Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Haven’t had a problem with Big Sur, but the hardware is where I’ve become skeptical. After my M1 killed my external drive (got a replacement), but I sure won’t be connecting it to the M1.
Thank you for the heads up. I did some checking and it seems the M1 does have some issues with various peripherals. I won't try connecting anything to my new M1 air until things are sorted out.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Please provide some examples. I’m not seeing it
Well for one thing Windows can be loaded on thousands of different machines and configurations to include even machines older than 10 years. In addition, it does not restrict your use of software and continues to provide support for 32bit and even older in compatibility mode. It also has a nice Linux sub system build in, so the ability to run two different systems without needing to use a VM. It is also unsurpassed in its ability run complex and demanding games. These are just a few points off the top of my head. I like MacOS, and I like Linux as well, but yes, I get more done work and play on Windows. I also enjoy all the different types of Windows tablets that allow me to run full blown graphic apps such as Corel Painter without having to use to different devices, iPad and MacBook.

• Haha
Reactions: PC_tech and ikir

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Big Sur is trash, Montery is the same buggy OS.
Windows 10/11 are used on VARIETY of hardware and yet seem better than macOS recently.
Windows is for playing games. Yes it can do other things well, duh every OS on a PC can But the fact is that anyone who is building a nice windows PC today is almost always doing it to game. I’ve never met anyone or seen anyone who built a windows PC that was not strictly or mainly for gaming and that’s the truth of it.

I’ve never met anyone who is into the windows os or anyone who loves the OS they simply use it because they have to or they’re used to it. People buy windows pcs because they are inexpensive or because they want to play games i.e, they have to buy Windows because Microsoft abuses it’s power with it’s graphics API monopoly (They basically force people to use it cause if you don’t use it then they won’t allow your game on their platforms which means most people won’t be able to access it) . Windows is simply a cheap way to get a PC. Microsoft has used the monopoly they had in the 90s and has essentially turned it from Everyone needing a windows PC because of Microsoft word and internet explorer to everyone needing a windows pc if they want to play games seriously.

Microsoft uses this gaming loophole to essentially feed into a pseudo-monopoly which forces anyone who wants to play the “latest PC games” to get a windows OS PC and then they claim no macOS gamers exist... Well actually macOS gamers would exist if they had a chance to exist but when games ONLY get released on Windows it forces people to buy into the windows monopoly.

Microsoft is a company that utilizes monopoly-type situations and takes advantage of the average consumer. You think you’re getting a good deal because it’s “affordable” but in reality you’re paying for them to continue to take advantage of people for generations down the line.

meanwhile people claim apple is the company that is controlling people but it’s completely the opposite.

Last edited:

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Windows is for playing games.
I do far more than play games on Windows... As I stated above I use Windows for my graphic applications because with Windows I do not have to use two devices to get the job done, or have to resort to small "apps" instead of full featured applications. I also code on Windows, and now I don't have to load up my Linux machine to work with Linux every time. And of course I do most of my Office work with 365 on Windows.

• Haha
Reactions: ikir

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Well for one thing Windows can be loaded on thousands of different machines and configurations to include even machines older than 10 years. In addition, it does not restrict your use of software and continues to provide support for 32bit and even older in compatibility mode. It also has a nice Linux sub system build in, so the ability to run two different systems without needing to use a VM. It is also unsurpassed in its ability run complex and demanding games. These are just a few points off the top of my head. I like MacOS, and I like Linux as well, but yes, I get more done work and play on Windows. I also enjoy all the different types of Windows tablets that allow me to run full blown graphic apps such as Corel Painter without having to use to different devices, iPad and MacBook.
So basically because windows has a bunch of monopolies and forces people to use it’s graphics API otherwise they won’t allow it on their systems/OS, Windows is the best gaming system.. Yes I agree. Nice job windows. They’ve always been one of the best companies in the world at finding monopoly loopholes.

