Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Shame Apple devices do not come supplied with a tutorial on how to file a Class Action as it seems its the only way millions get satisfaction with Apple LOL

You see the video from that British youtuber who was forced to hand his battery expanding phones over to Samsung, and months later they've not said a word to him or issued any replacements or fixed units? :p

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You see the video from that British youtuber who was forced to hand his battery expanding phones over to Samsung, and months later they've not said a word to him or issued any replacements or fixed units? :p
You mean the guy that is supposed to be knowledgeable and failed to observe guidelines and admitted to negligently storing his unused device

I do not think he was forced to, unless it was in any agreement he signed, but for sure he should get some feed back at least :)

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You mean the guy that is supposed to be knowledgeable and failed to observe guidelines and admitted to negligently storing his unused device

I do not think he was forced to, unless it was in any agreement he signed, but for sure he should get some feed back at least :)

LOL no he didn't. He stores all his phones all in the same place, same way, and only the Samsung ones are killing themselves with dangerous expanding batteries.

MKHBD appeared on his video and vouched for him. As did JerryRigAnything.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
LOL no he didn't. He stores all his phones all in the same place, same way, and only the Samsung ones are killing themselves with dangerous expanding batteries.

MKHBD appeared on his video and vouched for him. As did JerryRigAnything.
Yes he did, he noted temperature extremes and battery storage capacity were not as guidelines ie negligent

And probably MKHBD did the same if he has not maintained recommended charge levels

Sorry they damaged their own devices by improper storage

Reactions: jamezr

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
They let Zuck out do them with What's app, Hangouts would've never let What's app see the light of day.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. WhatsApp predates Hangouts (certainly standalone Hangouts and maybe also Google+ Hangouts). Standalone Hangouts then had several years to try to catch and surpass WhatsApp. It wasn’t able to.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I hate that nothing about android is magical revolutionary or even remarkable. Android is just so plain vanilla, bland and boring, but I do hope it changes.
Having moved to a Galaxy Fold 4 after years on iOS, I find that Android has grown a lot during that time and the same can be said for Samsung's stock software. Instead of looking for how to uninstall it, I'm actively using a good chunk of it.

Also if Android is too "plain and boring", then you as the end user can usually do something about it because it allows for extensive customization via 3rd party software. With iOS you have to deal with what Apple chose was "the right way" and if you don't like that, tough luck.

For customization people usually think of the user changing to some awful font and replacing the home screen icons with something garish and yeah, a lot of people do that. But for me it means configuring the small things to my liking all across the system. A toggle here, a toggle there. If that doesn't work, usually someone makes a 3rd party tool for more.

I was really impressed by the stock Samsung keyboard and how many thoughtful features and options it had to make it work best for my uses, to the point that I haven't bothered using Swiftkey on my new phone because the stock keyboard actually manages to handle both English and Finnish just fine. Apple's stock keyboard can't even do prediction in Finnish to this day and does a terrible job with auto-correct too.

I was pretty disappointed in iOS 16. It hasn't brought a single feature that would improve my daily usage and has some legit bad design like the lock screen editing UI.

Reactions: gusmula and psp123

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Not to mention - Zuckerberg simply BOUGHT Whatsapp, he wasn't responsible for the creation of it...
He bought it in 2014, did a wonderful job of promoting and improving it to where it is today. Where is Google today with messaging, how is that RCS coming along that Apple will never implement.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I hate that nothing about android is magical revolutionary or even remarkable. Android is just so plain vanilla, bland and boring, but I do hope it changes.
I have a iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone XR, iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro, Mac Book Air, iPod pro and an Apple Watch Ultra. I have had many flagship Android devices and know that from your comments that you haven't had any. If you had, you couldn't/wouldnt have typed what you did above.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I have a iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone XR, iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro, Mac Book Air, iPod pro and an Apple Watch Ultra. I have had many flagship Android devices and know that from your comments that you haven't had any. If you had, you couldn't/wouldnt have typed what you did above.
That's possible but it could also be that his mind was already made up that Android doesn't compare to iOS. We are now seeing some of the ideas that Android first introduced in 2011 to iOS. Live tiles and widgets is one of them. Samsung first introduced the idea with TouchWiz back in 2011.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
I don't think there's really any serious debate that iOS is very well polished and smooth. I take issue with all the deliberate limitations and all the restrictions Apple foists upon their users.

I've owned three Samsung phones: a Moment (which was absolute garbage), the Galaxy S20 Ultra (which I thought was fantastic) and now the S22 Ultra, which is every bit as good as the S20 Ultra. I wish Sammy hadn't eliminated microSD card slots, but with 256GB on-board data storage, it's good enough.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
LOL - my brother (who is all-in on iOS) was telling us this weekend about the car crash detection that Apple is rolling out. My response - my Pixel has been able to do that for 2 years. His response "are they advertising it?"

WTF does it matter? The feature has been there, even if it's not been advertised!

Reactions: gusmula and jamezr

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
LOL - my brother (who is all-in on iOS) was telling us this weekend about the car crash detection that Apple is rolling out. My response - my Pixel has been able to do that for 2 years. His response "are they advertising it?"

WTF does it matter? The feature has been there, even if it's not been advertised!
Just curious if it's been documented to actually work? Other than one article I've seen.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Just curious if it's been documented to actually work? Other than one article I've seen.
IDK, and I'm not about to test it. For the next 18 months at least it doesn't matter to me anyway - my car will call emergency services if the airbags go off. I may extend that service when the time comes as it also includes remote start using an app on my phone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I haven't had a chance to test this either thank goodness.
But Apples implementation has been going off on thrill rides and calling emergency services. It can't tell the difference

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
IDK, and I'm not about to test it. For the next 18 months at least it doesn't matter to me anyway - my car will call emergency services if the airbags go off. I may extend that service when the time comes as it also includes remote start using an app on my phone.
Sounds like my Toyota. It's a bit pricey as they charge $80 a year per option and there are like 4 options. I did the remote start from the app but not the crash part. Not yet at least.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
I haven't had a chance to test this either thank goodness.
But Apples implementation has been going off on thrill rides and calling emergency services. It can't tell the difference

Yeah, I saw that and listened to the video. Was actually pretty funny. I'm sure they will fix it or tell people to turn on a switch before taking rides.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, I saw that and listened to the video. Was actually pretty funny. I'm sure they will fix it or tell people to turn on a switch before taking rides.
I think it would be pretty funny as well :) I am sure Apple will fix it...they are pretty good at respond to something like this.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Sounds like my Toyota. It's a bit pricey as they charge $80 a year per option and there are like 4 options. I did the remote start from the app but not the crash part. Not yet at least.
It's part of their Starlink Safety & Security packages. 3 years of the base package was included with the car, my dealer tossed in the $75 upgrade to make those 3 years the upgraded package with the remote start and lock/unlock from the mobile device.

After 3 years it's $15/month for the full deal, except the Concierge service. There may also be a "bulk" discount if I re-sign for 3 more years.

Reactions: Berries-A-Million

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Considering that the "new" features each year in the new iPhone tends to be old Android features, I'd love to hear what you think is "magical" and "revolutionary" in the iPhone.

Reactions: gusmula and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.