Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Its not just about me, working in IT I deal with dozens of Windows issues daily and macOS only has on average 2 or 3 issues a week (same install base). Same can be said about ANYONE on this topic and ANY topic in general. So we should just shut down these forums then huh? It can't just be about you that wants to force Apple to allow side-loading. It can't just be about you that you find the Macbook Pro "not pro". So lets just stop any and all discussions then.

And you do realize, businesses around the world are dealing with MASSIVE issues lately - printing causing blue screens, unwanted features shoved down people's throat (which is PROVEN in the release notes of the update so its NOT just me) and such causing Microsoft to release statements on these items. If it was "just me" I would not get the attention from Microsoft.

So please, stop with the "its just you" comments. On the flipside, it can't be just about you that uses Windows perfectly fine.
For all the issues these businesses are having around the world, I find it odd that they are not wholesale dropping Windows and going with another OS.

• Haha
Reactions: Mendota

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
For all the issues these businesses are having around the world, I find it odd that they are not wholesale dropping Windows and going with another OS.
Well, maybe the vendor lock-in is a pretty strong force. Plus some software just isn‘t available for Linux. What is not the OS‘s fault, its how it is

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Nope it’s a simple test for 5 minutes of programming. If the UI thread is busy loading stuff, it shows Not Responding. I see this all the time too.

Don't recall seeing this in the last several years even with machine at 100% load. Sounds like specific to your device or maybe an Intel thing. I flip flop between Intel and AMD and it seems AMD is a better and more reliable experience overall.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Don't recall seeing this in the last several years even with machine at 100% load. Sounds like specific to your device or maybe an Intel thing. I flip flop between Intel and AMD and it seems AMD is a better and more reliable experience overall.

All it takes is a 5 minute development work to show the issue. Granted this is more of a programming issue than Windows, but I’m sure Windows could have done things better to not lock up the user interface thread.

I get this quite often with Outlook on 5 systems.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
All it takes is a 5 minute development work to show the issue. Granted this is more of a programming issue than Windows, but I’m sure Windows could have done things better to not lock up the user interface thread.

How to replicate although it sounds like Intel iGPU driver issue which I've had my share of reporting? That's why I'm willing to pay for a GT1030 just to avoid Intel iGPU drivers.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
How to replicate although it sounds like Intel iGPU driver issue which I've had my share of reporting? That's why I'm willing to pay for a GT1030 just to avoid Intel iGPU drivers.

No it has nothing to do with the GPU. It’s all CPU related. The UI be default runs on the same thread as your code Logic. So if your pulling a lot of data from a database for example and do this on the UI thread, it will lock up the application.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Its not just about me, working in IT I deal with dozens of Windows issues daily and macOS only has on average 2 or 3 issues a week (same install base). Same can be said about ANYONE on this topic and ANY topic in general. So we should just shut down these forums then huh? It can't just be about you that wants to force Apple to allow side-loading. It can't just be about you that you find the Macbook Pro "not pro". So lets just stop any and all discussions then.

And you do realize, businesses around the world are dealing with MASSIVE issues lately - printing causing blue screens, unwanted features shoved down people's throat (which is PROVEN in the release notes of the update so its NOT just me) and such causing Microsoft to release statements on these items. If it was "just me" I would not get the attention from Microsoft.

So please, stop with the "its just you" comments. On the flipside, it can't be just about you that uses Windows perfectly fine.
Yes there are some problems some possible security issues with printing. There is always going to be a need to deal with security. And yes that is the issue of the moment that you have choose to jump on. It has only been a couple weeks while Microsoft works to get a handle on it.

