Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Any errors in the console?

Couldn't find any errors for the Unit Conversion Widget but there is one for the Weather Widget:

CONSOLE ERROR SyntaxError: JSON Parse error: Unexpected EOF

I did register for a HERE account and used it in the Weather Widget which is working GREAT! Thank you.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Couldn't find any errors for the Unit Conversion Widget but there is one for the Weather Widget:

CONSOLE ERROR SyntaxError: JSON Parse error: Unexpected EOF

I did register for a HERE account and used it in the Weather Widget which is working GREAT! Thank you.

Thanks, the JSON Parse error can be ignored as long as the widget is working fine (although I'm a little surprised you're seeing it in the latest version—it happened as matter of course with Weatherbit due to their service being kind of crap).

I'm not sure how what to do about the currency converter though since I can't replicate it...

Reactions: Lasthenia

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Thanks, the JSON Parse error can be ignored as long as the widget is working fine (although I'm a little surprised you're seeing it in the latest version—it happened as matter of course with Weatherbit due to their service being kind of crap).

I'm not sure how what to do about the currency converter though since I can't replicate it...

Tried deleting, reinstalling the widget and rebooting several times and now it appears to be working again!

"Last Updated" date now shows 01/08/2020.

I apologise for my mistake, I realised now that rebooting my Mac Pro after re-installing the widget made the difference. Don't see the JSON Parse error any more either.

Thank you very much again!

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Tried deleting, reinstalling the widget and rebooting several times and now it appears to be working again!

"Last Updated" date now shows 01/08/2020.

I apologise for my mistake, I realised now that rebooting my Mac Pro after re-installing the widget made the difference. Don't see the JSON Parse error any more either.

Thank you very much again!

Instead of rebooting you could just either refresh the widget with the ⌘-R shortcut (hovering the cursor over it) or issue the killall Dock command in Terminal.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Instead of rebooting you could just either refresh the widget with the ⌘-R shortcut (hovering the cursor over it) or issue the killall Dock command in Terminal.

Actually, it seems like this doesn’t work for some users (for certain problems), I don’t know why. The OS is caching something...

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Actually, it seems like this doesn’t work for some users (for certain problems), I don’t know why. The OS is caching something...

It's getting weird for me. I can't get the Unit Conversion Widget to update the currency exchange values UNLESS I reboot. The "Last Updated" date only changes upon a reboot. Happened for a few days already. I suspect the "killall" Terminal command would work too. Have deleted preferences, re-download, re-installed, command-R, etc. No errors in Console either. Oh well...

Update: Widget finally updated today using command-R!!!

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Ugh, I found a how-the-heck-did-I-miss-that level bug in the weather widget that would prevent "wind" or "fog" from appearing correctly. :(

Please update to the latest version via the link in the first post!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Ugh, I found a how-the-heck-did-I-miss-that level bug in the weather widget that would prevent "wind" or "fog" from appearing correctly. :(

Please update to the latest version via the link in the first post!

I like your site's design: so simple and with a light touch of retro. Also, thank you for the linen background in the main picture with the widget's graphics. For a fan of the old look as I am, it's a delight.

Reactions: !!!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
OS X Mavericks

The instructions in ReadMe file didn't mention which button exactly you need to click: it's only not before that one of them expands into a section with the "Create API" button. It displays 2 options at first: "Create App for Javascript" and "Create App for REST". Which one is required?

UPDATE. Javascript was needed. But here's another issue I haven't face before: when I hit "Done" on the reverse side it's stuck and refuses to flip over.

UPDATE2. Don't mind, had to hit Enter once more, now works as expected.

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
In Lion it's stuck on validating my location. I put HERE's API and cloudflare's worker's code in weatherParser.js. In the latter case, that URL begins with https not http. Is it correct?

cloudflare worker threw an exception, error 1101.
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 21.32.14.png

The onboard console reports an error in the line 2 of the JS code.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 21.48.14.png

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
@maverick28 A couple things:

1. You don't need to set up a proxyURL on 10.9, that's only for 10.8 and below. You can leave that blank (leave the empty quotes).
  2. When you do add a proxyURL, you need to change it to start with http:// instead of https://.
I double checked, and I did put this in the readme—is there a way I can make it more obvious? I'll definitely add a note that it should be a "Javascript Worker" that was an oversight!

If you're still having trouble on Lion, try removing both the API key and the proxyURL and see if it works. This will cause it to use the shared API key, but it's a good test.

Also, just to be absolutely safe, I recommend removing that screenshot from within Cloudflare or blocking out the worker URL.

P.S. Thanks for the nice comments on my website, I spent a lot of time on it!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
@maverick28 A couple things:

1. You don't need to set up a proxyURL on 10.9, that's only for 10.8 and below. You can leave that blank (leave the empty quotes).
  2. When you do add a proxyURL, you need to change it to start with http:// instead of https://.
I double checked, and I did put this in the readme—is there a way I can make it more obvious? I'll definitely add a note that it should be a "Javascript Worker" that was an oversight!

If you're still having trouble on Lion, try removing both the API key and the proxyURL and see if it works. This will cause it to use the shared API key, but it's a good test.

Also, just to be absolutely safe, I recommend removing that screenshot from within Cloudflare or blocking out the worker URL.

P.S. Thanks for the nice comments on my website, I spent a lot of time on it!

