Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
@neonpeachie Are you sure you don't have it? This widget was pre-shipped with every System X. If you're on 10.7, launch Dashboard either as a space or an overlay, click +, and make sure the Widgets Manager widget lists the Translation widget. Likewise, on 10.8 and later, launch Dashboard and enter its name in the widget search.

In any case, widget files are found in the /Library/Widgets/ directory.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Hot off the presses! I fixed the Translation widget!

You MUST make an account at https://www.deepl.com/pro-api?cta=header-pro-api/ and add your API key inside of the quotes at the top of translationParser.js! (Right click the .wdgt → Show Package Contents).

Tested on OS X 10.9. Curious to know OS compatibility. Let me know if you run into any issues, I only just finished and it needs some good testing!

Deepl's translation quality is scary good—much better than Google Translate—you should get very good results out of the widget!
DeepL requires my credit card to prevent abuse of the API, which is a non-starter for me and makes me feel uneasy because of disclosing my bank info to a random Internet entity I'm not affiliated or familiar with. Are there other alternatives?

neonpeachie

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2023
@neonpeachie Are you sure you don't have it? This widget was pre-shipped with every System X. If you're on 10.7, launch Dashboard either as a space or an overlay, click +, and make sure the Widgets Manager widget lists the Translation widget. Likewise, on 10.8 and later, launch Dashboard and enter its name in the widget search.

In any case, widget files are found in the /Library/Widgets/ directory.
I did not have the translation widget on 10.14.6 which is what I am using. I was able to get the translation widget off an old mac running 10.6 and copied that into widgets folder. So now I have the translation widget on my dashboard, but it doesn't do any translating even though I made a deepl account and followed the instructions in readme.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
DeepL requires my credit card to prevent abuse of the API, which is a non-starter for me and makes me feel uneasy because of disclosing my bank info to a random Internet entity I'm not affiliated or familiar with. Are there other alternatives?
That's totally your call to make! Other APIs for translation of course exist, but I am not planning to make/test a version for a different API. The quality of DeepL's translations is without parallel.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
You could probably use privacy.com (or some banks have their own equivalent of burnable CC number), or a visa gift card? Or dashboard used to have webclip extension, it's theoretically possible I guess to create something similar by mangling chromium source a bit, but that'd be much more work.

Or if you really want it's probably not that hard to make it use google translate API instead, if you feel more comfortable handing things over to google.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Maybe we can use the same currency data source that gnu units uses, which should be more reliable? https://www.gnu.org/software/units/manual/html_node/Currency.html

Reliable free sources of currency exchange rates have been annoyingly ephemeral. The program currently supports several sources:
😠

Thanks though, I'll take a look at FloatRates at some point. I'm officially a full-time elementary school teacher now which is taking up a lot of time. And, separately, I'm trying to finish creating making a Mavericks-compatible ChatGPT app.

Reactions: maverick28

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Hello. The Unit Converter widget has been updated with a new API for exchange rates. Please redownload from the link in the first post.

---

The new API purports to have been around for ten years without requiring an API key. Presumably this is a good indication that it will still be around for another ten years, and I will not have to touch this again. It also supports fetching data over plain HTTP, so no workarounds/proxies are required on old operating systems.

(Consider this your warning that the widget now fetches exchange rate data over unencrypted HTTP, in case you consider that a major security issue for some reason. :rolleyes:)

The only thing I don't love about this API is that it actually supports too many currencies, resulting in a very long dropdown list! I could probably add code to filter out certain currencies, but I'm not sure which ones to include, and I don't particularly want to be the arbiter of this. (I don't suppose anyone has a list of which currencies Apple's widget originally supported? Interestingly, Apple's ConverterPlugin binary, which translates three-letter currency codes into their actual names, seems to support everything currently in the API, so maybe the widget was like this originally...)

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I have released a tiny update to fix the attribution link on the back of the widget, so it points to the current API. All other functionality is unchanged. Feel free to redownload from the first post if you are a perfectionist about these things, as I am.

Reactions: Lasthenia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.