Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juankurring

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2022
London
I hate that nothing about android is magical revolutionary or even remarkable. Android is just so plain vanilla, bland and boring, but I do hope it changes.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Really?
I find Android to be the Windows of the mobile OS world: infinitely more flexible and customizable with a thousand and one different experiences of it depending on how each OEM chooses to implement it on their device. I also find, and for exactly those reasons, it's just as inefficient as Windows. It's the one thing Apple is right about: in terms of truly integrating the OS with the hardware, you can't beat a system where they're both made by the same manufacturer.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
You have to use what works best for you. That means it can either be Android or iOS. I prefer Android because there are things it does better or is missing in iOS. My favorite feature on a Pixel device is Google’s call screener. That alone is why I still haven’t bought an iPhone. It has singlehandedly reduced my Robo and Spam calls by 99%.

The other thing for me are the core apps. Apple ties its core app updates to OS updates whereas Google updates them via the Play Store. You have a longer supported device with Android. I also prefer Google Maps vs Apple Maps, Chrome vs Safari, Messages vs iMessages.

There are many things both Android and iOS does very well. It all boils done to an individuals preference. Neither choice is wrong.

Reactions: gusmula

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
If Apple would sell me a phone with a 6.5 inch plus screen with SD card support, multi camera and waterproofing for £400 then I'd be interested in having one.

They don't so I'm not interested in owning one. It's that simple. People buy phones to suit their needs.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Android's biggest disaster was not going all in on Hangouts. Then proceeds to go through about 6 other messaging apps and let's not forget Duo which is such a dumb name. Nothing about the name Duo says video calling, nothing. The group of people that came up with the name should all be fired.

I loved Android so much all the way back to the first Android on Sprint the EVO. Android had so much potential but managed to make a complete mess of it. The Android Tablet they totally made a mess of, yet I will give them credit for Chromebook after they implemented Android apps into it, but was too much, too late. Don't get me started with the Google watch, how could a company with more money than God not be able to make a functioning watch, OMG.

Then let companies like Samsung add apps to the Operating system that can't be deleted, like Facebook, I would never in a million years buy a phone with Facebook preinstalled and would need to root to remove it.

I'm so pissed at Google for letting its Android OS with such potential play second fiddle to Apple. I hate Apple but have an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook, Apple TV, and Airpods. Apple works 99% of the time, it's not perfect and there are many things that annoy me about Apple like their dumb cursor implementation or not allowing me to use Google Assistant instead of Siri, but in everyday use it's simplicity is mounds better than the cluster F@#$ of Android.

I digress.

Reactions: compwiz1202

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I hate that nothing about android is magical revolutionary or even remarkable. Android is just so plain vanilla, bland and boring, but I do hope it changes.
Not if you're into data infrastructure, systems-level access, programming, the phrase “open source”, “control”, and other techy/nerdy forms of entertainment 😂

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Android's biggest disaster was not going all in on Hangouts. Then proceeds to go through about 6 other messaging apps and let's not forget Duo which is such a dumb name. Nothing about the name Duo says video calling, nothing. The group of people that came up with the name should all be fired.

I loved Android so much all the way back to the first Android on Sprint the EVO. Android had so much potential but managed to make a complete mess of it. The Android Tablet they totally made a mess of, yet I will give them credit for Chromebook after they implemented Android apps into it, but was too much, too late. Don't get me started with the Google watch, how could a company with more money than God not be able to make a functioning watch, OMG.

Then let companies like Samsung add apps to the Operating system that can't be deleted, like Facebook, I would never in a million years buy a phone with Facebook preinstalled and would need to root to remove it.

I'm so pissed at Google for letting its Android OS with such potential play second fiddle to Apple. I hate Apple but have an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook, Apple TV, and Airpods. Apple works 99% of the time, it's not perfect and there are many things that annoy me about Apple like their dumb cursor implementation or not allowing me to use Google Assistant instead of Siri, but in everyday use it's simplicity is mounds better than the cluster F@#$ of Android.

I digress.
Hangouts was such a good messaging app. It really did everything including google voice which gave you your own phone number.

I really don't get why google keeps creating and then replacing their messaging approach. It's ridiculous.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If nothing from Android is revolutionary or remarkable (your words), why are features that were first on Android now on iOS? The one I saw most recently - car crash detection for automatic emergency services calling...

Reactions: gusmula and koigirl

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
If nothing from Android is revolutionary or remarkable (your words), why are features that were first on Android now on iOS? The one I saw most recently - car crash detection for automatic emergency services calling...
Live widgets was also done first on Android by Samsung with TouchWiz 3.1 and later copied by Microsoft on their mobile devices and Windows 8.

Reactions: gusmula and koigirl

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I actually view iOS as fairly "vanilla, bland, and boring".
But I use iOS and like this about it. I want my phone OS to be boring, stable, and secure.
Same. I want my phone to be pretty straightforward but that’s because I was working in “IT” for years fixing other people's technical issues.

Reactions: ackmondual

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Operating systems are supposed to be boring. They exist to allow access to apps and user data. It is that interaction with services and data that should be exciting. 😃

At one time, Apple provided software for their operating system that took a "think different" approach that allowed extremely well-designed apps that lacked a boatload of functions to do things that more mature and feature-rich apps couldn't do. The OS was the means to an end... apps.

They abandoned that approach and move the gee-whiz factor to the OS itself. Unfortunately, Microsoft and Google jumped on that bandwagon with their respective operating systems and are moving in that direction.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
They abandoned that approach and move the gee-whiz factor to the OS itself. Unfortunately, Microsoft and Google jumped on that bandwagon with their respective operating systems and are moving in that direction.
Gee-whiz factor? In reference to what exactly?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Samsung's do come with expanding batteries though, and have done for almost a decade at this point. (see MKHBD and friends recent YT videos)

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

I digress.
Duo changed to Meet now. It seems to work well for cross platform video chat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.