Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
My cousin in India works in a large electronics factory. He says they are preparing to manufacture the SE 2. It’s basically to honour the “Made In India” deal Tim made to Modi. It’s just a SE with iPhone 7 specs.

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
My cousin in India works in a large electronics factory. He says they are preparing to manufacture the SE 2. It’s basically to honour the “Made In India” deal Tim made to Modi. It’s just a SE with iPhone 7 specs.

The iPhone SE is basically a 5S with some 6S specs.
I compared the 6S with the 7:
-The A10 instead of the A9; a better GPU (which will not matter much for the tiny SE screen, I'd think?)
-Better camera (and with optical image stabilization).
It's not nothing, but I wouldn't expect more than that.
And I wouldn't expect to see it appear before September 2018 (when the 6S(+) will be dropped from the line-up).

Reactions: James.K.Polk

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Seems unlikely as India doesn't have the capability to manufacture phone electronics or parts.

The Wistron plant in India is importing iPhone SE knock-down kits containing all necessary components for assembly only.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Not quite as important for the SE now that the 6s is still available. The big advantage of the SE was the better radio than the 6. Especially for T-Mobile.

wylhkg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
Fully support the size of iPhone SE, why I cannot include all features inside the size, except the useless 3D Touch.
Does apple research, the usefulness of 3D Touch? It can reduce the thickness of the phone! And reduce much size for other useful parts!

Wish SE II will release soon

Reactions: turbineseaplane

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Hope they keep it going. Small form, 18 month old tech, reachable to more people. Put it on a good 35/40 a month carrier live on an excellent device for half price.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
they should make SE II shorter, i don't understand why it has to be so long, its just inconvenient.
iPhone 4 is the perfect size for a phone period

Reactions: subjonas

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2017
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Seems unlikely as India doesn't have the capability to manufacture phone electronics or parts.

The Wistron plant in India is importing iPhone SE knock-down kits containing all necessary components for assembly only.

India does have the capacity to manufacture high-end electronics; however, manufacturers need to overcome the country's crippling import duties on components.

This is proving to be quite problematic given the protectionist leanings of India's federal and most state government.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hope they keep it going. Small form, 18 month old tech, reachable to more people. Put it on a good 35/40 a month carrier live on an excellent device for half price.
Or even 1/4th the price of the latest models in some cases. :p

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
There's a market for a smaller phone that easily fits into your pocket and can be (comfortably) used one-handed. It'd be a real shame for Apple to just make it a one-off and walk away.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There's a market for a smaller phone that easily fits into your pocket and can be (comfortably) used one-handed. It'd be a real shame for Apple to just make it a one-off and walk away.

I don't think Apple made the iPhone SE just for a one time iPhone. I do think they put some logic into it and realized it's intended for India's market and it's an entry-level price iPhone for those who wanted a smaller form factor, that does not incorporate all the latest technology. I think it will return with some physical changes and upgraded internals from the iPhone 7, but the main consideration is to retain the price point and form factor.

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
they should make SE II shorter, i don't understand why it has to be so long, its just inconvenient.
iPhone 4 is the perfect size for a phone period

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that the iPhone SE/5S is proportionally the tallest iPhone Apple ever did.
length-width = 2.11:1
4(S)/5(S)/SE are the least wide iPhones in absolute numbers: 58.6 mm.
The 4(S): 1.97:1
length-width ratios for the (other) iPhones:
1: 1.85
3G(S): 1.86
4(S): 1.97
5(S)/SE: 2.11
6(S)/7/8: 2.06
6(S)+/7+/8+: 2.03
X: 2.03

Last edited:

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I'm still hopeful about an "SE" redesign. Lots of folks like the size, and there is an opportunity to keep the physical size and get more screen area with a zero or small bezel design with OLED. OLED displays this size should be more reasonably priced in the next year or so. Anyhow, that is what I would like to see.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
According to the survey by RBC Capital Markets, only 3% of iPhone buyers today want an SE.

Just like the iPad mini, the 4" display is a outdated form factor. I would be surprised if Apple updated the SE.

Would a 4" smartphone benefit from an A10 or 3GB of RAM? Probably not. Similarly, a 4.7" SE device with an A10 could cannibalize iPhone 7 sales.

