Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Really? pre-Nadella, did you see such an investment in supporting non-windows platforms? It was with Nadella that there was a big push to offer MS services and products across any and all platforms. Just take a look at Office for the Mac. It was a joke compared to what was available in windows (feature wise) and cadence of updates. Balmer (and Gates) had the mentality that in order for MS to succeed, Apple (and android) and to lose. With Nadella, MS can succeed with Apple's and Android's success.

Oh, I think Nadella is a great CEO and Microsoft will do great and become even more successful - but I’m talking from the end user perspective, their products still seem like they just don’t care about details, they change direction all the time, and make half-baked products that have good elements. But hey, that’s just my impression.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Must just be me that is the only Apple user that also uses Windows and has none of the issues anyone else has. I like being that unique.

Anyway, I still prefer to use my M1 MM when I am working, stops me from gaming or wandering away from work. When I want downtime I have to make that decision to switch on the PC and move away from work.

Ensures I stay intensely productive :)

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Must just be me that is the only Apple user that also uses Windows and has none of the issues anyone else has. I like being that unique.

Anyway, I still prefer to use my M1 MM when I am working, stops me from gaming or wandering away from work. When I want downtime I have to make that decision to switch on the PC and move away from work.

Ensures I stay intensely productive :)
Not just you. ;) No real issues on my setup either. Both systems have been trouble free mostly.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Yeah, Nadella has definitely improved the culture and given it a shot of vitality and new life.
Baller should have been a high school
Football coach, not a CEO. The bro slime salesperson culture seems to be gone, but the fiefdoms are still intact judging by the breakdown of Windows 11 UI once you dig down a few levels. However, I agree ? that Nadella has improved MS software business, but hardware is still a missed opportunity. I don’t think Panay is their guy, someone with real vision is needed.

Reactions: PsykX

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
It is more stable. Every time I've booted up my PC I'm always reminded of how much smoother it runs than my macbook pro. And it's not like I'm rocking anything crazy specs wise.

Reactions: PC_tech and Mendota

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
The main problem with last macOS is the change on two partitions/conteiners with APFS .
When MacOS was running on one only partition all was smooth and fast ...

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Noticing that a lot of the 'negative' comments are coming from those working with Windows. I get that in a working environment, lots of challenges there. Especially in larger corporates. But it's going off on a tangent. This thread is really about individuals using Windows.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Noticing that a lot of the 'negative' comments are coming from those working with Windows. I get that in a working environment, lots of challenges there. Especially in larger corporates. But it's going off on a tangent. This thread is really about individuals using Windows.
The percentage of nobody "working" with windows is very very very low. Even on my gaming computer, Windows is a mess to deal with. Drivers are still a mess causing DDU to be used often, random features that gets shoved down my throat and more.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The percentage of nobody "working" with windows is very very very low. Even on my gaming computer, Windows is a mess to deal with. Drivers are still a mess causing DDU to be used often, random features that gets shoved down my throat and more.

Fair enough, seems some are either more prone to having issues, finding issues or whatever. I just don't seem to come across anyone that seems to not be able to do what they need without having all these driver or other issues. Myself included.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Drivers are still a mess causing DDU to be used often, random features that gets shoved down my throat and more.
What GPU are you using and how are you updating your drivers? Truth be told, its a rarity that I run into a driver issue, especially graphics. I have run into issues, but not enough to say that drivers are a mess or that windows is a mess.

If you think about it, consider how there are so many varied and different components and windows generally doesn't bat an eye at. I get that macOS is customized to run on some specific hardware and thus optimized, but you have to give credit to MS (and Linux people) to be able to run on so much different hardware and do it very well.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I rarely ever have GPU driver install issue with AMD or Nvidia but I extract the drivers and only install essential GPU and HDMI audio drivers through device manager while leaving out things like PhysX, Experience, etc. When updating drivers I go through device manager to uninstall/delete driver first which reverts to VGA then install new driver most often without even rebooting. Don't need DDU with this method. Also suggest spending ~$10 for a Windows 10 Pro key vs Home since you can set a group policy to disable automatic driver updates to avoid potential issues.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I rarely ever have GPU driver issue with AMD or Nvidia but I extract the drivers and only install essential GPU and HDMI audio drivers through device manager while leaving out things like PhysX, Experience, etc. When updating drivers I go through device manager to uninstall/delete driver which reverts to VGA then install new driver most often without even rebooting. Also suggest spending ~$10 for a Windows 10 Pro key vs Home since you can set a group policy to disable automatic driver updates to avoid potential issues.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10
Windows update should only ever install WHQL drivers anyways. End users probably shouldn't be installing the beta drivers from AMD/Nvidia (unless it is to fix an issue).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows update should only ever install WHQL drivers anyways. End users probably shouldn't be installing the beta drivers from AMD/Nvidia (unless it is to fix an issue).
I turned off drive update in the windows settings due to the Gigabyte motherboard issue that I incurred from the last update (see I have run into issues ;) )

