Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I understand- just recognize what you are up against with new Apple vs. the one that existed when you bought that prior, intel-based Mac.
And THEN you pay for the computer and the rest. Unlike with your prior purchase, there is NO competition options for RAM or internal SSD with Apple, so you have to buy only from Apple and pay whatever price they demand... and Apple takes full advantage of that lock vs. what 64GB and 4TB would cost if you WERE a PC buyer. Shareholders rejoice!!! 💰💰💰

Even refurb Macs from the 2+-year-old M1 generation configured like that are going to start over $3K. Meanwhile for ONLY that $1200 in ONLY that 4TB upgrade from Apple, you could buy the entire PC + 4TB SSD + 64GB RAM I referenced in the prior post.

I'd much prefer Mac too but not so much that I'll just pay any amount Apple asks for my next computer purchase.

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
And if you need to travel, there is a great case for it. I have one of these

Reactions: Cape Dave

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Who knows what Apple will present this year, or the next couple of years?
So instead of buying what seems future proof, even if I might not think it is what I really want. I choose what fits my needs and wishes today, within a range that I can afford. Especially if I would have loved to have it for some time.

I see a lot of people asking, or mentioning, that they want a future proof product. While they still own a pretty good product already. So if they wish to upgrade so soon, why do they even consider the aspect of future unkowns?

Suzzzabelle on the other hand. Does not fit in that category at all. She has had her iMac for much longer than most.
So I fully understand her wish to upgrade to a new product. But what if that product hasn't been manufactured yet?
On the other hand. Having waited for such an extended time period. She might have saved, and thus can afford a more expensive product than originally planned.
That is why I have been reluctant to make any suggestion.

I do truly hope that you will find something that will give you satisfaction and pleasure. A mac that actually will last you a long time, and that you will enjoy working on, year after year

Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I love my iMac Pro. Even if it is just the basic version. So it struggles in some tasks.
That is why I have a Mac Pro 7.1. Which can do everything I need. But I still prefer to use the iMac Pro on a daily basis.
It is my dream machine
🥰

edit: I am not going to respond to posts that was written to comment on mine.
I gave my honest opinion/experience using the iMac Pro on a daily basis
I looked closely at the iMac 24" M1 in a shop, and I did not like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I love my iMac Pro. Even if it is just the basic version. So it struggles in some tasks.
That is why I have a Mac Pro 7.1. Which can do everything I need. But I still prefer to use the iMac Pro on a daily basis.
It is my dream machine
🥰
I had an iMac Pro a few years ago, and enjoyed it for ~1 year until the fan noise really killed the fun for me. My M1 iMac (now swapped to my mother-in law to get her off an old 2014 iMac) was way quieter and, in my opinion, is a far better machine overall than the iMac Pro. The screen was better. And it was definitely a lot faster than the iMac Pro.

OP, I know you pine for a big silver iMac, but unfortunately that's not happening anymore. The closest thing you can get is a studio display and Mac mini combination. Which, is a great combination as you can have future flexibility by upgrading the computer and keeping that awesome 27" display.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
And THEN you pay for the computer and the rest. Unlike with your prior purchase, there is NO competition options for RAM or internal SSD with Apple, so you have to buy only from Apple and pay whatever price they demand...
Agree on the RAM. At least the Mac Studio starts at a half-decent 32GB (probably 36GB when the M3 comes out) and buyers who think they need more should carefully check their requirements - but 64GB shouldn't be a big ticket item in 2024 and, yes, some people really do need that (and sometimes much more).

With the SSD - no defence for Apple prices, but there are good alternatives esp. on a desktop rather than a laptop where an external drive isn't a major inconvenience - keeping the system drive for system, apps, temp files and maybe active "work in progress" and using an external SSD (slower, but still pretty fast) for all of your bulky documents can actually make a lot of sense. I wish Apple would implement a nice point-and-drool "use this device for user files" control panel - I guess they'd rather sell iCloud space - but most of that can be achieved manually. As stated previously, I wouldn't pay Apple for more than 1TB internal storage on a desktop.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
It has 3 TB of storage, 64 GB of memory and a 3.5 Quad core Intel Core processor. Was VERY fast.

I MUST have at least this much storage, memory and speed in a new Mac.
If you also specifically need an all-in-one desktop, searching "all in one desktop" on Amazon with those specs turns up stuff like this Dell 2024 Inspiron 27-inch:

dell.jpg

If you don't specifically need an all-in-one desktop, you might get some better hardware looking around for other PCs (gaming PCs and laptops usually give good hardware for relatively cheap... compared to Macs, at least :p).

