Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
am confused; the order of tabs in the tool bar doesn't change (fyi. i've also set up simple key commands: option-left arrow to switch to the left tab, option-right arrow for the right; makes it easy to switch between open tabs).

but why not just line things up in the favorites bar? those icons won't move, and easy to switch between them.

If you leave it in the favorites bar, each time I click on it, the page reloads.

If your leave it as the new tab style, it will turn the tab button into a URL box, and move the other tabs left or right, then other unpinned tabs get mixed in as they please.

if I pin the tabs, as in the screenshot, I can can toggle back and forth between the two to copy/paste, etc as needed without losing what is on that paticular tab. I obviously don't want to have to redo everything by reloading favorites each time. I probably check each one of those a dozen or two times per day. The OWA is not very intuitive and being a Microsoft product, is well, bad. The other is a Polonius server, which is equally bad and gets confused if you have more than one tab open with it...Both also seem to give trouble when using VPN and Private Relay on SOME wifi connections.

If I leave my pinned tabs in the same pinned location, they don't jump around with the url bar between them. Those two are always there where I expect them, and dont have to look around for them.

If they put the tabs in a fixed location, and didn’t trry to combine the URL into each tab, it would be OK. I would love if the pinned tabs were ON the favorites bar.

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
Agree with you. I really dislike these things:

- its very difficult to tell which tab is active
- the moving url/search field is distracting and messes with spatial orientation
- the (...) button to access reload, etc -- an extra click to access some very commonly used options
- the extra delay required to reorder tabs is infuriating
- closing tabs is fairly annoying, especially a new tab, the close button isn't clickable
- the cramped toolbar - its not helping us manage tabs effectively, quite the opposite
- the missing title for the selected tab makes finding the tab you were at previously more difficult
- the colored toolbar, its gimmicky, but at least it can be turned off

Do like the tab groups.

Not specific to Monterey: Always hated the combo URL/search field - it often misinterprets things and is also unclear for copying text from (do you want the URL or the search text, for example?). Some really bad UI design there. There should be at least an advanced option/developer option to split it up.

I've always used Safari since version 1, but maybe its time to start looking for an alternative as the UX is really falling apart for me.

Last edited:

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
sure, but at some point you'll either: update to monterey, and adapt to the new safari; update to monterey, and, with every new beta or final release, re-do whatever trick currently gives you the earlier safari; or... just stay on big sur.. just for safari.

personally, the more i live with it, the less it bothers me (i admit to being not thrilled with the search window moving around). but, 2 weeks from now, or a month, or.... whatever, i know it won't matter, because i'll be more focused on work, and life. :cool:
2 more options:
- send feedback via feedback assistant
- use other browsers ;)

Reactions: fisherking

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
I see a lot of people disliking Safari 15, but I think it's great.
To be fair, I like it better than I expected after seeing wwdc and blog posts.
There are definite UI annoyances and usability regressions which are frustrating and hoping apple will reverse those. Hence I left feedback directly with Apple.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
To be fair, I like it better than I expected after seeing wwdc and blog posts.
There are definite UI annoyances and usability regressions which are frustrating and hoping apple will reverse those. Hence I left feedback directly with Apple.
Based on my personal experiences, I don't think they take feedbacks that seriously.
You'll get used to the UI.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Based on my personal experiences, I don't think they take feedbacks that seriously.
& that's the problem, 'based on your personal experiences'. let's say apple gets 100,000 different opinions about a feature in the new safari; why would any one person expect to see their opinion change something? it's just not realistic...

Reactions: mikecwest

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
They've gone and fixed things I sent feedback about, in the past. Whether it was directly as a result of my feedback, or whether my feedback was one among many requesting/reporting the same, or perhaps they were already fixing it, who knows...

Unlike open-source projects, it's not very transparent, but I figure sending feedback is a good addition to discussing it on forums (or should be done whether or not one ends up going to forums).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
As usual, the people who have a problem with it are louder, which is normal. There are lots of people like me who silently love the new Safari both on macOS and iOS.
i have to admit, i am getting used to it. and there's logic in the address window hovering in the space where it's tab sits.

i have to change the way i do a few things, but i don't mind that usually... just need patience. patience is harder sometimes than change itself.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Drop down menu for page refresh - sure, I bet 90% of people don't regularly use this, but it's annoying. It'll leave a lot of people looking around and being confused.
Refresh button is back in the URL search bar in beta 2

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
I’m one of those who can’t get on with the new version. The tab implementation is a deal breaker for me.

However, it‘s not really a problem as there are plenty of alternative browsers - Chrome, Safari, Brave, Firefox.

I just never thought before of abandoning Safari, but times change.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
When you mouse over the address bar the reload page icon appears. You can also customise your toolbar to add any other stuff in you want.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I have been using the safari technology preview on big sur and I've noticed in the latest build, they removed the feature where the safari top bar takes on the background colour of the rest of the page I'm in. It is now always grey no matter the website. I hope this is temporary. I liked that feature a lot and I don't like this latest change. The top bar blending in w/ the rest of the website looked a lot smoother and I prefer that to this.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I have been using the safari technology preview on big sur and I've noticed in the latest build, they removed the feature where the safari top bar takes on the background colour of the rest of the page I'm in. It is now always grey no matter the website. I hope this is temporary. I liked that feature a lot and I don't like this latest change. The top bar blending in w/ the rest of the website looked a lot smoother and I prefer that to this.
check safari preferences>advanced and make sure "show color in tab bar" is checked. it still works in safari on the monterey beta...

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
So far the only issue, other then, for me, controls in unfamiliar positions. But, I'm sure I'll get used to them.

My issue concerns dark vs light pulldowns in Safari. I am not a fan of the Dark Desktop. But, the pull downs in Safari for wenb site selection, change from light to dark depending on the color of the website's header. it will change from light too dark and back to light again? I don't like it?

Lou

Roadcrew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2019
I'm seriously hating the combined title bar for a couple of reasons:
  • The variable-length effect of the active tab makes all the tabs slide around as you select things, making it impossible to reliably know the on-screen location of a single long-lasting tab.
  • The tabs are all small enough to have cropped titles, and so if you have more than one tab on the same site and they share the same title prefix, it's now impossible to know which is which without hovering over them.
  • And to go with that, the active tab doesn't have anything to actually show its title at all, which makes it even harder to tell state again at a glance if you come back to your computer after being off doing other things.
  • It's difficult to reliably reorder tabs without either editing the URL or moving the window around. There's some kind of delay going on here that makes the computer slower at this than I am and it's mucking the whole thing up.
  • With the other usability issues, it's now much more difficult to use, say, even just 10 tabs, especially since pinned tab functionality for persistently-used sites is now also completely missing.

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
You can add the reload button to the toolbar (it also shows up when you hover over the text area - I do believe this is bugged, though. Sometimes it shows reader view, sometimes it doesn't). There are still a lot of bugs with the new menu bar, so I cannot form a final opinion, yet. What I can say is that I like it when enough tabs are open so only the favicon shows. Tab preview also makes a lot of sense now and hovering over the favicons works great for me. With less tabs open I think tabs looks odd with a title as there's only room for roughly 5 letters. I'd prefer if we could just get rid of titles completely. What really triggers me is no rounded corners in tab overview. Hard edges, seriously?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 15.29.51.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 15.29.51.png
    21 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Text and icons in address bar shifting between sharp and blurry when resizing window is still not fixed.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
yes, and as i mentioned above: not experiencing that here.probably a graphics issue with your mac.

really, tho, that's possibly the most insignificant issue i've ever seen; why stress it? (i don't mean to be rude, just seems a non-issue).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.