I know I don't need that rerouting on Mavericks, my previous post was related to Lion. I changed to non-secure HTTP, and the screenshots were error reports when loading the widget in Lion.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I know I don't need on Mavericks, my last post related to Lion. I changed to non-secure HTTP

Oh, okay, I was confused because here, you wrote "OS X Mavericks" and then talked about issues setting up Cloudflare. Did switching to http fix the problem on Lion? What about removing both the proxyURL and API key as a test?

and the screenshots were error reports when loading the widget in Lion.

Right, it's just that one of the screenshots also contains the Cloudflare URL, there's probably not a huge risk but it would be best not to share that. :)

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Your recommendation to remove the API and Proxy hit the bull's-eye. It shows the weather but obviously since in 10.9 and newer required the method with API, here I'll hit the wall pretty quickly.

And testing the Cloudflare worker returns the "Internal server error" message accompanied by the console output I provided above.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
And testing the Cloudflare worker returns the "Internal server error" message accompanied by the console output I provided above.
Oh, I should mention—that's expected if you run it from within Cloudflare. There's an error because it wasn't supplied with a URL by the widget.

Your recommendation to remove the API and Proxy hit the bull's-eye. It shows the weather but obviously since in 10.9 and newer required the method with API, here I'll hit the wall pretty quickly.

Okay, thanks for testing, so the widget does work in Lion, we just need to figure out Cloudflare. I'm going to shoot you a PM...

broly

Suspended
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
It's getting weird for me. I can't get the Unit Conversion Widget to update the currency exchange values UNLESS I reboot. The "Last Updated" date only changes upon a reboot. Happened for a few days already. I suspect the "killall" Terminal command would work too. Have deleted preferences, re-download, re-installed, command-R, etc. No errors in Console either. Oh well...

Update: Widget finally updated today using command-R!!!

i tried the command-r, and it still doesn't update. mine is stuck on 4 aug 2020.

did not have issues before. i have restarted a few times after this date. i only noticed the frozen date today.

anything i can do to help? not too familiar on how to debug widgets so you're gonna have to tell me what you need me to run.

this seems like an API issue where it's refusing to update due to some sort of expired token or something liek that

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
i tried the command-r, and it still doesn't update. mine is stuck on 4 aug 2020.

did not have issues before. i have restarted a few times after this date. i only noticed the frozen date today.

anything i can do to help? not too familiar on how to debug widgets so you're gonna have to tell me what you need me to run.

this seems like an API issue where it's refusing to update due to some sort of expired token or something liek that

Your experience is exactly what happened to me. It's updating fine for me now. Let me tell you what worked for me:

1. In Dashboard, click on the "-" sign at the lower left corner to close the widget.
2. Look inside the Library folder in your Home folder.
3. Open the Preferences folder and delete "widget-com.apple.widget.unitconverter.plist"
4. Find the widget file and delete it. Replace with fresh download.
5. Reboot.
6. In Dashboard, click on the "+" sign at the lower left corner to launch the widget.
7. It should update to the present date now.
8. Subsequent daily updates should work using "command-R".

Good luck!

broly

Suspended
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton
am i blind or is the link for the unit converter widget now taken down? sorry maybe it's been a long day and i missed it..

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019

dMajor

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I said I would be interested in fixing this one, and now I did! :)

Consider this a beta release—if it works for all I'll eventually add it to the main download on the first page.

No API key needed for this one thanks to the wonderful folks running exchangeratesapi.io! However, a different sort of setup is needed if you are running an old version of OS X. (How old is old, I'm not sure--it was needed on 10.9 Mavericks. Try it on your version and let me know whether it works out of the box.)

The bad news for old OS X users is that exchangeratesapi forces you to use https. The good news is they support TLS 1.0/1.1, so it should work everywhere (except maybe Tiger). The bad news again is they seem to be using a certificate that isn't present in old versions of OS X. The good news again is you can add the certificate to Keychain Access yourself! Instructions are for Firefox, but the process with other browsers should be similar:

1. Go to https://api.exchangeratesapi.io/ in your web browser.
2. If you're using Firefox, click the lock (?) icon in the menu bar, then click the arrow (>) next to "Connection Secure", and hit "More Information".
3. Select the "Security" tab, and then "View Certificate"
4. Scroll down to "Download" and hit the link for "PEM (chain)"
5. Double click the downloaded exchangeratesapi-io-chain.pem file to add it to Keychain Access.
6. Find the new "exchangeratesapi.io" certificate in Keychain Access, and double click it to open the Inspector Pain.
7. Expand the "Trust" menu, and set "Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)" to "Always Trust". Close the window, and enter your password when prompted.

I know that seems like a lot of steps, but it's really quite simple—you're just clicking on a bunch of things. And, it's only for older versions of OS X.

Followed all steps carefully. Doesn't seemed to have worked. 2012 MacBook 9,2 on High Sierra. Do I need to Restart for this thing to work perhaps? I really want my currency converter back...

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Followed all steps carefully. Doesn't seemed to have worked. 2012 MacBook 9,2 on High Sierra. Do I need to Restart for this thing to work perhaps? I really want my currency converter back...
Oh, you don't need to do any of the certificate stuff anymore, and it wouldn't have been necessary on High Sierra anyway, that's too new! You should go ahead and delete it from keychain access so it won't mess up anything.

Try deleting Library/Preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.unitconverter.plist, then restart your computer, and see if the widget updates.

dMajor

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Oh, you don't need to do any of the certificate stuff anymore, and it wouldn't have been necessary on High Sierra anyway, that's too new! You should go ahead and delete it from keychain access so it won't mess up anything.

Try deleting Library/Preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.unitconverter.plist, then restart your computer, and see if the widget updates.
I just downloaded the other converter seems to do the trick. Went back and deleted that certificate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.