But let's not bring up Apple and the keyboard issue that they deliberately ignored for over three years, gaslighting their users, and charging them for expensive repairs. It took public censure and three class action lawsuits to get them to do the right thing. And what about the stage light issue? Another faulty design that Apple refused to acknowledge, and of course the so-called liquid sensors that they purposely place in a location where simple humidity will trip them falsely, so that they can use that as an excuse to deny repair of their faulty hardware. It took another class action lawsuit to stop them doing that on the iPhone, where they would deny repair and cancel the uses Apple care (without refund). That class action lawsuit actually paid out in excess of $300 to the customers. I could go on and on. And you want to dog on Microsoft?
On the whole Windows 10 has been exceptionally reliable. There are always going to be things to deal with in IT because users themselves cause issues. Why work in IT if it is so unpleasant? I work in IT because I love computers, all of them to include Macs and Linux. And I like helping people to solve issues with them. Last weekend an SOS call came in from a hotel chain. "Please help us, we did something... Money is no object!" It was great to go out and fix the issue for them and take in their gratitude.

And most people are using Windows fine, so perhaps the problem is with you. Having a negative attitude will always make any situation worse. I will agree that sometimes the drivers coming from the vendors have issues...NVidia has caused me a few moments. I set Windows to not update the drivers... problem solved. Could be a simple fix for you on your gaming machine.... Good Luck.

Reactions: LeeW

RedRage

Suspended
Jan 18, 2021

It's just you.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yes there are some problems some possible security issues with printing. There is always going to be a need to deal with security. And yes that is the issue of the moment that you have choose to jump on. It has only been a couple weeks while Microsoft works to get a handle on it.

But let's not bring up Apple and the keyboard issue that they deliberately ignored for over three years, gaslighting their users, and charging them for expensive repairs. It took public censure and three class action lawsuits to get them to do the right thing. And what about the stage light issue? Another faulty design that Apple refused to acknowledge, and of course the so-called liquid sensors that they purposely place in a location where simple humidity will trip them falsely, so that they can use that as an excuse to deny repair of their faulty hardware. It took another class action lawsuit to stop them doing that on the iPhone, where they would deny repair and cancel the uses Apple care (without refund). That class action lawsuit actually paid out in excess of $300 to the customers. I could go on and on. And you want to dog on Microsoft?
On the whole Windows 10 has been exceptionally reliable. There are always going to be things to deal with in IT because users themselves cause issues. Why work in IT if it is so unpleasant? I work in IT because I love computers, all of them to include Macs and Linux. And I like helping people to solve issues with them. Last weekend an SOS call came in from a hotel chain. "Please help us, we did something... Money is no object!" It was great to go out and fix the issue for them and take in their gratitude.

And most people are using Windows fine, so perhaps the problem is with you. Having a negative attitude will always make any situation worse. I will agree that sometimes the drivers coming from the vendors have issues...NVidia has caused me a few moments. I set Windows to not update the drivers... problem solved. Could be a simple fix for you on your gaming machine.... Good Luck.

I never gave Apple a pass on those things. Where did I say so?

Trash can Mac Pro
Keyboards on MacbookPro
IPadOS is seriously lacking.

I have plenty of complaints with Apple too.

But this thread is about macOS and not the hardware.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

you want to give us the millions it's going to cost to re-design everything from the ground up? or the millions to reprogram the legacy 20+ year old 32bit windows Back end infrastructure that runs my banking application?

Trust me. I want to. but the time/money/involvement in such a major project is outside of the scope of possibility for a lot of organizations. I'm just a small 15 branch bank. Imagine th mega corps and megabanks?

Just think about how hard it is for even basic consumers sometimes to switch between OS platforms. most p[eople on these forums would throw a kinipshin if you told them to migrate from iOS to Android (or vice versa).

I can tell you, that myself, and many many others WOULD leave WIndows, if it were financially viable at this time. Instead, we just waste our time trying to manage whats left in that realm.

I've made it very clear though, that I will not install any new windows servers. All new software tools and functionality must be linux based. I have told vendors now trying to sell me server software that if it's not LInux compatible, then no sale.

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

As a system administrator and Manager of Information Technology department for a bank, who deals heavily with windows.

