Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The way Windows runs the hardware specifically for laptops is what I don't like about it. Not the hardware itself. When you are unplugged away from ACs, the laptop's hardware throttles to save energy. And I've found throughout my computer history that Windows, much quicker than MacOS, loses battery life with the more applications you install. The same is true for Mac, but in my experience, to a lesser degree. You may say the opposite is true for you, but these are just from my experiences.

Another thing I don't like about it is that you can have an insanely attractive, beautiful, small little laptop that has a good graphics card, processor, screen, etc. But there isn't a single PC Manufacturer that has an attractive, sleek, portable AC Adapter for anything outside of a couple ultrabooks so you have to package those generic, gigantic black bricks. This ruins the point of a portable computer for me.

Not only that, I just find that when I do configure and find laptops that I am interested in (Razer Book 14, Dell XPS 17, etc.) they tend to be extremely expensive, moreso than Mac hardware nowadays and lacking in the details I just mentioned. We'll see if the same is true when the newest MacBook Pros get released and what those are priced at.

I love Windows on my XPS 15 when plugged in. It does everything I want when I'm in desktop mode. In fact, if I had a choice between a Windows desktop and a Mac desktop, I'd go PC everytime. But for laptops... I'm done with PCs.
I don't think you have bought a modern Windows laptop in a while. Intel has addressed the throttling on battery since the 11th gen and maybe even earlier. Most 12th gen and up Intel laptops will not throttle BUT Windows will automatically run in a lower power state if you don't change the settings to balanced or performance mode. The new Intel Big/Little architecture is much better than previous generations on battery because it can use the efficiency cores and has a bunch of them so performance is still good.

I have a Windows laptop 14" thin and light with all aluminum build, 120hz pantone certified 2.5k OLED screen with gorilla glass touch enabled, with a 13700h processor and 16gb ddr5 ram and pci 4 512gb ssd. It is a great looking laptop. On balanced I barely hear the fans run unless I am doing something heavy. It will go 10 hours or more on battery doing medium to light tasks. If I had a Windows laptop with a u series chip it would certainly go longer if it was evo certified. I like performance so the h series and more than 8 hours on battery is good enough for me. Oh and the price was a couple hundred under $1k. It has an all aluminum build mil spec certified.

Intel still has some catching up to do with Apple's M series chips in terms of efficiency and process node. BUT the performance is really close and considering the 13th gen chips are still on 10nm think of the gains when Intel moves to something like 4nm and below in the years ahead.

I love my M2 MBA and I will always enjoy using a Mac BUT Windows laptops when you find them on sale and do some research before buying can offer a huge price advantage, deliver very high quality and offer features not available on Macs like OLED screens, touch, etc.

I think Dell XPS line is a decent choice but they are way overpriced. Asus ZenBook series has really improved over the years. I like HP but they can be hit or miss on quality but they do offer great value in the Envy series and good customer service. Razer is vastly overpriced and generally focuses more on look and style over function. Thermal issues tend to be a problem with Razer, long term quality can be an issue, and the cost is insane. I will say though Razer designs are very nice. If I could afford them and bought an extended warranty I might get one but I tend to like other brands.

My point is tech is always changing and what you experienced at one point may no longer be true. M series chips still offer the best performance to efficiency ratio and better battery life overall but you can often times find some gems in the windows world that save you a ton of money and offer things not available on a Mac. They might not last as long on battery and may not offer exactly the same performance. But things are getting better and each year Windows laptops offer more. Right now with sales down on PC laptops a lot of manufacturers are offering big discounts or retailers like Best Buy offer good sales often. Intel is getting better but in a couple years I think efficiency will improve significantly.

You just have to try a few different laptops, research the specs, wait for sales and then try and if you don't like it return and try another. If you time things right you can buy low and sell close to what you paid so you can upgrade often. That way as the tech improves you will be able to benefit with just a little money out of pocket each year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.