Reactions: 09872738

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I do far more than play games on Windows... As I stated above I use Windows for my graphic applications because with Windows I do not have to use two devices to get the job done, or have to resort to small "apps" instead of full featured applications. I also code on Windows, and now I don't have to load up my Linux machine to work with Linux every time. And of course I do most of my Office work with 365 on ......
Never said it couldn’t be used for other things. It’s still mostly for gaming. Whether you like it or not, most people who are buying and building a windows PC today are buying it for gaming mainly or for mining bitcoins (lol sad). The reason is because Windows is the “best” gaming platform right now because Microsoft has esssentially cornered the market. Most people use phones and such instead. Most people do not own a windows PC these days because there’s no point in owning one. Chrome books are way better than windows PCs have ever been for the majority of people (and I despise chromebooks)

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
So basically because windows has a bunch of monopolies and forces people to use it’s graphics API otherwise they won’t allow it on their systems/OS, Windows is the best gaming system.. Yes I agree. Nice job windows. They’ve always been one of the best companies in the world at finding monopoly loopholes.
You know I don't understand people such as yourself. As I said to someone else... These are operating systems, not religions. These are computers not shrines. I happen to like computers and I enjoy using different systems at different times. It is like visiting various places and trying new things. All systems have their benefits. I am not into tribalism and operating system wars. Windows made it possible for more people to be able to enjoy computing than any other company. Apple was too expensive for many, and Linux was too difficult for most average users.

Reactions: PC_tech and RedRage

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I do far more than play games on Windows... As I stated above I use Windows for my graphic applications because with Windows I do not have to use two devices to get the job done, or have to resort to small "apps" instead of full featured applications. I also code on Windows, and now I don't have to load up my Linux machine to work with Linux every time. And of course I do most of my Office work with 365 on Windows.
Office 365 should be boycotted because so many places “demand” that you use Office which is honestly the worst. It’s basically like forcing people to pay windows money because you can’t even buy Office 365 you can only subscribe to it.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
You know I don't understand people such as yourself. As I said to someone else... These are operating systems, not religions. These are computers not shrines. I happen to like computers and I enjoy using different systems at different times. It is like visiting various places and trying new things. All systems have their benefits. I am not into tribalism and operating system wars. Windows made it possible for more people to be able to enjoy computing than any other company. Apple was too expensive for many, and Linux was too difficult for most average users.
No one said it’s a religion. You’re the one saying all these “fancy” things that windows can do and you word it making it seem like macOS is completely incapable of doing any solid job. You’re the one making it seem like windows is far superior. I never said you can’t use both or use windows. I’m just saying that windows manipulates the whole world into using it especially gamers.

I like windows. It’s a good OS but I don’t like Microsoft and I don’t like how they use windows to manipulate people.

Windows is more expensive than Apple actually but hey whatever... I bought my macbook but I can sell it for a large amount of its initial expense and it’s 4 years old.. So really it costs less than the equivalent windows laptop because windows laptops don’t hold retail value. Not to mention you have to pay over $100 a year for Office 365 which would have been over $400 by now. Windows is expensive, they’re just good at making it seem like they are giving you a great deal. Samsung does the same thing (for example they “include a free” Pen with a tablet but in reality it isn’t free it’s just part of the price tag)

I would rather pay honestly right away than have a bunch of ”hidden taxes” and I love the resale value on a Apple product. I can either sell it or give it to my family/friends as a gift! Windows laptops just don’t last 4-8 years. At least not the way I run them. They slow down in a year or less and they just are clunky in many regards. Not a great gift as a “hand me down” But my 2018 iPad Pro or my Macbook will make fine gifts some day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 09872738 and ikir

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
And your last comment makes no sense. Windows as last reported in late 2020 has 80 plus percent of the Market. Chromebooks 10 percent, and MacOS 7 percent. So obviously more people have Windows.

Reactions: PC_tech

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Big Sur is trash, Montery is the same buggy OS.
Windows 10/11 are used on VARIETY of hardware and yet seem better than macOS recently.
I’m an IT and I work with so many Windows computers everyday, and they are terrible, Windows is a complete mess, unstable, obsolete and you need third party software for any basic tasks.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Okay? No one said it’s a religion. I never said you can’t use both or use windows. I’m just saying that windows manipulates the whole world into using it.