Its not just you.

in the last 5 years in particular, especially after Satya Nadella took over, Windows 10, especially in the enterprise has been an absolutely nightmare to manage.

it's the "Agile" method they've predominently switched to. Product managers making decisions on deployment / features. Rushing it out and deploying it without proper QA, or input from the rest of the development / engineering teams (I have actually confirmed with multiple ranking microsoft employees this is absolutely the case now, and even they are being told by product teams to **** off when they make recommendations)

I am regularly fighting with engineers/developers now at MIcrosoft who REFUSE to accept that a product change they are forcing on us cannot be accepted because it violated our regulatory security requirements. Those same engineers tell us "tough, we're not changing our minds"... ONLY for a completely seperate development team to create an override to that first product team so that we can have an "undo" for the first product teams decisions.

This has become worse and worse. And it's not just Windows that they're pulling this sort of horrendous development with. Office365 / Azure has dramatically become worse. Go into your azure portal and 1/2 the links don't take you to the service yo want. But to a splash page telling you that the service is renamed and a new link is elsewhere.

Then there's "hidden" features being put into non-feature updates. Like the "news and weather" widget that was automatically deployed to all users in security update. Weeks before the ADMX / GPO filterse were created to block it. my network load went up 15% the day this feature went live. Requiring a forced Registry change to be deployed to every workstation to block it outright.

Windows 10 when it launched was super fast and responsive and super Lean. A fresh install would take about 10-15gb, and only use 1.5gb of RAM before application install. Right now, a brand new fresh install takes 40GB of space and 3.5gb of RAM before I forcably remove Windows bloat.

Now, if my users were just using windows like they did at home. Without restrictions and no real regulatory controls, I'm sure the experience would be fine. But we have massive amount of restrictions, controls and regulatory requirements for security and auditing. Getting any of this working with windows 10 has been a massive royal pain in the ass as Microsofts "Security" is more aimed at preventing System Administrators from doing anything and doesn't even fully protect our users.

Nevermind getting windows to behave now in VDI VMWare Horizons instant Clones. Windows has a bunch of stupid logic built into the back end which over-writes configuration on instantclones and outright even ignores GPO. Constantly resetting user defaults despite GPO/VMWare DEM. Because "windows" thinks it's smarter than us.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Wait, are you guys not on the LTSC branch? Of course they call it something different now but that is what it used to be called.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Wait, are you guys not on the LTSC branch? Of course they call it something different now but that is what it used to be called.

There's a problem there, as regulatory can't let us fall behind more than about 6 months on patching.

it's really a ****** place. I can get away with LTSC branch on things like my thin terminals themselves. But I can't on the direct images that users work in. I get my hands wrapped by government auditors when we're not keeping up to date on security deployments.

I'm literally caught between a rock and a hard place. Don't update and avoid Microsoft breaking things constantly and run afoul of my auditors. Or update, and spend 2 out of every 5 days of the week troubleshooting things that just don't work

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There's a problem there, as regulatory can't let us fall behind more than about 6 months on patching.

it's really a ****** place. I can get away with LTSC branch on things like my thin terminals themselves. But I can't on the direct images that users work in. I get my hands wrapped by government auditors when we're not keeping up to date on security deployments.

I'm literally caught between a rock and a hard place. Don't update and avoid Microsoft breaking things constantly and run afoul of my auditors. Or update, and spend 2 out of every 5 days of the week troubleshooting things that just don't work
Interesting. DoD isn’t that strict IIRC they are still on 1909 and Server 2016/2019. Not sure when they will tell us to upgrade to 20H2.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
As a system administrator and Manager of Information Technology department for a bank, who deals heavily with windows.

Its not just you.

in the last 5 years in particular, especially after Satya Nadella took over, Windows 10, especially in the enterprise has been an absolutely nightmare to manage.

it's the "Agile" method they've predominently switched to. Product managers making decisions on deployment / features. Rushing it out and deploying it without proper QA, or input from the rest of the development / engineering teams (I have actually confirmed with multiple ranking microsoft employees this is absolutely the case now, and even they are being told by product teams to **** off when they make recommendations)

I am regularly fighting with engineers/developers now at MIcrosoft who REFUSE to accept that a product change they are forcing on us cannot be accepted because it violated our regulatory security requirements. Those same engineers tell us "tough, we're not changing our minds"... ONLY for a completely seperate development team to create an override to that first product team so that we can have an "undo" for the first product teams decisions.

