Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
Well I read the article. It states that the problem is caused by disabling the news and info widget. Since I never bothered with it and it didn't bother me, I don't have the problem. There are however two solutions. 1. Re enable it. 2. uninstall the update. What is the point of making such a big deal out of a simple issue? You might not care for the feature, but there are those that do like it. Just like I don't use iMessage, but I realize there are those that do. Pick the solution that works for you and move on. You are using systems that are in use by over a billion people, it cannot cater to just what you want. If you want that kind of system... Use Linux. Otherwise realize that just because you don't like something, does not mean that others are not enjoying it.

Here’s my problem with Windows updates like these (the main issue I have with Windows over macOS):

some time ago, Microsoft sacked their updated testing team and relied instead on beta test feedback. Since then their updates have been regularly problematic.

While a “simple” issue might not cause you as one person an issue, Windows is the platform of choice for most businesses - and trust me, even if it’s only a simple issue, if you’ve got 500 + machines with the same issue, it becomes a much bigger problem.

• Love
Reactions: Ethosik

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'd say it's just bad or lazy engineering. They had buttery smooth UI up until OS X Mavericks and then they broke it with Yosemite and then they were supposed to fix it with Metal accelerated UI, but the effort fixed literally nothing. But they had to mock Scott Forstall's work at that time instead of working harder and fix their faults.
I'm going to guess the older intel integrated GPUs just unable to keep up with metal. Sometimes older OSes feel faster simply because they used older and simpler frameworks.

Remember Vista? People were complaining how it was slower compared to XP. Similar thing imo, that older hardware were caught offguard with the sudden heavier requirements due to changing in frameworks.

With Apple going fully intel integrated in most of their macs, it's an unfortunate situation.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I mean use what works for you. Sure Windows has bugs/issues but I am running Windows 11 and even it's certainly not 'full of issues' that I am seeing. On other threads in the main forums, there are plenty of people with lots of issues with macOS. Swings and roundabouts.

Said it before, when you consider the number of macOS devices out there it is statistically more likely that even on this forum there are as many if not more using Windows in conjunction with an Apple device, probably iPhone and/or iPad.

Still prefer the UI and the benefits of macOS being more Unix/Linux in terms of how it works. But Windows has come a very long way in a short time to the point, for me at least, I am finding I can do everything I want on either with equal ease.

Reactions: PC_tech and Mendota

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The system I use shows it's ugly face. Easy as that. And Windows 10 is FULL of bugs that drive me crazy on a daily basis. Just as MacOS did before I switched, though I think they weren't as annoying.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, I have no interest in the Mac news app, but there it is. I don't use imessage either, nor Apple music. I could go on and on. The days when you could just get a basic operating system and choose only what you want are long gone. I also have no interest in Apple TV or games arcade.
At least Microsoft has this option behind a very expensive paywall called Windows Server. I used to use it, and customising it was super fun. Too bad software license on Windows Server was like 20x to 100x more expensive than on Windows 7/8 so I eventually quit.

Apple? No such option at all and most advanced settings are hidden behind terminal commands (displaying hidden system files where are you?). Don’t want to see Mac App Store? Nope. Best you can do is hiding an icon. Most system apps are so intertwined inside the macOS it will break tons of stuff by trying to remove them.

Reactions: Mendota

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
Ah, it’s the annual MacOS/Windows is awesome/sucks post. The only things different from 10 years ago are the OS names. Everything else is pretty much the same.

I think there’s a similar post on the iPhone forum comparing iPhone to Android and vice-versa.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’m using a Windows laptop to use iTunes despite me having a mac that can run Mojave. Why? Because Apple believes downloading App Store apps to install locally is OBSOLETE (which kind of is I admit) and decide to just remove it. Yes. I could use third party apps but they could’ve just leave it alone until they switch to Big Sur, in which case removing them makes sense. Best of all, thankfully, is Apple Mobile device driver back in 2014 still support latest M1 iPad Pro and I can sync stuff just fine. I can even Frankenstein a newer version of the driver so it works better for longer.

Simply because of this, I would always keep a Windows device around thanks to their ability to tinker a lot. It’s like a great in-between OS that offers some freedom. It’s not as fragmented as Linux that offers max freedom, but it is not as closed as macOS which now can literally only be installed on Mac. And btw, iOS app local install saved me about 40GB of data just last week. It’s amazing.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I'm going to guess the older intel integrated GPUs just unable to keep up with metal. Sometimes older OSes feel faster simply because they used older and simpler frameworks.

