Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
You just know Apple TV is going to be a dull, corporate paint by numbers exercise. Designed not to push boundaries and controversy or do anything too risky.

Reactions: Glenny2lappies

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
As far as I can see AppleTV+ has *** SEVEN *** programmes.
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I'm watching For all Mankind and the Morning Show more than I'm watching the other services. On Netflix I watch the Crown (sadly no Clare Foy this season) and pay for the dearest level so not great value for me.
I expect many users have the free year as I have.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and I'm watching For all Mankind and the Morning Show more than I'm watching the other services. On Netflix I watch the Crown (sadly no Clare Foy this season) and pay for the dearest level so not great value for me.
I expect many users have the free year as I have.

Likewise. The time I watched Apple TV+ weekly is already more than I did on Netflix despite the quantity of contents, hence Netflix cancellation. Doesn't worth ~$15 a month a whole year for me.

Reactions: drsox

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Likewise. The time I watched Apple TV+ weekly is already more than I did on Netflix despite the quantity of contents, hence Netflix cancellation. Doesn't worth ~$15 a month a whole year for me.
Netflix's sea of contents can be a counter to finding good new shows. It doesn't help that Netflix costs a lot, especially if you are on pricey UHD tier.

Reactions: drsox and matrix07

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
These comparisons are getting pathetic tbf. Netflix is a completely different beast. ATV+ is a subscription add on channel at best. A selected handful of premium content to the Apple TV app. Netflix is the giant of a streamer that most households will default to when dipping in and out of streaming services due to the sheer volume of something for everyone content. People inherently go where the value for money is, the bang for buck. There’s no comparison & is silly to think their is. Netflix guarantees something to watch. Apple TV currently guarantees something to watch on a Friday

Reactions: cardfan

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
These comparisons are getting pathetic tbf. Netflix is a completely different beast. ATV+ is a subscription add on channel at best. A selected handful of premium content to the Apple TV app. Netflix is the giant of a streamer that most households will default to when dipping in and out of streaming services due to the sheer volume of something for everyone content. People inherently go where the value for money is, the bang for buck. There’s no comparison & is silly to think their is. Netflix guarantees something to watch. Apple TV currently guarantees something to watch on a Friday
Netflix guaranteeing something to watch is only partially true. If you like Netflix Originals, yes, you can be guaranteed that the contents you want to watch is always there.

While Netflix has hugely more original contents than Apple TV+, quantity doesn't necessarily translate to quality. I have to sort through lots of junk before I find few gems underneath. This is particularly true for family-friendly contents. Most of them are pile of trash. (To be fair, Apple TV+ is also poor at family-friendly contents -- Snoopy in Space not withstanding.)

For non-originals, there's no guarantee as to whether they will stick around. It's very frustrating to watch a series or a movie, only to see them removed before I get a chance to finish. It's gotten to a point where I only watch Netflix Originals.

So are Netflix Originals worth $15.99/month? If T-Mobile was't subsidizing my Netflix subscription (I pay $5/month out of pocket), I would've cancelled it long ago.

Likewise, Apple TV+ isn't currently worth $49.99/year or $4.99/month. I hope that by the time my free subscription is up for renewal, there will be enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: drsox

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I started watching See. I was up to episode 4 before I gave up. It's just not compelling.

For All Mankind seems interesting, but at the moment there is nothing that would get me to pay for this service.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Netflix guaranteeing something to watch is only partially true. If you like Netflix Originals, yes, you can be guaranteed that the contents you want to watch is always there.

While Netflix has hugely more original contents than Apple TV+, quantity doesn't necessarily translate to quality. I have to sort through lots of junk before I find few gems underneath. This is particularly true for family-friendly contents. Most of them are pile of trash. (To be fair, Apple TV+ is also poor at family-friendly contents -- Snoopy in Space not withstanding.)

For non-originals, there's no guarantee as to whether they will stick around. It's very frustrating to watch a series or a movie, only to see them removed before I get a chance to finish. It's gotten to a point where I only watch Netflix Originals.

So are Netflix Originals worth $15.99/month? If T-Mobile was't subsidizing my Netflix subscription (I pay $5/month out of pocket), I would've cancelled it long ago.

Likewise, Apple TV+ isn't currently worth $49.99/year or $4.99/month. I hope that by the time my free subscription is up for renewal, there will be enough.
Netflix is €9.99 here (4K + 4 devices same time streaming) the basic package is €5.99 which I get is basic streaming quality BUT I have found that it streams still on highest quality at most times (especially late night viewings) and only resorts to lower bit rates at peak times or when servers are congested etc. The basic 5.99 package is solid tbf.

I personally pay the 9.99 for the HDR/4K content (altered carbon, The Oa, Dark etc)
There is absolutely no way I could migrate to ATV+ long term. The good thing about being able to subscribe for one month is I’m guaranteed to catch ‘everything” currently on there in that month due to apple’s mantra of drip feeding content, features, specification etc. That works for those devoted but it’s kinda manipulative to me and leaves me cold.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
There is absolutely no way I could migrate to ATV+ long term.
I don't you are meant to choose just one, Netflix or Apple TV+. I personally subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix.

While it varies month to month, I estimate my household's viewing (family of 4) as:
  • Amazon Prime Video: 5%
  • Apple TV+: 15%
  • Disney+: 40%
  • Hulu: 30%
  • Netflix: 10%

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I don't you are meant to choose just one, Netflix or Apple TV+. I personally subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu, and Netflix.