I like windows. It’s good but it’s a terrible company to support.
Companies are companies... They all do whatever they can get away with, and that includes Apple and Google. There are not white and black hats here.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I’m an IT and I work with so many Windows computers everyday, and they are terrible, Windows is a complete mess, unstable, obsolete and you need third party software for any basic tasks.
I have worked in IT for over 20 years and there is no truth to you comment. I am not interested in fan boyism. You haven't given any examples. So, no, I am not going there. I have used about every operating system on desktop there is to include early Apple, OS2 Warp, the BeOS on both Apple and PC, Geoworks, and IBM. Oh and I forgot several flavors of Linux. I know exactly what all of these systems are about... So no one showing up making nonsensical comments is going to phase me. Save your breath (or hands in this case) I know BS where I hear and read it.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I have worked in IT for over 20 years and there is no truth to you comment. I am not interested in fan boyism. You haven't given any examples. So, no, I am not going there. I have used about every operating system on desktop there is to include early Apple, OS2 Warp, the BeOS on both Apple and PC, Geoworks, and IBM. I know exactly what all of these systems are about... So no one showing up making nonsensical comments is going to phase me. Save your breath (or hands in this case) I know BS where I hear and read it.
No I don’t care where you’ve worked and for how long. I’ve lived for longer than your 20 years of IT service and I’ve used computers for my whole life. There is truth to his comments. Everyone knows macOS is more stable on average than windows. This is a big reason why MANY people move to macOS (myself included) despite the drawbacks of not being able to use all the windows programs on macOS.

Windows PCs have WAY more issues than macOS and there’s NO denying this. I have used Windows and macOS for my whole life. Everyone I know agrees with this and I am the ONLY macOS user. I have been sitting next to a windows PC with my macbook for over a year and the amount of times the Windows PC has to be “reset” because it slows to a halt and such is innumerable whereas I never had to do that once with my macbook.

I’ve had so many issues with windows that I actually moved to macOS because I could not stand them anymore. Constant slows/halts, slow start to the PC even when it’s completely fresh And there’s nothing starting at start-up. Random errors that stop me from opening programs for months on end, and then all of a sudden they work magically some day.

I bought multiple windows PCs, Laptops, it didn’t matter they all had the same issues come.

Nothing like that has happened on macOS in over 4 years.

All this to say, I KNOW macOS is actually “less” stable than windows in many ways supposedly. And it’s been this way for quite some time. However, for the average consumer and that means most of us, it is more stable. Don’t ask me why this is the case... It’s just the anecdotal truth.

I have read about IT experts complaining about Apple but I have read about IT experts complaining about Windows so it’s clear to me that they both have shortcomings and advantages.

I know it seems dumb but I wish apple and Microsoft would make a single OS together. call it WindOS LOL or something.

Last edited:

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
And your last comment makes no sense. Windows as last reported in late 2020 has 80 plus percent of the Market. Chromebooks 10 percent, and MacOS 7 percent. So obviously more people have Windows.
LMAO that’s not true come on friend... Windows has about 73 percent of the market and it’s losing ground. MacOS has around 11-12 and the chromebooks are the rest plus Linux!! Obviously more people have windows because most people still have their pcs and don’t want to change that.

Wait another 25 years mr.know it all.

the big note here is that Windows is losing market share, macOS and others are gaining

If windows doesn’t make a good ARM chip they’re going to completely become obsolete in the next 30 years. Apple is going to win the PC and mobile OS market since the competition is really not competing right now.

I would rather not have any competition in the OS market to be honest I would rather just have one good Uniform OS that everyone is used to but alas.... I just hope all the OS’s become so similar that they’re all basically macOS / iOS clones (which is currently what has happened especially with windows 11) Of course I want all the options.. I think the desktop/PC OS should be able to “do it all” which is why I like that apple is allowing people to use iOS apps on macOS now. I think that’s great and it makes it more similar to windows.

RANDOM SIDE NOTE — I dislike Dark Mode and feel like it’s mostly a trend.

