Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Like many others on here I had the problem of always losing wifi.

All I did to fix it was put a WPA password on it and unplugged it and plugged it back in. If your router doesnt have a password set on it or your using another security other than WPA I suggest you give it a try.

It never worked in my bedroom. Now after doing this I have full signal. Just a suggestion to people thinking it may not work and haven't tried this out yet.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If it's still doesn't fix your problem, make sure your ipad has no zero brightness setting.

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
I was one of the stubborn ones and didnt want to mess with my router figuring it wouldnt work and I would just wait for a software update. I got sick of losing it all the time and bam it worked perfect.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
My iPad has been working brilliantly wirelessly, I use WPA2 encryption on an Apple Airport Extreme with a dynamic ip address - no issues. I did notice a couple of times the signal strength icon showed less bars, but I suspect this is a software bug.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
My iPad has been working brilliantly wirelessly, I use WPA2 encryption on an Apple Airport Extreme with a dynamic ip address - no issues. I did notice a couple of times the signal strength icon showed less bars, but I suspect this is a software bug.

I notice my signal bars flicker on and off sometimes. Its so fast I just see it out of the corner of my eye. Weird thing is, I never loose connection!?
Not sure whats going on.. I guess its not really a big deal. :)
\Other than that, not one wifi issue what so ever.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have an Airport Extreme as well, and works perfect with the iPad in the 5GHz band, no dropouts, just the occasional signal strength loss.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I notice my signal bars flicker on and off sometimes. Its so fast I just see it out of the corner of my eye. Weird thing is, I never loose connection!?
Not sure whats going on.. I guess its not really a big deal. :)
\Other than that, not one wifi issue what so ever.

Mine does that, too. Just flicks on and off every couple of minutes. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but there ARE glitches in the iPad's wifi, no matter what anyone says.

cbster

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Orange County
Mine does that, too. Just flicks on and off every couple of minutes. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but there ARE glitches in the iPad's wifi, no matter what anyone says.

Add me to the list of flickering. The wifi never loses connection, but the flickering is a little annoying.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

Glad to hear someone else is experiencing the same! I thought I was the only one.
As you said, It doesnt seem to affect anything but something is definitely happening.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I believe that variations in e number of wifi bars is simply the ipad's way of managing its battery. Has no effect on actual speed whatsoever and it is nothi ngto worry about -- the bars seem to fluctuate depending on demand being placed on it.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
I believe that variations in e number of wifi bars is simply the ipad's way of managing its battery. Has no effect on actual speed whatsoever and it is nothi ngto worry about -- the bars seem to fluctuate depending on demand being placed on it.

Not so for me...as the signal bars go down I sometimes will get a connection that seems to hang until it comes back up. I've had to install a airport express to fix these issues with the connectivity downstairs and might have to install another one upstairs in the bedroom to fix the connection issues when in there.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
All I did to fix it was put a WPA password on it and unplugged it and plugged it back in. If your router doesnt have a password set on it or your using another security other than WPA I suggest you give it a try.

It's unclear to me if you meant enter the WPA (1 or 2?) into the iPAD or ROUTER and then unplug/plug it in.

I bought a simultaneous dual band Airport Extreme (which I may return) to try and resolve the disconnects/stalls and weak signal issues I'd been having, but alas, even if temporarily improved they eventually continue. I've tried numerous configurations. WPA 2 seems to work okay but I'm most annoyed by the weak signal two rooms away in the bedroom. "G" also seems to be the most stable signal, but I'd like to be able to use "N" wireless speeds since that should be an advantage of both the iPad and the Airport. If you could clarify your specific resolution/configuration it would be much appreciated. I'd like to avoid exchanging my unit and chancing getting a refurb iPad rather than a new one.

Thanks!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's unclear to me if you meant enter the WPA (1 or 2?) into the iPAD or ROUTER and then unplug/plug it in.

I bought a simultaneous dual band Airport Extreme (which I may return) to try and resolve the disconnects/stalls and weak signal issues I'd been having, but alas, even if temporarily improved they eventually continue. I've tried numerous configurations. WPA 2 seems to work okay but I'm most annoyed by the weak signal two rooms away in the bedroom. "G" also seems to be the most stable signal, but I'd like to be able to use "N" wireless speeds since that should be an advantage of both the iPad and the Airport. If you could clarify your specific resolution/configuration it would be much appreciated. I'd like to avoid exchanging my unit and chancing getting a refurb iPad rather than a new one.

Thanks!

In my experience, N is completely unstable at further distances. If I were you I'd either return the iPad or, for the time being at least until Apple hopefully fixes it, - use G mode. It's what I have to use, and it's only around 90% flawless. Every so often the signal will completely drop, and I'll get the dreaded "Connecting" box. Speed wise and stability wise the G 2.4Ghz mode is FAR superior to N 5Ghz when further away from the router (in my case, dual-band second-gen Time Capsule).