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
The only troll here is you if you say you are working with Windows everyday and think it is stable. It is a disaster by definition, everyday in a IT life is a nightmare caused by Microsoft incompetence, buggy updates, unreliable control panel / settings mix, services stopping without reasons, prehistoric install / uninstall system. And btw i’ve used Linux, BeOS, AmigaOS, Linux and of course Windows. Fanboyism is neglecting the truth about Windows every OS can have advantages and disadvantages in different situations, but overall macOS is a god send and for sure thread started is a clueless user at best, cmon why you didn’t ask him why it says Big Sur is a mess, I have all costumers exited and happy with it.
It actually is quite stable, I really have to question your use of it ?

Reactions: Mendota

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
I think what it might be is that Windows can get infected easier than macOS so if the user goes onto websites and gets trojans etc.. it slows down the windows OS and such and people need help so they bring their PC in to get fixed but it’s hard to fix when there’s viruses in it.

I think macOS is better at defending against this sort of “user error” so I think on average macOS performs better for the average consumer. For someone who is super into IT and is super careful they won’t have the issue either way but anyways.. do you think this could be one of the reasons Ikir?
Not for one minute can anyone take you seriously with this kind of crap....?

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
But it’s not really more stable, that’s just OP’s experience. For me it’s totally the opposite. I keep having problems with Windows while macOS goes weeks without restarting or issues.

That said, I don’t think any OS’ foundation is to blame.

Possibly, but I don’t see a change in their products, really.
It's my experience that's it's smooth and works and it's also countless others as well ?

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Just take a look at how many times you click on a window in Windows and the entire window becomes white and says "Not responding"? And then you click some more and a popup asks you to close the app. I use Windows and macOS daily and hangs like that happen to me every single day on Windows 10 1709 and 1909 (meant for businesses), even on fresh new installations.
Very rarely happens to most people ?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Very rarely happens to most people ?
It did it all the way back in 2002 with Windows XP and it still does it today, on every single PC and Windows XP+ installation in existence. It's been nearly 20 years now.

I've used at least a dozen completely different PC configurations on nearly a daily basis since then, and it happened on every single one I've tried (or had).

The problem with Windows is, some apps don't seem to know they are "loading" something.
So when you click, BOOM. White screen. Not responding.
You decide to click again? BOOM. Popup asking you to end the process.

Reactions: ikir

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
It did it all the way back in 2002 with Windows XP and it still does it today, on every single PC and Windows XP+ installation in existence. It's been nearly 20 years now.

I've used at least a dozen completely different PC configurations on nearly a daily basis since then, and it happened on every single one I've tried (or had).

The problem with Windows is, some apps don't seem to know they are "loading" something.
So when you click, BOOM. White screen. Not responding.
You decide to click again? BOOM. Popup asking you to end the process.
That simply does not happen to the majority of people, sounds like a you problem.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That simply does not happen to the majority of people, sounds like a you problem.

Nope it’s a simple test for 5 minutes of programming. If the UI thread is busy loading stuff, it shows Not Responding. I see this all the time too.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Windows has always done this, and still does, all the time. No way is this a rarity.

That doesn’t mean Windows 10 isn’t a decent OS. I happen to like it a lot (and the versatility it provides). But the “not responding” white box is definitely a thing.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
And the same is true of MacOS. And some people like those features, as someone said to you in another thread, it can't just be about you. You are more forgiving toward Apple. I wonder if there is something wrong with your machine. And remember there are many people who like the extra things Microsoft provides. I actually like the little weather app in the task bar, and I am not alone. It is unfortunate for you that Apple is not so great for gaming and you have to put up with Windows, but nothing in life is perfect.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And the same is true of MacOS. And some people like those features, as someone said to you in another thread, it can't just be about you. You are more forgiving toward Apple. I wonder if there is something wrong with your machine. And remember there are many people who like the extra things Microsoft provides. I actually like the little weather app in the task bar, and I am not alone. It is unfortunate for you that Apple is not so great for gaming and you have to put up with Windows, but nothing in life is perfect.
Its not just about me, working in IT I deal with dozens of Windows issues daily and macOS only has on average 2 or 3 issues a week (same install base). Same can be said about ANYONE on this topic and ANY topic in general. So we should just shut down these forums then huh? It can't just be about you that wants to force Apple to allow side-loading. It can't just be about you that you find the Macbook Pro "not pro". So lets just stop any and all discussions then.

And you do realize, businesses around the world are dealing with MASSIVE issues lately - printing causing blue screens, unwanted features shoved down people's throat (which is PROVEN in the release notes of the update so its NOT just me) and such causing Microsoft to release statements on these items. If it was "just me" I would not get the attention from Microsoft.

So please, stop with the "its just you" comments. On the flipside, it can't be just about you that uses Windows perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.