This has become worse and worse. And it's not just Windows that they're pulling this sort of horrendous development with. Office365 / Azure has dramatically become worse. Go into your azure portal and 1/2 the links don't take you to the service yo want. But to a splash page telling you that the service is renamed and a new link is elsewhere.

Then there's "hidden" features being put into non-feature updates. Like the "news and weather" widget that was automatically deployed to all users in security update. Weeks before the ADMX / GPO filterse were created to block it. my network load went up 15% the day this feature went live. Requiring a forced Registry change to be deployed to every workstation to block it outright.

Windows 10 when it launched was super fast and responsive and super Lean. A fresh install would take about 10-15gb, and only use 1.5gb of RAM before application install. Right now, a brand new fresh install takes 40GB of space and 3.5gb of RAM before I forcably remove Windows bloat.

Now, if my users were just using windows like they did at home. Without restrictions and no real regulatory controls, I'm sure the experience would be fine. But we have massive amount of restrictions, controls and regulatory requirements for security and auditing. Getting any of this working with windows 10 has been a massive royal pain in the ass as Microsofts "Security" is more aimed at preventing System Administrators from doing anything and doesn't even fully protect our users.

Nevermind getting windows to behave now in VDI VMWare Horizons instant Clones. Windows has a bunch of stupid logic built into the back end which over-writes configuration on instantclones and outright even ignores GPO. Constantly resetting user defaults despite GPO/VMWare DEM. Because "windows" thinks it's smarter than us.
Well, like you said, if you are using it without trying to change it, it would most likely cause you less issues. You are in a fight with the OS. It is Microsoft's system, and they will do what they think is best. I will agree that it might be frustrating from the point of view of someone like yourself, who want to have it your way... And for someone like you Linux is a better option for you own use... But apparently whoever you are working for wants Microsoft and there are good reasons for that. I have worked with small shops and larger ones that fell into the Linux trap, (Red Hat) and found themselves in real trouble when things went south. The cost of trying to pay for Linux experts and admins was far greater than the cost of using Microsoft. It would appear that you are unhappy that Windows isn't like Linux. As far as that goes MacOS also has a lot of "bloat", and that is where the discussion started. The subject was not about system admin and what would give the most control. As I said to someone else if you want it your way, Linux is the way to go... So you would need to convince your employer, not me, or those of us on MacRumors to switch to Linux... I don't know how well that would go over.

Reactions: PC_tech

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well, like you said, if you are using it without trying to change it, it would most likely cause you less issues. You are in a fight with the OS. It is Microsoft's system, and they will do what they think is best. I will agree that it might be frustrating from the point of view of someone like yourself, who want to have it your way... And for someone like you Linux is a better option for you own use... But apparently whoever you are working for wants Microsoft and there are good reasons for that. I have worked with small shops and larger ones that fell into the Linux trap, (Red Hat) and found themselves in real trouble when things went south. The cost of trying to pay for Linux experts and admins was far greater than the cost of using Microsoft. It would appear that you are unhappy that Windows isn't like Linux. As far as that goes MacOS also has a lot of "bloat", and that is where the discussion started. The subject was not about system admin and what would give the most control. As I said to someone else if you want it your way, Linux is the way to go... So you would need to convince your employer, not me, or those of us on MacRumors to switch to Linux... I don't know how well that would go over.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. It’s Microsoft’s system. So that means we can’t be objective or critical or complain about anything anymore? Pros complained to Apple which led to an apology and the iMac Pro and Mac Pro 2019. People kept complaining about the horrible keyboards and that’s changed. People complained back when Xbox One was going to be online only in 2013 and that was changed.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Not sure what you are trying to say here. It’s Microsoft’s system. So that means we can’t be objective or critical or complain about anything anymore? Pros complained to Apple which led to an apology and the iMac Pro and Mac Pro 2019. People kept complaining about the horrible keyboards and that’s changed. People complained back when Xbox One was going to be online only in 2013 and that was changed.
You can complain all you want... But at some point, if the complaints are not valid or not going to accomplish anything then you need to move on. The complaints about Apple and their shoddy treatment of their users was valid. It cost people time and money over an issue that was clearly wrong and the fault of Apple. Being upset that Microsoft doesn't do Windows the way that you want or blaming them for bad actors that pose security risks is entirely different. Now I would say the same about Apple and the iPad. They are doing what is best for them... you can express your discontent, but they are not doing anything that is actually wrong in limiting the iPad in the manner that they do. This is entirely different than selling a faulty product to the user and then expecting them to pay for your mistake.