I can't believe Apple have waited this long to fix this crap.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
In my experience, N is completely unstable at further distances. If I were you I'd either return the iPad or, for the time being at least until Apple hopefully fixes it, - use G mode. It's what I have to use, and it's only around 90% flawless. Every so often the signal will completely drop, and I'll get the dreaded "Connecting" box. Speed wise and stability wise the G 2.4Ghz mode is FAR superior to N 5Ghz when further away from the router (in my case, dual-band second-gen Time Capsule).

I can't believe Apple have waited this long to fix this crap.

Hey, William. Actually, i know this to be true as well since I touched on it in your other thread regarding N vs G. However, I live in a one bedroom apartment and the bedroom is literally 30 ft from the router. I was having some success once I divided the Airport into N 5GHz and N 2.4GHz and using the latter when in the bedroom. Some improvement, and that way I was still using N wireless, but that was temporary as well. So I tried raising the airport to desktop level and even bridging it to my Belkin N router and that didn't help much either.

*Sigh* I'm as frustrated as many with weak wifi, but I'm putting off exchanging until they either put out the long overdue "fix" and if that doesn't work waiting to find out if the replacement iPads are actually NEW and not refurbs that someone else had issues with. I thought for sure they'd have released a firmware update come the international release, but here we are spending more time on forums searching out various fixes/work-arounds to no avail. Do you know anything regarding the replacement iPads?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey, William. Actually, i know this to be true as well since I touched on it in your other thread regarding N vs G. However, I live in a one bedroom apartment and the bedroom is literally 30 ft from the router. I really I was having some more success once I divided the Airport into N 5GHz and N 2.4GHz and using the latter when in the bedroom. Some improvement, and that way I was still using N wireless, but that was temporary as well. So I tried raising the airport to desktop level and even bridging it to my Belkin N router and that didn't help much either.

*Sigh* I'm as frustrated as many with weak wifi, but I'm putting off exchanging until they either put out the long overdue "fix" and if that doesn't work waiting to find out if the replacement iPads are actually NEW and not refurbs that someone else had issues with. I thought for sure they'd have released a firmware update come the international release, but here we are spending more time on forums searching out various fixes/work-arounds to no avail. Do you know anything regarding the replacement iPads?

As far as I'm aware there's no benefit to getting a replacement iPad. You could always insist on a new replacement if you feel the need, but I don't think you'll experience any difference when you do. Does seem crazy that 30ft away you're having troubles... But every place is different. My aunt back in London is having trouble with her newly-purchased iPad. She has a house in St. John's Wood and the walls are pretty thick there (as they tend to be anywhere but in America, it seems!). Connected to her D-Link 2640R, she gets absolutely no signal on her iPad two rooms away. Just... ridiculous...

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
That's awesome. :rolleyes:
Haha. Yeah, as good as it is to know some people are problem free, it's still kind of a slap in the face to those of us struggling to enjoy our 'pads. If only we could ignore the unstable internet connection on a wifi-centric device. ;)

Instead of users posting "no isssues at all" it would be a better contribution if they detailed their router setup, wireless mode, range, speeds, etc.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Haha. Yeah, as good as it is to know some people are problem free, it's still kind of a slap in the face to those of us struggling to enjoy our 'pads. If only we could ignore the unstable internet connection on a wifi-centric device. ;)

Instead of users posting "no isssues at all" it would be a better contribution if they detailed their router setup, wireless mode, range, speeds, etc.

Right. Exactly.

I'm using a VERY normal config. Time Capsule, running with WPA2. No other devices have issues. Just the iPad. Imagine that!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
we have 3 ipads, all wifi only.

mine has no issue, but my wife and my dad's ipads have issues. when they sleep the ipads for couple of minutes and then turn it back on, the wifi signals are off. i fixed it by having a brightness set not the lowest. if it's zero brightness, the wifi will get no signal after sleeping the devices. mine has no issue even the brightness setting is lowest.

this is weird but works.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
there are obviously lots of different WiFi issues. my iPad has no issues coming out of sleep, it sees full signal and it never disconnects to the extent that it asks for the password to reconnect. what it does do is just stop being able to download data in the middle of browsing, AppStore etc. Sometimes it does this 2 or 3 times in 5 minutes.

router is Linksys 350, WPA2, both static and DHCP addresses tried.

- Julian

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Based on what I have read so far the wifi signal indicator variations are due to a firmware / software bug and not directly related to hardware itself as the connection doesn't drop or slow down. The great feature of the iPad is it supports all 4 wifi bands - a/b/g/n

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.