain at the bottom position. Had the 6S/6S+ option been eliminated, the SE could've improved while still remaining at that bottom position.)

I think the 6S/6S+ will be dropped in september 2018, and the SE will... remain the same, but become a bit cheaper still.

additional thoughts:
-I'm wondering what great improvements could be added -with minimal effort on Apple's part- to the SE anyway. The A9 is more than capable; it has 2 GB of RAM; the camera is good. Hardware changes like 3D Touch and a better (or bigger) screen are unlikely. Maybe a better selfie camera?
-How long did the Thunderbolt screen go without an update? The Mac Pro? The iPad mini 4? The Mac Mini? It would not surprise me at all that the iPhone SE will never see an update before being discontinued. We're lucky enough to see the price drop a little, as it must, because of a yearly new iPhone.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
I do think we'll get an SE2. Hoping for a redesign as well though that's more hoping than anything else. I think this just because the retail price has been mysteriously dropping for a while now in non-Apple stores. I can pick one up in Europe for 330 euros (as opposed to Apple store price of 419 euros). That usually never happens with Apple products.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I not convinced that Apple will ever update the SE. Apple released the SE as a concession.

If they do release a SE2, then good. If they don't, then I was right all along.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
if they bring another one without 3d touch, i'll loose the little hope i have left, that they'll integrate this feature a bit more...

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
I do think we'll get an SE2. Hoping for a redesign as well.

Well, I'm guessing we'll be seeing a future iPhone with more or less the same dimensions as the current iPhone SE.
The iPhone 5/5S/SE had the same width as the 4/4S, but was taller. The height-width ratio is 2.11:1. Actually it's the tallest iPhone Apple ever did, proportionally. The 5/5S/SE body shouldn't have any problem with being fitted with a screen with the proportions of the iPhone X screen.
That "redesigned" SE will be so different from the current SE, that it will not count as a "redesign". It would rather be a smaller version of the iPhone X.
I'm thinking of three new iPhone options in the future: 60 mm, 70 mm, and 80 mm widths.
1) 60 mm is slightly wider than the 4(S)/5(S)/SE (58,6 mm), slightly less wide than the 1/3G/3GS (61 & 62,1 mm). (So pretty much the average width of the first 7 years of the iPhone.) (Actually, make the iphone 5/5S/SE slightly wider, as wide as the original iPhone (61 mm), and it will proportionally be the same as the iPhone X)
2) 70 mm is pretty much the current iPhone X (70,9 mm), which is close to the non-Plus 6(S)/7/8.
3) 80 mm is only slightly wider than the Plus iPhones (78 mm).

Big and Bigger, and Baby.

slogan: "Three (out) of a perfect pair!"

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I do think we'll get an SE2. Hoping for a redesign as well though that's more hoping than anything else. I think this just because the retail price has been mysteriously dropping for a while now in non-Apple stores. I can pick one up in Europe for 330 euros (as opposed to Apple store price of 419 euros). That usually never happens with Apple products.

SE 2 is highly likely. I think it will have newer form factor, upgraded display in a smaller foot print, upgraded iPhone 7 internals and Camera, upgraded Touch ID with the 3.5 Jack being deleted.

As for 3D Touch, I like this feature. But The whole purpose of the iPhone SE was to make it affordable as an entry-level iPhone. And the more features and or functionality is added to the SE, it also increases the price point. This iPhone was intended to remain for those who want to smaller form factor, but offer an affordable price. It was also intended for India's market as well.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I doubt they will add anything significant to the SE besides easily available parts from other phones in production already. Upgraded cameras, 2nd gen touch ID, new processor are no brainers... No way 3d touch or even a better screen and doubtfully a body change unless they repurpose the iPod touch... They most likely would lose a good portion of purchasers if Apple raised to price to cover major improvements..

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I think it'll happen when the all-screen design moves down the product line. I think that if they moved a lot of SE phones and the market is there, we could see a 4.7 SE-sized all-screen design, the 5.8 inch X design, and maybe a range-topping size akin to the Plus.