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Yep and I know that feeling also because Monterey was my last update. I don't miss not updating but I would like stage manager. I had to chuckle about getting a new one then Apple unveils the new 27 iMac.
The moment I cannot get security updates that relegates tech to offline work. More realistically, in my case, it means I get rid of it. I know plenty of folk who enjoy tinkering with old tech and I am not one of them… we’re both happy with my approach… ;)

I’m on an M1Max MBPro because it was the sole option on release (I briefly had an M1 Mac mini that was not up to the task). I had no inkling of a Mac Studio and an inkling that large screen iMacs were (at least temporarily) dead. The laptop replaced my 2014 5K iMac because it was beginning to choke a bit on tasks. I’ll replace it when Mac Studio offers TB5 or they release a 32” MxMax 6K iMac…

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
When they are ready to release it. Maybe June, maybe later.
I’m not holding my breath but I’m hoping they hold off in order to begin releasing high end Macs first in the autumn. An M4Ultra (likely Max but I’m more than occasionally silly) Studio with Thunderbolt 5 in October/November? Yes, please…

Suzzzabelle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2022
I understand- just recognize what you are up against with new Apple vs. the one that existed when you bought that prior, intel-based Mac.
And THEN you pay for the computer and the rest. Unlike with your prior purchase, there is NO competition options for RAM or internal SSD with Apple, so you have to buy only from Apple and pay whatever price they demand... and Apple takes full advantage of that lock vs. what 64GB and 4TB would cost if you WERE a PC buyer. Shareholders rejoice!!! 💰💰💰

Even refurb Macs from the 2+-year-old M1 generation configured like that are going to start over $3K. Meanwhile for ONLY that $1200 in ONLY that 4TB upgrade from Apple, you could buy the entire PC + 4TB SSD + 64GB RAM I referenced in the prior post.

I'd much prefer Mac too but not so much that I'll just pay any amount Apple asks for my next computer purchase.

I agree with your observation that Apple Mac is a monopoly along with the Adobe software handcuffs. There was a time that Mac users has a couple of options with software. Macromedia etc. Adobe bought them all up and became a monopoly. I'm hoping with the expose of Adobes A.I. that will change. I'd love to see them both broken up so there was more competeition. But this is a fight now for the yound=ger set along with a myriad of other issues. As far as this being my last Mac purchase: I spent $3500 for my current iMac in 2013 because when I upgrade, whatever I choose, I load it up with as much as I can with any options I know I'll use. I like fast and simple. This strategy means my Macs have lasted about 8-9 years. I have budgeted about 5k for my last Mac purchase so I am prepared. I do wish that a long time ago I had become more faimiar with graphics software on a PC, I'm sure today that would save me a lot of money. However I do not have the patience or time now to switch over. Thank you so much for your input.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The moment I cannot get security updates that relegates tech to offline work.
Realistically as long as you practice good security etiquette, there is no reason why you can’t continue to work online. If you’re that worried, there are third-party applications and tools you can use to enhance your security, but still practicing good security etiquette is the best way to protect your system.

Reactions: Regulus67

Evolving Mind

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
I would wait the 3 months until WWDC in June and see what they announce. But it's like always, the moment you buy it, it's outdated.

Storagewise, if you buy a Mac Studio you can go for external Storage Options. Thunderbolt 4 is so fast compared to your 2013 Internals and you save a lot of money and the trouble loosing this option when you replace it in the future. So you could go with lower internal storage and invest the money in a good periphery. Ram though you do not have any options but bite into the sour Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
One really nice thing about not being on a brand new device and/or the latest OS, is that things mostly just "keep working"

I know some folks really get off on the new hotness -- I used to be one of them -- but these days it seems like so much change is for the sake of change and in the process a whole bunch of new issues crop up all the time.

i.e. Check out the bugs/issues with the Sonoma releases .. and the iCloud bug being discussed on here today.

Ugh...

Computers are supposed to be tools to get things done.

Imagine if every time you got out your socket set to do something, some of them didn't work quite right anymore .. or a size you counted on was now suddenly missing.

Reactions: leifp

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I own a late 2013 iMac which I love but it’s way past being useful. It has 3 TB of storage, 64 GB of memory and a 3.5 Quad core Intel Core processor. Was VERY fast.

I MUST have at least this much storage, memory and speed in a new Mac. I don’t like using the cloud or attaching storage devices for my files.

What should I buy? 2 options please. 🙏

This is my 5th and last Mac. 👵🏻
Thank you 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏

Thank you. Thank you

Sue
So I'm slow to the uptake on this iMac thing, but I believe I have a solid theory.

Apple is NEVER coming out with a 27 inch or 32 inch or anything bigger than the 24 inch iMac. I finally realized this iMac is simply a family computer. It's not geared for the serious professional. Apple wants to move people toward the studio display and the Mac mini, Mac studio or Mac Pro. Period - end of story.

However, having said that - this iMac can still be used by professionals in my opinion. I'm a professional photographer and videographer. My business generates 6 figures of revenue annually. Up until last year I did all my editing on a 2013 27 inch iMac with very few issues. Last year I was forced to upgrade to a 2017 27 inch iMac because I needed the last OS to upgrade my Adobe suite. This 2017 does everything I need it to do - although Lightroom can get pretty slow. Slow enough that I've been looking to upgrade. This is when I started looking at new iMacs. Like many of you I thought I'd wait for the bigger screen - until it dawned on me - there's not going to be a bigger screen. In fact, Apple doesn't even give us the M3 pro or max options in the iMac - and I doubt they ever will.

But I'm certain a mid-range iMac can meet my needs so I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get one. There's just something about the "all-in-one" option I prefer over putting together a display and a Mac mini/Mac studio.

I think to your original question you need to get over the fact you don't like external storage as you will pay an ENORMOUS amount of money for 3TB's.

Just my .02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.