Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: Re: Can someone explain this

Originally posted by bousozoku
I've got one with a similar timeframe and point value. I calculated my dual 800 to take 7.7 days for it, running 24/7, as it's taking 66 minutes per frame.

To check your progress, you have to go into the work directory and check the logfile_xx.txt file where xx is the number of the WU...in your case 04. I'm currently working on a graphical monitor which will make it much simpler. Screenshots and a textual version are available in this forum.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that slow. My 1Ghz PIII does that one at 31 min/frame, and 42 min/frame for the 70 pointer. I can't tell how many min/frame my 1.8 Ghz P4 does though. It does not keep a log anymore. I don't really know why.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
It keeps deleting progress

My problem isn't that it's taking a long time. If you look in the log it says:

Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_05.dyn
[03:07:28] Starting from initial work packet

So if I kill the process and start it again I've lost all the work that was done. I just tried mc68k's setup so we'll see if that works.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: It keeps deleting progress

Originally posted by Zeke
My problem isn't that it's taking a long time. If you look in the log it says:

Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_05.dyn
[03:07:28] Starting from initial work packet

So if I kill the process and start it again I've lost all the work that was done. I just tried mc68k's setup so we'll see if that works.

It will always say starting from initial work packet prior to completing the first frame. After that, you'll see something about checkpoint and restart.

If it takes a particularly long time to complete each work unit, you might be killing the process before even one has been finished. I'm not sure how long you're waiting, but I would suggest waiting an hour or so before killing it.

You could always clean out the work folder and let the client download another protein to fold once everything else has been exhausted.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Deleting progress

Before that happened it had completed 56 frames of 400 (shown at the bottom of the log). I haven't completed the work unit yet but if it starts at the beginning doesn't that mean it's negating everything that's already been done. That had been running all day when I killed it and restarted. Thanks again.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Deleting progress

Originally posted by Zeke
Before that happened it had completed 56 frames of 400 (shown at the bottom of the log). I haven't completed the work unit yet but if it starts at the beginning doesn't that mean it's negating everything that's already been done. That had been running all day when I killed it and restarted. Thanks again.

I've heard of a few of these from time-to-time. If it were me, I'd probably be deleting things and starting over.

Please keep folding though!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jethroted
1800!!! I will stop doing this soon.... Really.

Sure, when you get to 500 posts and can upload your avatar.

Maybe a moderator should stop you now.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Sure, when you get to 500 posts and can upload your avatar.

Maybe a moderator should stop you now.

Now Now, Let's not take offense. If I could crunch that fast I would rub it in your noses too. :p Besides y'all don't know the lengths jethroted goes to for the team. . . . You should get him to tell you if he will.....

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Stelliform
Now Now, Let's not take offense. If I could crunch that fast I would rub it in your noses too. :p Besides y'all don't know the lengths jethroted goes to for the team. . . . You should get him to tell you if he will.....

I can imagine:

I borrowed my sisters friends neighbors comp for the month. :eek:

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace

Hey. That's hush hush there Stelli. No more funny talk, or I'll send some goomba's after ya! ;) It was an experimental phase of my life. I tried a couple things, but they're behind me now. People in college were doing all kinds of things at that time. I can't be held accountable for all my goings-ons.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

I'm not taking offence. We're not supposed to spam the forums.

Xerov

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2003
Nederland
Quick Question??

To use Folding on multiple computers do I just input the same info when it askes (like User name and Team number) Im number 28 with 1 CPU and looking to add more :)

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: Quick Question??

Originally posted by Xerov
To use Folding on multiple computers do I just input the same info when it askes (like User name and Team number) Im number 28 with 1 CPU and looking to add more :)

Yes, just put the same info in any computer.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yeesh, all of us with one-man-bands (a.k.a. one CPU) are eventually going to get our you-know-whats kicked by people running multiple comps!

Oh well, for me the competition sorta lost its glitter after a few months or so, now I just fold to fold, I don't really care where I rank anymore. I know I'm doing my part and that's good enough for me. :)

Competition is good, just as long as you remember what we're fighting for and that we're all on the same side. ;)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Hemingray
Yeesh, all of us with one-man-bands (a.k.a. one CPU) are eventually going to get our you-know-whats kicked by people running multiple comps!

Oh well, for me the competition sorta lost its glitter after a few months or so, now I just fold to fold, I don't really care where I rank anymore. I know I'm doing my part and that's good enough for me. :)

Competition is good, just as long as you remember what we're fighting for and that we're all on the same side. ;)

Hemingray your 56th. :p
I too am a one man folding machine. Maybe soon I can get someother comps to start folding but it might take some time.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Indeed sir. It's been quite a long time since I've seen you post. Having too much fun or have I simply not noticed?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Indeed sir. It's been quite a long time since I've seen you post. Having too much fun or have I simply not noticed?

Nah, you're right, I just haven't been posting to the forums as much. I still visit MR every day, I guess I haven't seen much to comment on. :D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Nah, you're right, I just haven't been posting to the forums as much. I still visit MR every day, I guess I haven't seen much to comment on. :D

*gasp* but there are more and more people on every day talking about everything from 'AHH MY COMP ERASED EVERYTHING' to 'BUSH IS GONNA BLOW UP THE WORLD' :D

Why not comment?

:waiting for your comment:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by MrMacman
*gasp* but there are more and more people on every day talking about everything from 'AHH MY COMP ERASED EVERYTHING' to 'BUSH IS GONNA BLOW UP THE WORLD' :D

Why not comment?

:waiting for your comment:

:D

Well, having just purchased Dantz Retrospect, I don't personally have to worry about "AHH MY COMP ERASED EVERYTHING" and I rarely feel sorry for those who do, as they seem to be caused by user error more often than not, or by using some buggy beta. :p As for the political debates, well, I'm here for the Mac Rumors. :cool:

TROGDORRRR!!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Good to see you anyway, even if you are lurking in the shadows. :D

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Re: I got 200 points!

Well I started crunching last sunday, and I'm happy to say that I helped bring in 200 points for the team this week. I got my bro to set up some cpu's at work, and he's getting some friends in on it too. Good work guys!
a little off topic
but w00t, a fellow winnipegger :D, 2nd time i seen another manitoban on macrumors

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: Re: I got 200 points!

Originally posted by SilvorX
a little off topic
but w00t, a fellow winnipegger :D, 2nd time i seen another manitoban on macrumors

Ha! I don't see that very often. What area do you live in? I'm in Osborne Village. I live in an apt. on the river!

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Re: Re: Re: I got 200 points!

Ha! I don't see that very often. What area do you live in? I'm in Osborne Village. I live in an apt. on the river!
i think ive been down there before (or near there), i live out near brandon, but i might be moving later this year
the only other macrumors member who ive seen from manitoba was from out near brandon as well, and related to some ppl i knew...strange lol

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Good to see you anyway, even if you are lurking in the shadows. :D

Thanks man! :D

Yeesh, just got out of that Gore thread... got my dose of MacRumors AND politics at the same time... just can't get away from it can I! :p

Not to continue on that topic over here, but MAN some people seriously need to think twice before they hit submit. :rolleyes:

Stupid basta... uh, erm... :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Thanks man! :D

Yeesh, just got out of that Gore thread... got my dose of MacRumors AND politics at the same time... just can't get away from it can I! :p

Not to continue on that topic over here, but MAN some people seriously need to think twice before they hit submit. :rolleyes:

Stupid basta... uh, erm... :D

Burninate them all! ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.