Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejepeto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Unfortunately, my new job requires windows 7 or 8.1 pro. Huge shame since I actually love 10. Furthermore, windows needs to be fully activated so if I can use bootcamp, I'll need a license. Then, I need to send the laptop to be "configured" which costs 150$ because, of course, they don't use a web-based interface. (financial advisor - sales, client portal and stuff)

The computer is an important tool for the job, I would be using it a lot. My question is, should I buy a win7 license and install it on my 2012 non retina MBP 13 for the single purpose of using the company's advisor interface or purchase an ultrabook?

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Do they not offer the option of using a Virtual Machine?

Oracle VirtualBox is free and will run anything not requiring 3D Graphics quite nicely.

Kantian

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2015
United Kingdom
Personally I think you'd be better of with a cheap ultrabook; However do they still sell PCs with Win7? I'm not sure but I think I've seen them still available. If you went the route of installing a Windows license on your Mac well the licenses for Win 7 & 8.1 are still expensive good luck.

Regards,

K

Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Do they not offer the option of using a Virtual Machine?

Oracle VirtualBox is free and will run anything not requiring 3D Graphics quite nicely.

He'd still need a Windows license.

I'm not sure I'd want my company taking that much control over my personal laptop.
I use Windows for work also but I do all of my own configuration and if anything were to go wrong I have a company-issued PC to fall back on.

I think the Ultrabook might be the way to go unless that would mean carrying two machines every day. That's just silly.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... Then, I need to send the laptop to be "configured" which costs 150$ because, of course, they don't use a web-based interface. (financial advisor - sales, client portal and stuff)

The computer is an important tool for the job, I would be using it a lot. My question is, should I buy a win7 license and install it on my 2012 non retina MBP 13 for the single purpose of using the company's advisor interface or purchase an ultrabook?

Wait a minute… You have to purchase some software for $150, in addition to purchasing Windows (and they apparently don't trust you to set it up yourself :D), all to use your own laptop for
Are you required to supply your own laptop for work?
You would get reimbursed for at least some of that, right?

I hope this is not one of those "work from home" jobs which take your money, and your time, and leave you with - not nearly as much as they promise.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Unfortunately, my new job requires windows 7 or 8.1 pro. Huge shame since I actually love 10. Furthermore, windows needs to be fully activated so if I can use bootcamp, I'll need a license. Then, I need to send the laptop to be "configured" which costs 150$ because, of course, they don't use a web-based interface. (financial advisor - sales, client portal and stuff)

Consider the virtual machine alternative. I have been using Parallels on a succssion of Macs for many years. Its virtual windows machines have easily been migrated to my new machines each time. Sometimes i have had the enter activation codes for [MS] Office but otherwise it has benn seamless.
For my (simple) Windows needs this is much better than Bootcamp. And it is backed up with Time Machine. However your crazy office IT set-up might need Bootcamp (or it might not work in Bootcamp after all your effort and expense!)

Last edited by a moderator:

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

I won't try to advise you about an ultrabook, but I will second someone else's suggestion: download VirtualBox. You can buy a Windows license from Microsoft and download the ISO. Then, just "boot" the VM from the ISO and go through the setup as usual.

I did so a bit over a year ago for a similar reason: I have financial software that I depend on, and it's only available for Windows. It's the only application I run in the VM. I haven't had a bit of trouble, and I can even snapshot the VM before a major Windows update in case I have problems.

I use it with Windows 8.1. If you want to do this with Windows 10, do a bit of research. The "Windows 10 Advisor" in my Windows 8.1 VM reports that the "VirtualBox Graphics Adaptor for Windows 8" isn't compatible with Windows 10. But, the latest version of VirtualBox (5.0.x) supports Windows 10. You can find several postings with step by step instructions for installing Windows 10 in a VirtualBox VM.

The good news: once you have your Windows VM set up with your employer's software, you can always migrate the VM to another system running VirtualBox if you have to replace your laptop (and avoid another $150 charge). The Windows license manager will complain because the processorID changed, so you can't use it in multiple places at once. I presume that Microsoft would block you from changing it too often.

A potential roadblock: your employer's IT department refuses to install the software on your VM. You may have to gather some information to be sure the DVD drive and USB ports are accessible to the VM. And, you'll have to make sure they know how to start up the VM.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
All these people who keep recommending VirtualBox, you do realize that the license potentially precludes him using it, right?

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL

Myself, I wouldn't trust the exception they try to carve out in their FAQ. This is *Oracle* you're talking about, after all. Your mileage may vary, of course.

"Personal use is when you install the product on one or more PCs yourself and you make use of it (or even your friend, sister and grandmother). It doesn't matter whether you just use it for fun or run your multi-million euro business with it. Also, if you install it on your work PC at some large company, this is still personal use."

Reactions: AFEPPL

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd just get an ultrabook preconfigured with Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro (in case you have to connect to a domain). I'd do 8.1 since it has the longer support life. Although it is easier to find business models with Windows 7 Pro. It's best to keep your work machines and personal machines separate. That way IT doesn't have access to your files.

Do you even need an ultrabook? If you are just going to work from home you may as well get some $350 Walmart special, pop in a cheap 120GB SSD then perform a vanilla install. As you can just download the ISO files from MS to perform the install. You just need the product key. For most business uses an AMD A8/10 or Core i3 will fly with an SSD.

It does seem a bit sketchy that you have to send them the laptop and pay them $150 to set it up for you. Rather than just emailing instructions and links to any software you need.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never heard of a job, where you are required to supply the computer and software. In any event, I'd opt of a cheaper windows machine and not mess with your personal machines.

Reactions: melendezest

thejepeto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
I ended up activating a windows 7 partition on bootcamp using a key one of my friends gave me and it worked perfectly. I had it set up with no issues.

And yeah, this is life insurance so they are pretty serious about security. I could rent a computer but it was 10$ per week which is a lot for a 800$ ultrabook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.