Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I picked up an XS Max off Facebook marketplace, the back is cracked but other than that the phone is good. My first big complaints coming from my Pixel are the notifications and I do not like the app folders and screens, I ended up deleting everything and moving it to just one screen and putting all my apps in one folder so that helped a lot. I think I will really like being able too use I message on my MacBook and iPad with it.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Nice! If you are careful enough you can replace just the black glass without doing the whole housing. Both are difficult but the housing was more expensive last I checked. Looks like they’ve gone down quite a bit now

Reactions: hamburg040

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I’m liking it so far, my only concern is the camera but for 125 I couldn’t pass it up. I’m not even worried about the back being cracked, it will be going in a case anyway

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Congratulations! I just made the switch. I bought a refurb 11 Pro Max from Apple. The battery life is amazing. Face ID is very convenient.

But like you, I find the notifications frustrating. With Android, I simply swiped down to see them. Now I click one on the lock screen, and then I can't find the rest -- for that app and the others that had notifications. So I'm missing a lot of notifications, including important ones. Friends who have switched to iPhone have the same lament.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I am not one to be brand or company loyal so if I feel I am not liking as good as my Pixel I’ll go back. I am going to a couple state parks today, I will take some comparison pics. Airdrop is really nice

Last edited:

lagflag

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2021
Congrats! I am currently a Pixel 2 user too! I can't wait to switch to iPhone after having my first IOS device (iPad), and loved it. I agree that notifications is one area Android phone is excel at. The problems though with Android phones are:
- The frustration you can get! Despite the (beautiful) Android OS, sometimes it is just beautiful on paper! Meaning, a lot of glitches and things that don't work the way it should work. Example: My family is set to be an exception from the DND mode, however if the phone is on DND, and they called, the phone won't ring!
- You only get 2 years of updates (versus at least 5 years with Apple phones). Making the phone obsolete after that no matter how your hardware is functioning
- Cheap components inside the phone. You will get issues sooner than the iPhone
- Resale value is way cheaper

I am currently waiting for iPhone 13, and since I tend to keep my phones longer, I think it would be the same annual cost to buy a $1000 phone and hold on it for 5-7 years versus buying used cheap Android phones from Swappa as I used to do (bun is not intended).

Last edited:
Reactions: CoMoMacUser

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
"You only get 2 years of updates (versus at least 5 years with Apple phones). Making the phone obsolete after that no matter how your hardware is functioning"

This a major reason why I just switched to iPhone. Even with an unlocked Android, where you don't have to wait for a carrier to approve a major update, you still have to wait on the handset vendor. Tired of that runaround.

lagflag

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2021
This a major reason why I just switched to iPhone. Even with an unlocked Android, where you don't have to wait for a carrier to approve a major update, you still have to wait on the handset vendor. Tired of that runaround.
Well to be fair Pixel phones works like iPhone, they push updates once they are published. But still 2 years maximum!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Well after two days I’m not sure yet, I do like it and it is nice. I am leaning towards back to my Pixel but I will give it a week or so. I like airdrop and iMessage between the device but I don’t like the files app situation and not big on the app folder stuff but I mean you can’t go wrong with iPhone or android IMO. They both get the job done

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
As others have said, there will always be minor culture shock with the change. When I went from Samsung Galaxy(a good phone in its own right) to the iPhone 6+ there was definitely a change of scenery break in period. Getting used to doing it a new way versus the way I was used to. The iPhone 13 (next year - I like to let the dust settle and get it a bit cheaper) will be my fourth iPhone since my Galaxy.

-Be sure to take advantage of the freebie offers on music and ATV+ (even if you don't end up keeping them for the monthly cost, use them for now). (it alll be cancelled from the subscriptions in the iPhone settings).
-Go the 1$ iCloud 50GB, it makes life nicely easy.
-If you were thinking of a new email address, great time is now (suggest @icloud.com but whatever is your domain choice)
-Future Fyi, AirPods Pro and AWatch have been a great add for me. IF you are in the market for new or to add one of these, stick with the Apple product eco. The overall interop again makes life nicely easy.

Welcome to the dark side of the moon....

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I will definitely get the iCloud storage regardless just for my MacBook and iPad. I don’t have any interest in tv so don’t care about the Apple TV and I use YouTube Music but if I keep the iPhone I’ll get the watch for sure

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.