Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Nobody who really uses Windows 10 and macOS can actually think Windows 10 is smoother. Windows is the second crappiest OS out there (after Android) when it comes to providing a smooth and consistent user experience.
The hardware tends to be crap but the OS itself is fine. It actually runs the things i do faster. The amount of control over the OS is amazing. I just prefer to use macOS for work/productivity since the integration with my iOS devices is convenient and features like mission control are way better. But if im playing a game, im going back to windows.

Also, I still cant find a magic mouse equivalent on windows that will last longer than a year.

But of course i'm biased since I built my own hardware and run both on it. It's pretty stable because of that. When i had a real 2019 macbook pro, it'd crash every other day even on a clean install. Plus with all the keyboard stuff going on, i sold it asap.

Reactions: Mendota

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
The hardware tends to be crap but the OS itself is fine. It actually runs the things i do faster. The amount of control over the OS is amazing. I just prefer to use macOS for work/productivity since the integration with my iOS devices is convenient and features like mission control are way better. But if im playing a game, im going back to windows.

Also, I still cant find a magic mouse equivalent on windows that will last longer than a year.

But of course i'm biased since I built my own hardware and run both on it. It's pretty stable because of that. When i had a real 2019 macbook pro, it'd crash every other day even on a clean install. Plus with all the keyboard stuff going on, i sold it asap.
Have you tried using the Magic Trackpad on Windows. You just need the Precision drivers. Works very well.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Have you tried using the Magic Trackpad on Windows. You just need the Precision drivers. Works very well.

Thanks for that. Ill keep that into consideratio!

I was mainly looking for a regular mice but it seems almost every manufacturer uses the cheap microswitch that breaks after a year or so (including logitech ones that cost $100+). Once it breaks, it starts exhibiting double click problems and your expensive mice is a paper weight.

In comparison, my magic mouse 1 lasted from 2010 to 2019 under heavy daily all day use. With apps like bettertouchtool, it's such a powerhouse.

Reactions: MacDaddyPanda

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Windows 10 is the best Windows ever IMO, but underneath it all, it's still Windows.
The foundation of this OS makes it unstable.

Few things I secretly hope Apple would bring it to macOS :
- Task Manager (it has been worse than macOS for over an entire decade, but now I think it's better)
- Aero Snap
- Timeline (however, it disappeared from Windows 11)

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
If its impacting my ability to use the taskbar effectively and do my job, its an issue. It was common enough for Microsoft to issue a fix in the next cumulative update.

You clearly are misunderstanding the issue entirely. I don't care that it is there.

I don't use Cortana, but I am not sitting here complaining that Cortana is included with Windows. You are NOT understanding AT ALL. I DON'T CARE if that feature is there or not. But when it causes graphical issues because it was enabled by default THEN its a problem.

I am done, you are not understanding. Cortana existing in Windows, I don't like it. I am not sitting here complaining about feature in Windows that I don't like. If that feature rolled out silently OR not created an issue on my task bar this would not be a problem. BUT it did. You just don't understand the issue I am having and think I am just "having an issue for a feature I don't want to use" which is NOT what I am saying AT ALL. Again, I am not complaining that Windows has things like Cortana. I don't like it, but I don't care that its there. You might like it, great.

Also, move to linux instead of disabling the taskbar option, really? This is all it takes. But you are saying if I want "that much control" I should move to Linux?

View attachment 1811355
I rolled out a group policy update to remove and disable this crap for all users. Microsoft wasting my time again with their BS.

Reactions: Ethosik

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The foundation of this OS makes it unstable.
No it doesn't. If the foundation was still unstable, there would be a lot more discussions on windows unable to stop crashing or inversely how mac OS is more stable/less buggy and here we are in a thread promoting the idea that windows may very well be more stable then some of Apple's latest releases.

Reactions: PC_tech and Mendota

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No it doesn't. If the foundation was still unstable, there would be a lot more discussions on windows unable to stop crashing or inversely how mac OS is more stable/less buggy and here we are in a thread promoting the idea that windows may very well be more stable then some of Apple's latest releases.

But it’s not really more stable, that’s just OP’s experience. For me it’s totally the opposite. I keep having problems with Windows while macOS goes weeks without restarting or issues.

That said, I don’t think any OS’ foundation is to blame.

Yeah, Nadella has definitely improved the culture and given it a shot of vitality and new life.

Possibly, but I don’t see a change in their products, really.

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW and 09872738

Archeteo

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Windows 11 isn't even out yet, though. I do agree macOS has been a bit iffy in terms of stability — and by the time they release the beta of the new version, the current version is finally stable.

