Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Shae

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
CrEsTo said:
I just went to pick up my 24" iMac with Wireless mighty mouse & keyboard, first one sold in Orlando, FL.

The screen is huge compared to my MBP 15"! I will get 2GB of RAM tomorrow.

Pics: http://www.enyum.com/imac

Look you have a copycat :p

imacmf1.jpg

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Wow, that is an awesome photo to show off the size of the 24" iMac. Congrats to all fellow new iMac owners!

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
lol, good one 2Shae.

And for those flying with it, I'm actually the Airport, moving to Mexico and taking the iMac with me... I had to put it in the original box plus lots of clothes between the box and the hardshell suitcase and of course lots of fragile stickers.

I did the same 2 months ago with a 17" and nothing happened.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Hi, CrEsTo,

Thanks for posting the photos, and starting the thread. I'm very, very close to order my own iMac 24" (tomorrow?), and I'm checking the inputs of first users...

Just one question: with the size of the screen and all, what is the situation of the heat of the machine ? Is the cooling doing a good job, any noise from fans ?

Thanks again,
Arnaud :)

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Echo toxin said:
I still find it incredulous that people would buy an iMac that big. The typical user will probably get fed up with the computer about 2-3 years after ownership and a screen that size would easily last 5-6 years. :confused:

Well, I'll go for it... I've used a 20" iMac G5 for two years now, it's very comfortable, but you can enjoy more screen-space while working on Final Cut (Express) / Dreamweaver / Garage Band / iPhoto, and other programs.
Now it is of course a personal opinion, and also a financial issue.
(Let's say my first PowerBook, when I was still a student, was a more painful decision. No iBooks then !).

Additionally, for extra space, I'd rather go for the 24" iMac than a 20" iMac with an extra 20" on my desk. Not mentioning the 7600.

About the screen, it is sad indeed that it is bundled with the machine, but you sell the whole thing together; and when the CPU is really outdated, it can be an extra-TV for as long as the screen functions properly...

As a comparison, the closest choice for a separate Apple 23" screen is to rig it to a mini or a MacPro. The mini is too weak, and the MacPro is too expensive. (I'll end up with €3000 for an iMac 24" 2.33/2Gb/500Gb/7600, instead of €5500 for a "similar" setup with a MacPro; the MacPro is more powerful, but I don't really need that much power).

A. :)

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Arnaud said:
Hi, CrEsTo,

Thanks for posting the photos, and starting the thread. I'm very, very close to order my own iMac 24" (tomorrow?), and I'm checking the inputs of first users...

Just one question: with the size of the screen and all, what is the situation of the heat of the machine ? Is the cooling doing a good job, any noise from fans ?

Thanks again,

I have to admit is a bit louder than my iMac G5 iSight, nothing serious tough, about the heat, I haven't done any heavy editing on it yet, but it feels cool.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
CrEsTo said:
I have to admit is a bit louder than my iMac G5 iSight, nothing serious tough, about the heat, I haven't done any heavy editing on it yet, but it feels cool.

Ok, thanks for the extra info :)

You're at the airport, like, waiting for your plane ? MBP on your lap and all ?
If so, enjoy your flight :)
(Airports are usually kinda lonely, but you have the whole MacRumors community with you !)

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Just arrived home and the iMac is in perfect condition... I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and feels great!

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Old Smuggler said:
so would you reccomend the 24 over the mac pro for the average video editing user

Well, the MacPro, IMO, is the best workstation available on the market... so I won't say the iMac is better.

But if you don't need THAT much power, and want to save some cash, go for the iMac, the display is awesome and it's a pretty fast machine.

BwanaZulia

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
Old Smuggler said:
so would you reccomend the 24 over the mac pro for the average video editing user

Depends on what you mean by average? If you make your living via editing, spend the money for the biggest most powerful beast you can find.

If by average, you mean a home user, doing some iDVD, iMovie stuff for friends and family, yest the iMac 24" will get the job done and well.

