Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Arnaud said:
And the bare-minimum Mac Pro is not usable (160Gb, 1Gb, etc... no point into buying that to work with, without adding an extra HDD etc...).

Yep, my G3 700 iBook is far superior to the Mac Pro. At least I can surf the web , email do some coding work and use it for recording with Audacity. Glad I didnt buy the Mac Pro as it is unusable.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
With the Mac Pro you pay for quad Xeons and expandability. Those are worth a LOT!

But if you can do without them, you can save a lot :)

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Arnaud said:
I can't really agree with that...

iMac 24" 2.16 GHz / 2Gb / 500Gb / 7600 GT w/ 256Mb : € 2.500
Mac Pro 2.00 GHz / 2Gb / 500Gb / 7300Gt w/ 256Mb / 23" screen: € 3.850

You can change the options around, but for similar options, the Mac Pro is always way over the iMac.
Actually, a maxed-up iMac with all options is the same price as the bare-minimum Mac Pro with a 23", at € 3.300. And the bare-minimum Mac Pro is not usable (160Gb, 1Gb, etc... no point into buying that to work with, without adding an extra HDD etc...).
LMAO@unusable...that is an insane statement to make.
There are the configurations I would purchase from the US apple store with the edu discount

a 2.66 macpro, with 2 gigs of ram, 250 hard drive, x1900 graphics card, and upgraded with bluetooth/ape $2865.00

a 2.33 24inch imac, with 2 gigs of ram, with a 500 gig hard drive, 7600 GT graphics card $2,575.00

even without the education price

mac pro $3,128.00
imac $2,749.00

that price difference is pretty negligible to me
considering the expandability of the the mac pro

im not adding a screen, as i already own 2 dell 2007fpw
but pound for pound , i stand by the fact the the mac pro is a better deal than a tricked out 24inch imac
unless someone is just so unwilling to pay for a monitor

i already owned an imac and personally if i didnt own the dells i would pissed
and i see why people complain about the all in one design and having to essentially throw away your monitor when you decide to upgrade or get a new machine after owning an imac

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Arcus said:
Yep, my G3 700 iBook is far superior to the Mac Pro. At least I can surf the web , email do some coding work and use it for recording with Audacity. Glad I didnt buy the Mac Pro as it is unusable.

I know some people with time to waste would pick my comments up and try some smart-sounding comments.

If you have €3.300 to put in a computer, you do not want it to act as a first generation G5; if you buy a mac-pro, you want to access the advertized power of the quad-core, the raid-0/ATA bus, the video-expandability, etc . And this you cannot do with 1Gb ram, 160Gb hard-drive, and a X1600 video card. Unless what you do is only html-code, safari-browsing and audacity recording - and then you'd be better off with a G3, hell, even a 68xxx would do.

A basic MacPro is as "unusable" as a Mustang GT in a 50 km/h area. Of course you can accelerate, and turn around, but you cannot use it to its full power - unless all you want to do is impress your neighbours.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
technicolor said:
LMAO@unusable...that is an insane statement to make.

(...)

that price difference is pretty negligible to me
considering the expandability of the the mac pro

im not adding a screen, as i already own 2 dell 2007fpw
but pound for pound , i stand by the fact the the mac pro is a better deal than a tricked out 24inch imac
unless someone is just so unwilling to pay for a monitor

Ok, "unusable" is too strong a word. I just think the usability would be terrible, and you'd have to add at least ram in a very short time to get a decent working condition. But hey, depends how much patience you have.

Regarding the money, you don't count the screen, and mention expandability. Your machine of choice is, without the screen and with a similar hdd, $500 above the iMac; pitch in the screen and you get yet another $1000. So it's 20% more expensive without a screen and 60% with the screen.

I see what you mean, which is that the MacPro is a good investment, with maybe a better price/quality ratio than the iMac, but the price difference (which you mentioned in your initial post) is not small. Unless $1500 is small.

It's anyway a matter of (personal) perspectives.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Arnaud said:
Ok, "unusable" is too strong a word. I just think the usability would be terrible, and you'd have to add at least ram in a very short time to get a decent working condition. But hey, depends how much patience you have.

Regarding the money, you don't count the screen, and mention expandability. Your machine of choice is, without the screen and with a similar hdd, $500 above the iMac; pitch in the screen and you get yet another $1000. So it's 20% more expensive without a screen and 60% with the screen.

I see what you mean, which is that the MacPro is a good investment, with maybe a better price/quality ratio than the iMac, but the price difference (which you mentioned in your initial post) is not small. Unless $1500 is small.

It's anyway a matter of (personal) perspectives.

$2865.00- $2,575.00=290 dollars

$3,128.00-$2,749.00=379 dollars

for someone that already owns a decent monitor a mac pro is the better buy than a 24inch imac

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
WAH :( ! It says something about bandwith reaching limit when I try to look. I guess next time I get near Memphis will be the time I get to see a 24" . I live in Jonesboro, AR and the closest AS is 2 hours away, "The Apple Store at Saddle Creek". We got a new HUGE mall, with some store-space that hasn't sold yet. Apple needs to purchase one of them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.