Reactions: Mendota

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But it’s not really more stable, that’s just OP’s experience. For me it’s totally the opposite. I keep having problems with Windows while macOS goes weeks without restarting or issues.
MacOS has been very stable when I was using it, though I did see a degradation in quality just as I switched to windows. I don't need to get into the nitty gritty but my user experience, and within my job supporting both servers, windows PCs and Macs is that windows provided a lot less headaches in trying to fix something then macOS. Just my personal observation

Really? pre-Nadella, did you see such an investment in supporting non-windows platforms? It was with Nadella that there was a big push to offer MS services and products across any and all platforms. Just take a look at Office for the Mac. It was a joke compared to what was available in windows (feature wise) and cadence of updates. Balmer (and Gates) had the mentality that in order for MS to succeed, Apple (and android) and to lose. With Nadella, MS can succeed with Apple's and Android's success.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 11 isn't even out yet,
I have windows 11 on my laptop, its not my daily driver so I'll be honest and upfront its not getting pushed hard or used a lot, but from what I have used, I'm impressed its been stable for me, even though its a developer release. Again, let me just say I'm doing a lot of light weight stuff and playing some games on it, so I'm not a good example to determine its overall stability

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

That said, I don’t think any OS’ foundation is to blame.

We have several work laptops that just randomly decide to BSOD every 2-3 months or so. Just once in those timeframes. Hardware has been tested, drivers have been verified, OS has been re-installed. Its just once every 2-3 months this thing happens. Rest of the time its no problem. And it happens no matter what you do. Sometimes if just Outlook was running it happens. Other time it happens when there are 5 instances of Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, VS Code, Outlook, Word, Excel 15 tabs and more. Yet the rest of the 2-3 months have the same amount of programs open and it doesn't happen.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
MacOS has been very stable when I was using it, though I did see a degradation in quality just as I switched to windows. I don't need to get into the nitty gritty but my user experience, and within my job supporting both servers, windows PCs and Macs is that windows provided a lot less headaches in trying to fix something then macOS. Just my personal observation
Same has been said about Windows. Windows 7 was nearly perfect. Windows 10 launched it was nearly perfect. But all the updates throughout the years made it become unstable.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Windows is not more stable than macOS, and has never been.

Just take a look at how many times you click on a window in Windows and the entire window becomes white and says "Not responding"? And then you click some more and a popup asks you to close the app. I use Windows and macOS daily and hangs like that happen to me every single day on Windows 10 1709 and 1909 (meant for businesses), even on fresh new installations.

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Windows is not more stable than macOS, and has never been.

Just take a look at how many times you click on a window in Windows and the entire window becomes white and says "Not responding"? And then you click some more and a popup asks you to close the app. I use Windows and macOS daily and hangs like that happen to me every single day on Windows 10 1709 and 1909 (meant for businesses), even on fresh new installations.
I have to reboot my Windows laptop at work every other day just because some system service or whatever shot itself in the head and a fresh boot is the only way out. My Macs always ran forever using sleep. Like weeks or longer. This is impossible with Windows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just take a look at how many times you click on a window in Windows and the entire window becomes white and says "Not responding"?
Zero

I use Windows and macOS daily and hangs like that happen to me every single day on Windows 10 1709 and 1909 (meant for businesses), even on fresh new installations.
My work is on 1909 and I've not had those issues ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I have nothing but problems on Windows, especially every single major update causes problems. I am also not a fan of Microsoft just enabling features out of nowhere (News and Interests taskbar just enabled after an update).

Leave my workspace alone thanks.

Also, at work we have had issues with printers as of late, and Microsoft just released another update that causes printing issues.
Weird. I've never had any issues with any Windows update and I guess I could say the same about macOS. Never really had problems because of updates. Have I gotten lucky?

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I have not had issues with windows UPdates either. I do agree with the opinion regarding their addition or removal of things, sometimes for what appears to be no good reason. That's irksome for everyone and most especially if you have to manage in Enterprise or small office environment.
But from the end user perspective I have mostly been 99% trouble free. Smooth as butter.

Reactions: PC_tech and Mendota

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have not had issues with windows UPdates
I have, but that's not to say I was problem free with Apple's updates, which I was not. My issue was recent where MS had an device update that conflicted with my motherboard. It caused a bit of a mess but once I figured out what was going on I was off like a herd of turtles.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Yeah I've only read anecdotally in Tech news of people having major issues with a Windows updates. I guess like iHorseHead said been lucky?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.