Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
My cat has this habit of chewing all my computer and iPad power cables, i had to use two types of cable protection to save my cables.
IPad power cables at proffed.jpg.JPG

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
We've been lucky - neither of our two cats are chewers. 10 years old now and I can't think of a thing they have chewed up. Knock on wood ... Could be worse - our friends put their two Labs in the kitchen while they were gone for the day. When they got home, the dogs were lounging in the living room, chewing some throw pillows - they had torn a hole through the wall to get out of the kitchen.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
We've been lucky - neither of our two cats are chewers. 10 years old now and I can't think of a thing they have chewed up. Knock on wood ... Could be worse - our friends put their two Labs in the kitchen while they were gone for the day. When they got home, the dogs were lounging in the living room, chewing some throw pillows - they had torn a hole through the wall to get out of the kitchen.
I sure know about the dog thing, had it happen to me a while back she was not locked in any room, but enjoyed working the couch cushions over Big time.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
You could try one of those bitter sprays that are supposed to help train cats not to chew things.
Gave that some thought but my girl friend has her cast i home also, there not chewers so she worries it the spray might hurt them.

So i just went with the cable protection found all the material at Lowes and Home Depot.

The hard part is getting it all installed and held in place this is where the small straps come into the project

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Yeah, our Lab tore up part of our decking and dug a trench in the garden deep enough that you couldn't see her standing in it. She thought it was funny -

View attachment 2358506
You just have to love them no matter what they do, loving my dogs i just kept fixing things, all the cats love scratching the doors and door frames i just keep sanding them and repainting them.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My girlfriend has a rabbit, which currently lives in my house, but he never roams out of his cage unsupervised otherwise I should bunny proof the entire house, especially cables (and I have tons of them). Even at her house, while he would roam more, he would never be left alone out of the cage, also for his own safety.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
My cats have been good, thankfully. Only one instance (3+ years), where my cat came out of the den, dragging my detachable 3.5 mm headphone cable, proudly. I had the cable hooked to the wall, and I assume that it was just too much fun to bop it…🤣

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I count myself lucky that none of my 3 cats are cord chewers. They do like to “steal” anything small though… my wife has to be very careful not to leave earrings lying around, and I once went to put my hearing aids in and one was missing from the charger 😳 fortunately the app has a “find” feature, otherwise that could have been VERY expensive.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
We have a chewer as well. Any plastic bags, labels/tags etc. left around are rapidly cromched so we are constantly vigilant. Luckily not wires!

I have found that "Catstages Fresh Breath Mint Stick Cat Toy" (Amazon or search Google) really seems to satisfy our cat's desire to chew things. She loves them and I've noticed fewer randomly chewed items around the house since we got these. You do have to replace them every few weeks because she loses interest in them, but they're only a few bucks.

I find that getting them online seems to be more successful than getting them from the pet store where they may have been lying around for a long time and pick up other smells.

shopping

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
We've been fortunate enough to have only one thing get chewed by one of our dogs. The first day I left for work after we got one of our dogs, she found my wired earpods and (presumably because they smelled like me) decided to chew them up because she was distressed at my having left. She quickly learned that I'd come back every day and has never destroyed anything else. If it ever was an issue, we're just glad that we have greyhounds - they come with muzzles which they are used to wearing. I can't imagine trying to get a cat to accept a muzzle!

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
One time I came home to my cat having barfed directly onto the mechanical keyboard I had just bought.
This has been a problem we have had after the morning cat feeding, and it's a standard process today of keeping everything computing covered, keyboard the laptop the mouse and the back up HDs i mean everything has to be covered.

Reactions: ignatius345

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
You just want to use the cables that are woven cloth(?) on the outside.
Well i have had many cable types they all don't get ruined but they all show signs of being chewed, today with my heavy duty cable covering the cables protected stay un chewed.

Reactions: vjl323

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
The only problem I have had with my cat is it took my cable upstairs to the loft! I seldom go up there and did not find it for months. Lucky I had a spare!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
My cat has this habit of chewing all my computer and iPad power cables, i had to use two types of cable protection to save my cables.
Years ago now, I did similar to several cords for table lamps for my girlfriend at the time. It wasn't because of a cat or dog, but an otherwise very friendly and nice cockatiel. Parrots are the supreme chewers among the common pets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.