Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Apple's website still boasts about the "groundbreaking new plan" from AT&T, $29.99 for unlimited.

Wouldn't they have put some kind of notification up, or is there one that I'm not seeing?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
I'm shocked that Apple didn't force them to keep the original plan in place for at least a year.
One month after the release of the 3G model... Really AT&T, really???

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
I have a feeling this is AT&T's way of getting back at Apple for not agreeing to some kind of behind the scenes negotiating to extend the iphone exclusivity contract. This simply can't be good for future ipad 3G sales, here in the US at least.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
if i was apple i would ship all 3g units unlocked and let the end user choose which carrier they want to work with.

f' at&t.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
if i was apple i would ship all 3g units unlocked and let the end user choose which carrier they want to work with.

f' at&t.

They're already unlocked. They just happen to ship with an at&t sim card for "ease of use" to get started immediately if you wanted to.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
So does AT&T's. What's your point? The new plans do not start until the 7th. Why would they need to update them now?

Because they have no stock and it's taking time to ship....so if I am looking to purchase today under the thought based on the information from the websites that I will be getting unlimited, and I receive it on the 8th after the change and look to activate the unlimited plan....common courtesy is to disclose the announcement so I can make my buying decision with all information up front instead of finding out after the fact.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
AT&T probably underestimated the amount of iPads that would sell during 2010. Now that sales are insane, they're doing the legwork to see if their network will hold the traffic, and the answer was a resounding "no". Hence, they had to do something to limit traffic.

Just a guess.

Kavik

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
of course apple knew what they were doing.

I personally think that Apple was in the dark, or at the very least knew about it but continue to stay quiet in order to be able to point the finger that this is all AT&T's doing.

This move is really not Apple's style at all. They have and continue to tout and advertise the "breakthrough deal" with AT&T to activate and suspend an "unlimited" data plan on the iPad on an as-needed basis. Any reasonable person would believe this plan was going to be available for the foreseeable future and I'm sure it was from Apple's end. Apple has never been one to peddle a "less is more" mentality.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
AT&T probably underestimated the amount of iPads that would sell during 2010. Now that sales are insane, they're doing the legwork to see if their network will hold the traffic, and the answer was a resounding "no". Hence, they had to do something to limit traffic.

Just a guess.

And upgrading your network to handle increased load isn't in AT&T's plans.

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Absolutely. Given the shipping times and the fact that I bet a TON of prospective iPad buyers have NO idea about AT&T's change to their T&C, Apple really should update their site to reflect the June 7 changes.

I bet there will be several complaints and a lot of returned ipads for those customers who had been expecting an unlimited plan, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those people try to sue because they bought it under the impression that they would be getting the $30 unlimited plan.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Because they have no stock and it's taking time to ship....so if I am looking to purchase today under the thought based on the information from the websites that I will be getting unlimited, and I receive it on the 8th after the change and look to activate the unlimited plan....common courtesy is to disclose the announcement so I can make my buying decision with all information up front instead of finding out after the fact.

AT&T did a press releAse announcing the changes, and most major media outlets covered it. It was obviously sufficient enough to get the word out, as evidenced by your post.

There's your common courtesy.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
AT&T did a press releAse announcing the changes, and most major media outlets covered it. It was obviously sufficient enough to get the word out, as evidenced by your post.

There's your common courtesy.

I am an enthusiast who regularly frequents many technology based websites, so I would probably know a lot easier than one that does not frequent sites like these. Common courtesy is an asterisk after the advertisement:

*Unlimited offer good until June 7th

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
And upgrading your network to handle increased load isn't in AT&T's plans.

Upgrading a network doesn't just happen overnight. He made a good point, they probably underestimated it and with the iphone 4G coming out they're scared of all the complaints and angry customers that will be complaining about poor 3G data speeds.

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
So does AT&T's. What's your point? The new plans do not start until the 7th. Why would they need to update them now?

Maybe...just maybe the point is no one who orders an iPad today (based on the shipping window) will get the plans being advertised.

But I am guessing that does not impact you...so who cares:rolleyes:

It may be legal but it is not right.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
There are posts in these forums of some users dowloading as much as 20 and 30 GIGABYTES of data in a matter of weeks on the unlimited plan. That's "giga"bytes! If you want to throttle somebody for this change, blame these gluttons. I am lucky if I take 200mb a month on my $30 iPhone unlimited plan, as I'm sure lots of others are.

How on earth is downloading 34gb in 2 weeks from AT&T's battered network right and just for the rest of us? These data pigs should pay more than I do, in my opinion.

Is an all you can eat buffet at a restaurant truly that? You can't set up a cot and move in, now can you, gourging yourself until you explode, leaving nothing for anyone else, can you?

Homer Simpson: "But the sign said 'all you can eat!'" :)

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Apple's website still boasts about the "groundbreaking new plan" from AT&T, $29.99 for unlimited.

Wouldn't they have put some kind of notification up, or is there one that I'm not seeing?

You may be absolutely right!!! And, along with that, AT&T may very well be expecting Apple to release a Verizon model.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I'm not sure how anyone thought the original plan would work.

AT&T's network was incapable of handling the current demand let alone what the iPad might bring. They grossly underestimated the volumes the iPhone would bring, and then did it again with the iPad.

Their only choice was to curb volumes or watch their network completely fail. Increasing cost is the most effective way to limit volumes. They'll loose some business as a result but it may actually increase revenue and performance long term.

I think they are vile for the way they went about it and think Apple was stupid if they believed AT&T in the first place. Maybe now Apple will spread the data demand across all carriers here in the US and everyone will be happier.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
If the reason for the change is the abuse by some individuals, why don't put a cap on the unlimited and leave the rest as is?

Nah, there is much more than overuse. AT&T is reacting to something we haven't heard about yet.

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
There are posts in these forums of some users dowloading as much as 20 and 30 GIGABYTES of data in a matter of weeks on the unlimited plan. That's "giga"bytes! If you want to throttle somebody for this change, blame these gluttons. I am lucky if I take 200mb a month on my $30 iPhone unlimited plan, as I'm sure lots of others are.

How on earth is downloading 34gb in 2 weeks from AT&T's battered network right and just for the rest of us? These data pigs should pay more than I do, in my opinion.

Is an all you can eat buffet at a restaurant truly that? You can't set up a cot and move in, now can you, gourging yourself until you explode, leaving nothing for anyone else, can you?

Homer Simpson: "But the sign said 'all you can eat!'" :)

So far as iPhones go, I agree those numbers are excessive. The iPad is a different matter entirely. Its been built to consume, and it even has models whose primary reason for existence is to do this consumption over a cellular network. The iPad 3G is overpriced if the 3G is only meant for emergency, or otherwise rare use.

Failure to plan on their part isn't our fault. If their network can't handle the iPad they should have said this to Apple so they could bring it to a carrier that can. I feel lucky to have gotten mine before it was scheduled to ship. If I hadn't, I'd miss the grandfather window of opportunity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.