Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broly

Suspended
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
Oh, you don't need to do any of the certificate stuff anymore, and it wouldn't have been necessary on High Sierra anyway, that's too new! You should go ahead and delete it from keychain access so it won't mess up anything.

Try deleting Library/Preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.unitconverter.plist, then restart your computer, and see if the widget updates.

i tried Lasthenia's recommendations and it still did not work.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019

Huh, when I do that, all of these cryptocurrencies appear in the dropdown. The reason I specify the central bank is as a way to say, "I only want currencies from the central bank."

I'm surprised it still works after you change the base to GBP too. The widget expects everything to be USD-based, so if you change that, you should logically end up with the wrong conversion numbers.

I can't figure out in general why there are so many problems with this one. It has consistently worked for me, and I actually changed very little code.

Last edited:

broly

Suspended
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
Huh, when I do that, all of these cryptocurrencies appear in the dropdown. The reason I specify the central bank is as a way to say, "I only want currencies from the central bank."

I'm surprised it still works after you change the base to GBP too. The widget expects everything to be USD-based, so if you change that, you should logically end up with the wrong conversion numbers.

I can't figure out in general why there are so many problems with this one. It has consistently worked for me, and I actually changed very little code in general.

i have no idea. i just changed the link to the one stated above and it worked.

but then it stopped updating on 22 august (i only noticed now since i had no reason to check), and i changed it to http://api-v1.exchangerate.host/latest?base=GBP?source=boe and now it's updating again.

the updating issue must be something to do with how many times the widget calls the API. maybe the widget stops trying the API link after a while (for some reason).

changing the link seems to allow it to update though. or at least update the date it says it updated.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
It's not just the stocks widget. :( Flight Tracker, Ski Report, and Translation are also broken. Movies and ESPN still work, but I have to assume they're on borrowed time. (And they're not particularly useful in COVID world.)

I just don't have time to fix all of them—I started working on the Weather widget in February, that's six months ago! I haven't been working on it anywhere near continuously of course, but still, it's a lot of work. I did fix the Unit Converter just because it was super easy; cleaning that up for a proper release is next on the to-do list.
Your hard work is appreciated. Thank you.

kkrabat

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Denmark

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

IF I may offer you one suggestion, then write this in the top of the first post:

As of today [date] the WeatherWidget works. Download it here and follow the instructions.

If you wish to read through the process of how it came to work again, or read about modifications to the currency widget, read the following pages.

On principle I always read to get wiser, but here it may not be necessary for he or she, who just want the weather widget to work.

--
I have included a screenshot of the widget working alongside the "wetter" widget, which I like for windy reasons (but otherwise not - for instance it's a day behind!), but what I like the MOST is your stubborn, stubborn dedication!

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 12.50.41.jpg

I tip my hat to you, Sir, and would in a monetary currency, if you gave the option. Hereby suggested.

Hours spent in this world know only a few currencies: Money, Respect, Function or My Time Returned.

Again, thank you for your dedication.

kkrabat

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Denmark
well, one day later it stopped updating. I tried the cmd-R, but no.
Maybe it has to do with the API, but I am not competent to find faults here.

Or maybe it was caused by me clicking the old weather widget, which was still in the widget window - "just to see what would happen"?
I have since deleted all preferences to do with the "weather" widget, logged out, but to no effect.

Anybody?

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Did both.
Endlessly validating.

View attachment 948804

I have it working in Lion, Mavericks and Mojave. Are you sure you inserted APIs correctly (in right places) and just those that are needed? The installation and code injection for macOS below and above OS X 10.9 differ. Your issue looks similar to the one I was having in Lion when I was creating my worker with Cloudflare service for remapping HTTPS to HTTP, and the code had a typing error (introduced unintentionally in the process of coding) which was a missing whitespace between variables storing these URL schemes. The result was "Validating..." forever until the syntax was corrected. If you run 10.9 and newer you don't have to create a worker with Cloudflare (if you did).

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
well, one day later it stopped updating.

The fact that it worked at first is odd. Did you put in your own API key or did you use the one built into the widget?

Edit: Oh, I can replicate! It's not just you! If you already have a location set, everything works, but if you try to set a new one it gets stuck on "Validating..."

Something has changed on HERE's end, because I certainly didn't do anything.

I'm going to hope this goes away on its own in the next few days, which it might. Otherwise I'll find out what's the matter.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
^ It looks like the aforementioned "Validating" issue is gone as of this morning. So, it was just a temporary blip with HERE's API, nothing to worry about!

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Days start the next day (now Sun, the Widget shows the next week from Mon).

Thanks! This isn't happening on my end, though, and I'm quite sure this isn't caused by yesterday's update, since I only adjusted the moon code!

All of this data comes from HERE now (which is to say, the widget itself isn't doing any timezone or day of the week calculations), so unless this keeps happening, I'm just going to assume HERE isn't showing the current day for some reason, in your location.

If the data is actually inaccurate—as in, if it looks like it's showing the weather for Sunday under the label "Monday"—let me know, because I'd consider that a much more serious problem which I can't ignore! (I don't know why that would be happening, but you never know.)

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
The thing is, I don't know what weather is accurate in my region. I only can compare with the stock OS X (Mojave's) widget which shows exact same numbers of degrees. I installed the previous version - and it appears it also shows the weather starting the next day, i.e. Mon in this case. Looks like HERE APIs is the culprit.

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
Hi everyone! I just discovered this amazing thread (via another thread). Just wondering if there is still a way to download the fixed weather widget? I went to Jonathan's website and it's 404 :( thanks!

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
What the heck, so now they give you 250 requests per month for free? This is nuts, currency rates are released by governmental institutions for free and it's not like returning a json response that updates once a day constitutes some huge server load.

I'll... replace this with something.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Okay, try redownloading. I switched us back to exchangerate.host, but in a way which will maybe work better than last time. Feel free to report back issues, I only tested on my own computer. (And feel free to donate to exchangerate.host for not selling out to corporate overlords!)

Because I updated the Cloudflare side too, the previous widget may appear to fix itself, but redownloading will avoid "undefined" entries appearing in the currency dropdown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lasthenia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.