Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
See... All is well that ends well. My husband said the same, that it could be disabled. So, in the end, Microsoft is not forcing you to use it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
See... All is well that ends well. My husband said the same, that it could be disabled. So, in the end, Microsoft is not forcing you to use it.
I was forced to use it while that bug existed due to the graphical issue. Thus the core of my complaint with that feature.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I was forced to use it while that bug existed due to the graphical issue. Thus the core of my complaint with that feature.
I am happy for you. In the meantime, I think the little app is kind of cute. I like having the weather right there, not a big deal but convenient. In the meantime getting back to the original subject... Do you think the new MacOS is buggy? I personally haven't had any issues, but then it is not my main system.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I am happy for you. In the meantime, I think the little app is kind of cute. I like having the weather right there, not a big deal but convenient. In the meantime getting back to the original subject... Do you think the new MacOS is buggy? I personally haven't had any issues, but then it is not my main system.
And that is fine, people like different things. I don't use Cortana but I still have the Cortana icon on my taskbar, doesn't bother me.

Other than the kernel panic experience, no I do not find macOS buggy at all. Some applications maybe, Outlook recently was quite buggy for me but that is not the fault of macOS.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Well I am having issues with the mail app. I use an alias in outlook, in addition to the main log on. It is a good way to avoid spam in my inbox. The mail app keeps trying to connect to the alias even thought I set up the main login. It is making me a little crazy, as it keeps popping up asking for a password that will not work with the alias. I just don't feel like fighting it at this point.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
The Apple mail app. I only have five install of Office or (Microsoft 365) and so I don't have it on my Mac. I am trying to use all Apple products this go round. I just bought this new Mac.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Are you using an Exchange email? The account is still tied to typically your main email and aliases don’t matter on the Mail app, exchange addresses this in the back end. I think the Mail app is just confused that it’s the alias instead of the log-in address.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Not Exchange, just regular Outlook. I never had an issue with Mojave. It worked flawlessly. But now... It works in that it is getting my mail, but then it will pop up and keep asking for the password with the alias. The alias is tied to my iCloud account, so I really can't just get rid of it. I am sure that if I try and change it all he** would break loose. It is so far a minor issue (knock on wood) and I can get to Outlook through the web. The reason I put Apple on the alias is to keep the mail for Apple easy to access without getting lost in all the other messages for work etc.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Another thread made for attention...if you just look at windows and shut down or play some music...of course it has no issues..but when you start to really use it...it is full of issues..maybe not right now, but in 2020 was a mess, even broke some devices because some of the updates
Monterey is still in beta like windows 11 so i would not talk about that
I like this threads were a user post something and leave it for replies without any proof
This topic can be closed until further notice

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I do far more than play music and look at Windows, and no it is not "full of issues". Windows 10 has been rock solid, not something I can say for MacOS at all times.

Reactions: PC_tech and LeeW

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Although I agree that working things taken for granted on Windows 10 don't work or don't work properly on Big Sur but don't you have another thread that's similar to this?

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I totally agree with you. Been using apple operating systems since Tiger and they stopped being reliable from Mavericks onwards.
Catalina for should be just pulled and forgotten.

there are so many absurd bugs in macOS that is just unpleasant to use. If you surf the web it’s fine. If you try to do something more you come across issues over issues.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
All I can really say is I never got BSOD/kernel panic on my Window 10 PC unless I screwed up my overclock.

On the other hand, kernel panics and memory leaks are common on my MacBook Pro.

Only time I have issues with my Mac is when I leave Visual Studio running. Probably because it isn't native yet. I've just learned to close the app when I'm not using it and I no longer have problems with my M1 MacBook.

MetalMac

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Tijuana, MX
I've also used mac os since the Panther-Tiger. I miss how OSXs selling point was the under the hood stuff. I can't believe I cannot trust bluetooth audio on macos, now it's all about emojis.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have nothing but problems on Windows, especially every single major update causes problems. I am also not a fan of Microsoft just enabling features out of nowhere (News and Interests taskbar just enabled after an update).

Leave my workspace alone thanks.
So clearly for you Windows is a work-only OS, which is fine.

But a huge chunk of Windows users use it as their main, and only OS. Approximately 90% of computer users worldwide infact.
As a main OS you have to keep innovating, and adding features, otherwise you’re out of the game.

Look at Apple with iOS15. Half the user threads made about it are about Apple adding features/changing functionality just for the sake of change.

Reactions: PC_tech and Mendota

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Not sure how one can judge Windows 11 or Monterey at this point considering they are not final yet.

But one thing for sure, this will be a rare instance when a new macOS Monterey will support older hardware than a new Windows 11.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I'm not sure if Windows is more stable and less buggier but it definitely is much much smoother. Even on trash hardware that's old af. It's a shame that macOS hasn't been so good in this aspect for years.

Reactions: Mendota

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm not sure if Windows is more stable and less buggier but it definitely is much much smoother. Even on trash hardware that's old af. It's a shame that macOS hasn't been so good in this aspect for years.

Agreed. Windows 10 will run on machines with HDDs quite well, MacOS is hopeless on HDD machines.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Imo the issue is when Apple requires metal support, and thus putting heavier requirements on the GPU, which intel had sucked for so long on their integrated solutions.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Agreed. Windows 10 will run on machines with HDDs quite well, MacOS is hopeless on HDD machines.
Hmm, Windows 10 sucks on HDDs as well. Windows Update will always trash machines with HDDs.
But I agree that macOS is less tolerant towards HDD as Apple had gone all SSD on their laptops for a while.

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
Honestly, both macOS and Windows are now both really refined operating systems. Running on good hardware and with clean software, either will work just fine - it’s mainly down to personal preference and the “eco system” you’re tied into.

As an IT manager working mainly on Windows, I appreciate macOS when I get home for the way it gets out of the way and just works without fuss.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Imo the issue is when Apple requires metal support, and thus putting heavier requirements on the GPU, which intel had sucked for so long on their integrated solutions.
I'd say it's just bad or lazy engineering. They had buttery smooth UI up until OS X Mavericks and then they broke it with Yosemite and then they were supposed to fix it with Metal accelerated UI, but the effort fixed literally nothing. But they had to mock Scott Forstall's work at that time instead of working harder and fix their faults.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.