Remember Vista? People were complaining how it was slower compared to XP. Similar thing imo, that older hardware were caught offguard with the sudden heavier requirements due to changing in frameworks.

With Apple going fully intel integrated in most of their macs, it's an unfortunate situation.
When I was using MacBook without the metal support it was just as bad as the newer devices with metal support. The very same thing was happening with iOS since iOS 7 on all devices whether it had metal or not. I still can't understand how company like Apple could made a brand new iPhone at that time completely stuttery when using in landscape mode. What's the explanation of it other than it was badly done work. And even my Mac mini with the latest and greatest M1 chip is not perfectly smooth on 4K display. This is travesty.

ScWasHere

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
There are things about Apple that really bug me, like dumping Aperture a few years ago when it was arguably the best UI of any image optimization program. All they had to do was keep it current and develop an easy plug in interface for third party software.
However, the Mac OS experience is by and large, enjoyable. I find myself using my computer even when I have no particular goal or objective, because of that.
Windows however, I am forced to use at my business, and it makes me annoyed an even angry to use within a short time of using it. So, warts and all, Mac OS is a nicer system for me.

Reactions: grmlin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
dumping Aperture a few years ago
Yeah that hurt, and when it was released they beat out Lightroom If they kept improving the application they could have gone toe to toe with Adobe

Because Apple believes downloading App Store apps to install locally is OBSOLETE
I would venture that they're looking to entice people to use (read: Pay for) services and by removing iTunes, you basically push people to get iCloud storage and iMusic

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
But a huge chunk of Windows users use it as their main, and only OS. Approximately 90% of computer users worldwide infact.
That 90% is mostly businesses. I don't know ANY business running macOS, but I know A LOT of people around me using mac laptops or Chromebooks or just don't have computers and use their phone.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It's time for MacOS - and I'd argue iOS - to take a year out from implementing new major features (excluding those that are supporting new hardware) and really just double down on fixing what they have - bugs, security, re-writing older sub-systems in the more memory safe Swift and any UI weirdness/clean-ups.

I've not used the Win11 beta, but I hope that they'll finally clean up all of the Windows 7/XP/Vista dialogs and UI that 10 still has and not leave the 11 era UI make-over skin-deep. Yeah right :rolleyes:

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
It's time for MacOS - and I'd argue iOS - to take a year out from implementing new major features (excluding those that are supporting new hardware) and really just double down on fixing what they have - bugs, security, re-writing older sub-systems in the more memory safe Swift and any UI weirdness/clean-ups.

I've not used the Win11 beta, but I hope that they'll finally clean up all of the Windows 7/XP/Vista dialogs and UI that 10 still has and not leave the 11 era UI make-over skin-deep. Yeah right :rolleyes:
I expect the next layer of paint on top of the ones originating from Windows 95/2000, XP, 8 and 10.

Reactions: bluecoast

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Not just Apple here. I agree with you but I also think Microsoft, Adobe, Google and more needs to do the same.

Reactions: bluecoast

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Maybe you don't like the subject of this thread, but you are free to not participate in it.

The subject of the thread doesn't bother me (in fact, I don't disagree), but some threads are created for the purpose of discussion, while some are not. As @Aggedor said, it's telling that the OP isn't back and if you look at his posting history, not at all surprising.

But you're right, participating in the thread is exactly the incorrect response. Carry on. :)

Reactions: Aggedor

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would venture that they're looking to entice people to use (read: Pay for) services and by removing iTunes, you basically push people to get iCloud storage and iMusic
I’m kind of tied to iCloud storage because of backup, but I surely won’t use Apple Music even if Apple removes local music library feature (not “download for offline listening, but load music files purchased elsewhere) of the stock music app. But, me is such a minority apple wouldn’t care anyways.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Notice how the original poster created this thread and is now nowhere to be seen :)
Oh yeah. In some forums, such behaviour is bannable, and people refers to it as “hit and go”, or “inciting arguments and attracting hostile discussion”. Don’t think macrumors has these rules.

Reactions: Aggedor and dmr727

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Microsoft reported earnings of $60 billion. Not too shabby. Apple reports today as well - I think that they report at 5 PM Eastern. Microsoft is down about $5 after-hours.

Toine Hekman

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
Today I had the ‘privilige’ to do some troubleshooting on my wife’s PC, from the technical viewpoint Windows is an absolute mess, so don’t be fooled even when Windows 11 will finally seem to have a somewhat decent looking user interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.