While it varies month to month, I estimate my household's viewing (family of 4) as:
  • Amazon Prime Video: 5%
  • Apple TV+: 15%
  • Disney+: 40%
  • Hulu: 30%
  • Netflix: 10%
Yeah, I subscribe to Prime, Netflix ATV+ (trial) I was basically responding to the comparisons being made by those claiming that ATV could be a contender to Netflix. We have prime annually subscribed and while it gets some use the majority of viewing in our house is exclusively Netflix..Apple tv has a couple shows that peaked my interest but I have honestly gotten bored now. The whole waiting a week for a new episode is a drag. ‘Servant’ was interesting and I thought finally something to get my teeth into but eps 4 & 5 have lost me and was a struggle to stay awake (particularly ep 5 ?) I really feel this is a show to be binged as the slow pace makes it difficult to maintain initial interest.

I guess this is where Netflix is our go to streamer..content is just there and viewable at the family’s leisure. ATV will “get there” when it populated further. It is an option right now but it’s not a choice really

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah, I subscribe to Prime, Netflix ATV+ (trial) I was basically responding to the comparisons being made by those claiming that ATV could be a contender to Netflix. We have prime annually subscribed and while it gets some use the majority of viewing in our house is exclusively Netflix..Apple tv has a couple shows that peaked my interest but I have honestly gotten bored now. The whole waiting a week for a new episode is a drag. ‘Servant’ was interesting and I thought finally something to get my teeth into but eps 4 & 5 have lost me and was a struggle to stay awake (particularly ep 5 ?) I really feel this is a show to be binged as the slow pace makes it difficult to maintain initial interest.

I guess this is where Netflix is our go to streamer..content is just there and viewable at the family’s leisure. ATV will “get there” when it populated further. It is an option right now but it’s not a choice really
If I were to put a price tag to current Apple TV+ programming, I think $2.99/month would be fair. By the time it is up for paid renewal, there will be a lot more shows and I hope it can earn $49.99/year subscription. We will see.

Obviously, everyone has a different taste and I am not pompous enough to say I have a better taste than others. But with so many shows and movies available to watch, I prefer not to waste time watching something that does not appeal to me a great deal.

Netflix certainly has several originals that I find incredibly addictive. But to me, the ratio of gem-to-junk is very low. I open Netflix and I am increasingly having a hard time finding a new to watch. If I sample and I end up not liking it, I cannot hide it.

The bottom line. Yes, Netflix has many more times the originals than Apple TV+. But am I getting 3 times more enjoyment out of it ($15.99 vs. $4.99)? Not by a long shot.

Reactions: ipedro and Aydy

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Netflix is the giant of a streamer that most households will default to when dipping in and out of streaming services due to the sheer volume of something for everyone content.

Giant or not it’s rather useless if you’re not watching it.

I can only speak of my experience, which is I have cancelled the service, and what I posted has nothing to do with people at large.
[automerge]1576631530[/automerge]
Netflix's sea of contents can be a counter to finding good new shows. It doesn't help that Netflix costs a lot, especially if you are on pricey UHD tier.

Exactly. $15 a month for something you watch a couple of times a month or $5 a month for something you watched a few days a week for every week. No brainer. I’m laughing all the way to the bank.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Netflix has thousands of movies and TV shows. Amazon Prime has a huge amount of free content. Disney is coming on board with a huge back catalogue.

Am I missing something. Are we supposed to pay for *** SEVEN *** programmes (only three of which I want to watch) and a few more over time.

I'm searching throught the AppleTV+ app on my iMac and all I see are loads of expensive movies and shows to watch. Many that I can get for free on Netflix or Amaxon Prime.

I thought that Apple had spend trillions of dollars on programming. Is this really it?

AppleTV+ isn’t Netflix nor are they following that model. It’s more like HBO. AppleTV+ is a collection of Apple’s own curated shows, as if “Netflix Originals” were a self contained service without all the other third party shows Netflix licenses. AppleTV Channels is the equivalent of that where you can add libraries of back catalogues from third parties.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
If I were to put a price tag to current Apple TV+ programming, I think $2.99/month would be fair. By the time it is up for paid renewal, there will be a lot more shows and I hope it can earn $49.99/year subscription. We will see.

Obviously, everyone has a different taste and I am not pompous enough to say I have a better taste than others. But with so many shows and movies available to watch, I prefer not to waste time watching something that does not appeal to me a great deal.

Netflix certainly has several originals that I find incredibly addictive. But to me, the ratio of gem-to-junk is very low. I open Netflix and I am increasingly having a hard time finding a new to watch. If I sample and I end up not liking it, I cannot hide it.

The bottom line. Yes, Netflix has many more times the originals than Apple TV+. But am I getting 3 times more enjoyment out of it ($15.99 vs. $4.99)? Not by a long shot.
I find it fascinating (and I mean this honestly, not sarcastically) how people price things. $2.99 is not even a coffee at a Starbucks, yet that is supposedly sufficient for at a minimum, a few hours of TV per month.

Reactions: ipedro

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I find it fascinating (and I mean this honestly, not sarcastically) how people price things. $2.99 is not even a coffee at a Starbucks, yet that is supposedly sufficient for at a minimum, a few hours of TV per month.
My $2.99/month (or $29.99/year) is relative to $4.99/month (or $49.99/year) that 1-year promo Apple TV+ viewers will pay next year. Given the current selection of contents vs. what Apple TV+ will offer a year from now, $2.99/month seems more appropriate. And it will help justify the subscription for those unwilling to purchase new Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, iPod, or Mac to qualify for the promo.

Speaking for myself, if Apple didn't offer the promo, I would have no problem paying $49.99/year for Apple TV+. I watch far more Apple TV+ than Netflix (I pay $5/month thanks to T-Mobile's subsidy).

Reactions: matrix07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.