Reactions: PC_tech

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You can complain all you want... But at some point, if the complaints are not valid or not going to accomplish anything then you need to move on. The complaints about Apple and their shoddy treatment of their users was valid. It cost people time and money over an issue that was clearly wrong and the fault of Apple. Being upset that Microsoft doesn't do Windows the way that you want or blaming them for bad actors that pose security risks is entirely different. Now I would say the same about Apple and the iPad. They are doing what is best for them... you can express your discontent, but they are not doing anything that is actually wrong in limiting the iPad in the manner that they do. This is entirely different than selling a faulty product to the user and then expecting them to pay for your mistake.

So we can pretty much stop all discussions for anything then? Think iOS should be opened up? Too bad! Can’t talk about it.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
So we can pretty much stop all discussions for anything then? Think iOS should be opened up? Too bad! Can’t talk about it.
Have the discussion, explain your point of view. It could get back to Apple and it might make a difference. Another option is to work on solutions for issues. I discovered a new file app that is better than Apple thanks to the discussion you started on the iPad. I agree with a lot of what you are frustrated about. I also expressed my concern that the current model of the app store inhibits developers, and I hope that Apple will change that. You can have a discussion without attacking. And there is no need to trash other systems that are not your favorite. Windows is my preferred system, but I like MacOS and Linux, and I accept that others may prefer those for their own reasons. I come to MacR to learn more about programs and tips on Macs, since I don't use MacOS as much as Windows, this is very useful for me.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Have the discussion, explain your point of view. It could get back to Apple and it might make a difference. Another option is to work on solutions for issues. I discovered a new file app that is better than Apple thanks to the discussion you started on the iPad. I agree with a lot of what you are frustrated about. I also expressed my concern that the current model of the app store inhibits developers, and I hope that Apple will change that. You can have a discussion without attacking. And there is no need to trash other systems that are not your favorite. Windows is my preferred system, but I like MacOS and Linux, and I accept that others may prefer those for their own reasons. I come to MacR to learn more about programs and tips on Macs, since I don't use MacOS as much as Windows, this is very useful for me.
But we can't just shrug and stop. You think businesses will change the minute you complain about something? It takes time. I am sure it took MANY MANY pros to complain to Apple about the trash can Mac Pro fiasco before they said "Yeah we need to do something here".

Reactions: Mendota

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
But we can't just shrug and stop. You think businesses will change the minute you complain about something? It takes time. I am sure it took MANY MANY pros to complain to Apple about the trash can Mac Pro fiasco before they said "Yeah we need to do something here".
I agree. Still, we need to be mindful that others may like what we don't. For example, many are complaining about MacOS being too much like IOS, a mobile system. But I am happy with MacOS. I am not happy with them taking out 32 bit support, as I can't run some of my favorite older programs, but I know that Apple is not going to change their mind on that.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I agree. Still, we need to be mindful that others may like what we don't. For example, many are complaining about MacOS being too much like IOS, a mobile system. But I am happy with MacOS. I am not happy with them taking out 32 bit support, as I can't run some of my favorite older programs, but I know that Apple is not going to change their mind on that.
Others probably LOVED the trash can Mac Pro. I know one individual that did, he liked it as he could take it with him.

I am sure others LOVE that Windows has issues all the time because they like fixing things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.