I don’t want to fight anyone in the MacRumors we’re all friends here.. but seriously I am no fan of Microsoft and have had many issues with windows and you cannot say that it doesn’t exist, it does for me and clearly some others here too (like ikir) !! :) anyways... I know that any OS can be great.. Windows Can be perfect, I’ve seen it. But when I’ve used it it has not been that way for me (YMMV)

My brother has great experiences with his windows PC and he’s never really had issues (aside from having to reset it sometimes cause it starts to lag//lose internet connection but I believe that is just because it is quite old at this point) I know that windows can be super stable but in my experience it has been sub-par and I would gladly pay even more than the current macbook price for the macOS over the Windows OS.

Last edited:
  • Love

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I have worked in IT for over 20 years and there is no truth to you comment. I am not interested in fan boyism. You haven't given any examples. So, no, I am not going there. I have used about every operating system on desktop there is to include early Apple, OS2 Warp, the BeOS on both Apple and PC, Geoworks, and IBM. Oh and I forgot several flavors of Linux. I know exactly what all of these systems are about... So no one showing up making nonsensical comments is going to phase me. Save your breath (or hands in this case) I know BS where I hear and read it.
The only troll here is you if you say you are working with Windows everyday and think it is stable. It is a disaster by definition, everyday in a IT life is a nightmare caused by Microsoft incompetence, buggy updates, unreliable control panel / settings mix, services stopping without reasons, prehistoric install / uninstall system. And btw i’ve used Linux, BeOS, AmigaOS, Linux and of course Windows. Fanboyism is neglecting the truth about Windows every OS can have advantages and disadvantages in different situations, but overall macOS is a god send and for sure thread started is a clueless user at best, cmon why you didn’t ask him why it says Big Sur is a mess, I have all costumers exited and happy with it.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
LMAO that’s not true. Windows has about 73 percent of the market and it’s losing ground. MacOS has around 11-12 and the chromebooks are the rest plus Linux!! Obviously more people have windows because most people still have their pcs and don’t want to change that.

Wait another 25 years mr.know it all.

the big note here is that Windows is losing market share, macOS and others are gaining

If windows doesn’t make a good ARM chip they’re going to completely become obsolete in the next 30 years. Apple is going to win the PC and mobile OS market since the competition is really not competing right now.

I would rather not have any competition in the OS market to be honest I would rather just have one good Uniform OS that everyone is used to but alas.. Google.
Here is the link of the latest report.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
The only troll here is you if you say you are working with Windows everyday and think it is stable. It is a disaster by definition, everyday in a IT life is a nightmare caused by Microsoft incompetence, buggy updates, unreliable control panel / settings mix, services stopping without reasons, prehistoric install / uninstall system. And btw i’ve used Linux, BeOS, AmigaOS, Linux and of course Windows. Fanboyism is neglecting the truth about Windows every OS can have advantages and disadvantages in different situations, but overall macOS is a god send and for sure thread started is a clueless user at best, cmon why you didn’t ask him why it says Big Sur is a mess, I have all costumers exited and happy with it.
I am sorry but your opinion is not from on high. If you are having all these issues with Windows that suggest that you are not as competent as you believe. At any rate it is obvious that you are a fanboy caught up in some sort of belief that jumping on a band wagon for Linux and trashing Windows improves your life. Perhaps it does... At any rate given that there is no reasonable discussion to be had I am out for now. I'll wait and see if anyone else joins the thread. By the way I am not the one that claimed MacOS was trash... Perhaps you should go back and take up your "cause" with some of those that actually attacked MacOS. At any rate I am not going to subject myself to any suspensions with MacR over something so silly.

• Love
Reactions: PC_tech

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I dipped my toe into MAC OS for a few months. I went back to Windows. I bought the Mac Mini 2018 when they 1st redesigned it. I liked it for a bit and then all the little UI things and flow started to annoy me. Probably because I'm just so used to Windows. But relegating Mac Mini to my bedroom as Internet system and PC as my main rig I find Windows more to my liking. And I use windows all day at work at varying levels. But just from a practical smoothness general user experience Windows 10 has been very solid for me as well. Only times I had issues were because it was introduced by my own actions.

Reactions: Mendota

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I think what it might be is that Windows can get infected easier than macOS so if the user goes onto websites and gets trojans etc.. it slows down the windows OS and such and people need help so they bring their PC in to get fixed but it’s hard to fix when there’s viruses in it.