The chip and video card are pretty good. You will probably see limitations in hard drive (addable) and memory (3GB max) as you creep up the "pro user" scale.

I am actually down/upgrading from a Powermac Dual 2.3 Ghz G5 (3.5 GB Ram, X800 video) to a 24" iMac, 2GB Ram, 256MB card and from everything I have read it will be faster.

BZ

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
BwanaZulia said:
The chip and video card are pretty good. You will probably see limitations in hard drive (addable) and memory (3GB max) as you creep up the "pro user" scale.

A good point about the iMac 24" though is that it includes one FW800 connection, whereas the iMac 17" and 20" (and previous iMacs) are limited to FW400. This means that you can add an external hard drive with better performances, like the La Cie Extreme models (two HDDs in Raid 0, or something like that), compared with the other models.

It will not be as good as 4 HDDs in Raid 0 inside a Mac Pro, of course, but it is better than a FW400 connection.

The box of my Big Disk Extreme 500 reads (criptically): "twice as fast as most FW400 drives". Additionally, it mentions "rates up to 50 percent faster than most FW800 drives". Of course, that's what the box says...

NB: I bought this HDD while needing extra storage, using it as FW400, and I plan to use fully its FW800 option when I buy a 24"... ;)

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
OoooKkkkk, just ordered my iMac too... :) :) :)

" iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo // NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT met 256 MB SDRAM // 2,33-GHz Intel Core Duo 2 // 500 GB Serial ATA-schijf // 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1 GB... "

Delivered under 5 days, hopefully on my desktop next week-end ? But I guess I'll miss the delivery guys once or twice, so maybe the week after anyway...

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Arnaud said:
OoooKkkkk, just ordered my iMac too... :) :) :)

" iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo // NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT met 256 MB SDRAM // 2,33-GHz Intel Core Duo 2 // 500 GB Serial ATA-schijf // 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1 GB... "

Delivered under 5 days, hopefully on my desktop next week-end ? But I guess I'll miss the delivery guys once or twice, so maybe the week after anyway...

Nice configuration!

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
and i thourght my 20" was big, but in a few months you will get used to it, like me my 20" seems small now, im thinking off adding a 19" acer windescreen moniter at the side of it

-jake

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
eyemacg5 said:
and i thourght my 20" was big, but in a few months you will get used to it, like me my 20" seems small now, im thinking off adding a 19" acer windescreen moniter at the side of it

...The computer is currently in the living-room, and my wife is a little concerned about having a 24" iMac landing there, competing with the TV...
I'll wait another 6 months before adding a 23" :D

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
CrEsTo said:
Just arrived home and the iMac is in perfect condition... I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and feels great!

If I may ask, where did you buy the RAM and what was the price?

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Old Smuggler said:
Configure both and you will see the price difference between an imac 24 and a mac pro get pretty small.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
TBi said:
Lucky you! Couldn't help noticing the power cable though. That should be running through the hole in the stand. Dunno but that would bother me!
WOW. That little cord would bother you? I'd just be thankful I had the comp. I have wires running from my keyboard and my mouse it isnt really that bad. :rolleyes:

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
technicolor said:
Configure both and you will see the price difference between an imac 24 and a mac pro get pretty small.

I can't really agree with that...

iMac 24" 2.16 GHz / 2Gb / 500Gb / 7600 GT w/ 256Mb : € 2.500
Mac Pro 2.00 GHz / 2Gb / 500Gb / 7300Gt w/ 256Mb / 23" screen: € 3.850

You can change the options around, but for similar options, the Mac Pro is always way over the iMac.
Actually, a maxed-up iMac with all options is the same price as the bare-minimum Mac Pro with a 23", at € 3.300. And the bare-minimum Mac Pro is not usable (160Gb, 1Gb, etc... no point into buying that to work with, without adding an extra HDD etc...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.