I really don't foresee them making massive-chinned phones much longer with the rest of the industry being bezel-free - maybe as early as next year's revisions could bring a new design up and down the line, with maybe one budget device remaining at the bottom of the scale with the classic chins. They've milked the 6/6Plus design for quite a long time now.

Last edited:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
The SE performs very well on iOS 11 (less screen means better UI performance and battery life than the 6S). I could see Apple keeping it as their low-end device into 2019 with another price cut in fall of 2018. I don't think they are sufficiently motivated to update it's hardware.

What I'd like to see a smaller version of the X. I'd want the dual rear cameras on a smaller device as well, but I suspect it wouldn't have that.

absynth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
I think the OP's logic is flawed. The SE is basically a 6s mini using the same gen processor. If next year they'd drop the price further the gap with the 7 would be too large.

It's far more likely for them to keep the pricing brackets the same they are now as the gap between entry and second cheapest has finally been closed. I give it a high chance they update the processor next year to the A10, and bump the RAM to 2GB, making it a 7 mini. This way they have a cheap entry phone yet the specs are only 2 generations behind.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE is intended for emerging markets (India especially) and cost is a big factor. I don't expect it to be updated any time soon.

If you are living a country with a modern economy, Apple wants you to buy the high margin iPhone 8 or X. Not the SE.

The SE continues to be positioned as a gateway device for those who have yet to buy their first smartphone. India is the largest remaining market where the majority of consumers continue to buy "dumb" phones. Cost remains a big issue and it's one of the reasons why Apple continues to sell new iPhone 5s and SE in that country for less than $300.

Apple worked with Wistron to build an assembly plant in Bengaluru just to serve the Indian market. Recent news suggested Apple wasn't able to achieve the cost savings it expected and demand for SE has been low. To reduce cost, I don't expect Apple to do something crazy like use a thin-bezel design or plop in an A10.

Small phones are like small tablets, they were popular 5 years ago. But consumer preferences have changed to larger displays.

Reactions: Ntombi and nilk

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I think the OP's logic is flawed. The SE is basically a 6s mini using the same gen processor. If next year they'd drop the price further the gap with the 7 would be too large.

It's far more likely for them to keep the pricing brackets the same they are now as the gap between entry and second cheapest has finally been closed. I give it a high chance they update the processor next year to the A10, and bump the RAM to 2GB, making it a 7 mini. This way they have a cheap entry phone yet the specs are only 2 generations behind.

I could see a number of different scenarios playing out, but in any case I can see your point about price not going any lower. If not a price drop, maybe the bottom model will get bumped to 64GB of storage. Or maybe do nothing and just keep selling SE's as they are. The SE is the Mac Mini of iPhones.

The last rumor was that we'd see a hardware update in early 2018. Production for the updated model was going to happen in Bangalore, India (they are making current SE's there). I was originally expecting this to happen, but after spending a week with the SE, I don't think Apple has as much incentive to update the hardware when it already performs quite well. Part of the rumor was that India would get the updated SE first, but I think more likely they will just be getting current SE's.

If they use the same hardware as the 7, are they also going to update the camera to the same as the 7? Note that the camera is larger than what is in the 6S/SE. I'm not sure what ramifications it would have for internal design (not sure if the module itself is bigger or not), but it would mean new cases for the new design to fit the new camera (that happened 6S -> 7). Maybe as we get closer to a hardware update, we'll see it verified through leaks of case designs.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I've had the SE for about a year. It's an amazing phone for me. iOS11 works great on it. I think I'm good for another year or two. Whether they upgrade or not, no one knows; but I do hope they continue to release something similar in a similar size.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
They might just keep the form factor the same and drop in a new chip every couple of years to keep it current (and possibly a new camera?) until it's no longer a serviceable design. doubt it will ever get 3d touch, wireless charging or other major new features...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
I give it a high chance they update the processor next year to the A10, and bump the RAM to 2GB.

It already has 2 GB of RAM.
The (March) 2017 iPad received the A9 processor. Apple seems to think that it'll be good for at least a couple more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.