What's left? A 4.7" display with A9. With the iPhone 6s entering its third year of production, Apple is probably able to realize much of the cost savings by now. Next year, the 6s can occupy the $399 slot previously occupied by the SE.

Reactions: one more

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
You'll see an SE update after the factory in India has been open for almost a year.

bwApple! fwApple!

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Just like the iPad mini, the 4" display is a outdated form factor. I would be surprised if Apple updated the SE.

Would a 4" smartphone benefit from an A10 or 3GB of RAM? Probably not. Similarly, a 4.7" SE device with an A10 could cannibalize iPhone 7 sales.

What's left? A 4.7" display with A9. With the iPhone 6s entering its third year of production, Apple is probably able to realize much of the cost savings by now. Next year, the 6s can occupy the $399 slot previously occupied by the SE.

I too would be surprised if Apple updated the SE.
But that's different from Apple releasing an X-type iPhone with dimensions similar to the SE.
The iPhone X is 71 mm wide, another 4 mm wider than the non-Plus iPhones.
There will likely exist an iPhone X+ in the future. 80 mm wide? (The + iPhones are 78 mm now)

The SE form factor might be "outdated", but the iPhones Apple sells now are becoming quite "outsized".

Reactions: MartyvH

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
I not convinced that Apple will ever update the SE. Apple released the SE as a concession.

If they do release a SE2, then good. If they don't, then I was right all along.

I feel like they won’t, they have enough phones as is. Now adding a 4th while still selling the 7/7+

Idk

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I too would be surprised if Apple updated the SE.
But that's different from Apple releasing an X-type iPhone with dimensions similar to the SE.
The iPhone X is 71 mm wide, another 4 mm wider than the non-Plus iPhones.
There will likely exist an iPhone X+ in the future. 80 mm wide? (The + iPhones are 78 mm now)

The SE form factor might be "outdated", but the iPhones Apple sells now are becoming quite "outsized".

In order for Apple to produce a thin-bezel iPhone SE, it would be rather expensive.

A thin-bezel iPhone SE would have roughly the same display area as a 5" conventional 16:9 phone. This means much higher power demands. Apple would have to employ the same expensive tricks used in the X. This includes a stacked PCB and an L-shaped battery. Given the positioning of the SE as a value iPhone, I don't think Apple would do this.

Future iPhones are expected to have better cameras and AR on the back of the device. The iPhone SE form factor, in my opinion, doesn't allow for dual-cameras or a Taptic Engine. The current trend is towards larger displays. Even if Apple were able to squeeze a 5" display into the SE, maintain the battery life using expensive tricks, and pack in an OIS camera, I don't think the market is large enough for a small form factor expensive device.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
From Chupa Chupa's sig:

"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com

I considered my options and chose the only smaller phone of the 20 different models in the carrier shop, the SE.

The next-smallest is the iPhone 6/7/8, with which I would be unhappy. Yes, unhappy and I would just tolerate it. Every other model is the size and design of the iPhone X and Samsung GS7/8. I like Android, I bought a new Android tablet in April which I use daily, but the Sony Xperia Compact series of phones is flawed and has availability problems.

I cannot just dump it at any time and the large number of people who post comments online about how much they love the SE is telling.

With the smartphone market maturing (stagnating - new phones are almost the same), I think manufacturers will have an interest in differentiating in form factor to maintain sales, rather than have wall to wall, dozens of models with the same form factor which is the situation today.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2011
I am on the camp that says we won't see SE2, at least not in 2018.

If Apple updates SE, it will be fairly minor. It will be more like "Okay, you asked for an update, we give you an update. Now hand over that $400 in your bank account."

Reactions: MartyvH

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am on the camp that says we won't see SE2, at least not in 2018.

If Apple updates SE, it will be fairly minor. It will be more like "Okay, you asked for an update, we give you an update. Now hand over that $400 in your bank account."

Even if they do update the iPhone SE in 2018, the most it will receive internally would be from the iPhone 7 and nothing past that. Physical changes would likely be minor. But the whole point of the SE was the price point. So in order for Apple to retain their price point, it won't adopt the latest technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.