I think macOS is better at defending against this sort of “user error” so I think on average macOS performs better for the average consumer. For someone who is super into IT and is super careful they won’t have the issue either way but anyways.. do you think this could be one of the reasons Ikir?

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Here is the link of the latest report.
I go by what I see in real life and the reality is that people do not buy windows they buy PCs. People actually buy macOS for macOS. Yes of course people own windows PCs these days and still buy them because they’re affordable and cheap. It doesn’t change the fact that most of those people would prefer a macbook if they could afford it. Most people are buying laptops because they need them for university/etc. Not because they want a windows OS pc.

Stop acting like Windows is amazing when most people use it because it’s a necessity not a want. Windows is great and it does things super well.

But stop acting like millions of people haven’t given up on it due to buggy/slow/bad connections/etc and moved to macOS.

Microsoft has been trying to get people to “fanboy” over Windows since the launch of Windows 10, that was actually one of their big ideas. They want people to “love” windows like people “love” macOS. So why are we acting like it’s a bad thing to love an OS? The big difference is that Apple doesn’t have to try to get people to love it because the OS has been amazing for decades. I remember when I was an apple hater, our school was lucky enough to have powerbooks in 2003 and onwards. I used to think it was worse than windows in almost every way but in the back of my mind I thought it was way better I was just upset that we didn’t have one at home. That’s because they’ve had the OS on lock for a long time and windows had just caught up with windows 10 (if that).

I hope windows 11 is even better than 10.. but it’s funny to me because Microsoft said they would never release Windows 11.. They said Windows 10 was the last one and they’d just keep updating it... LOL well as soon as Apple released macOS 11 instead of macOS 10.16, look at what Microsoft does.. Windows 11.

I hope Windows keeps copying apple so that they’re identical. That way windows fanboys will have nothing to say.

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I’ve never met anyone or seen anyone who built a windows PC that was not strictly or mainly for gaming and that’s the truth of it.
You don't meet many professional people then.

most of those people would prefer a macbook if they could afford it.

Oh please, stop now. You are just embarrassing yourself now.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
lol I like how some posts are just viewing Windows through their own prism. nevermind the complete contradiction to their own experience. And or unverified anecdotal evidence.
From a General user perspective Windows 10 is on par with Mac OS. This is proven every day in both the client space and Enterprise Space from the end user.
On the Enterprise management side is where I understand some of the frustration managing Windows. Not from personal experience but from reading others who are admins etc. So I get that. But for a regular everyday user. Personal preference is where that comes into play. And whatever you like from that perspective is fine. If I did not game whatsoever the choice between Windows/MacOS becomes much less clear. It boils down to what you do with the system. And there are many points of pros and cons that help differentiate which is more suited for ones needs. If security is the focus out of the box Windows is probably lacking in this area. Since you are Admin user by default. WHile Linux, MacOS are not.

Reactions: LeeW and Mendota

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
At 75% or thereabouts market share Windows will remain the choice for the corporate and personal users.

Today's update from Apple shows Macs represent just 10.1% of the overall revenue. Not insignificant but certainly not significant. Wearables/accessories have overtaken Macs, iPad will soon overtake them as well.

Even when Macs represent the smallest % it will still be important but Apple for some time has its sights set on everything in its range, except Macs. Not saying they are going anywhere but it is not their future in terms of the growth they are aiming for. Neither are Macs the direction their users new/old are heading.

Times are changing for Microsoft as well. The general non-gaming home user does not need a desktop machine. A phone plus tablet is enough and where needed the laptop is the most likely choice. Microsoft is in no way placed to fill the void when it comes to phones and tablets, hence their move to produce devices like the Duo with Android installed.

Where Apple is picking up Mac users is those who already have a foot in the door with all or a combination of iPhone/iPad/Air Pods/Watch. At the next buying decision on desktop/laptop, these users are likely to give more consideration to a Mac. Makes sense, not because they have a burning desire to own one.

It's not always about cost, many won't go near a Mac simply as they don't value them that high for their use case. But mostly it is down to the majority always seeing Windows as a safer bet as it is what they are used to.

Reactions: Mendota
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.