Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I tried different OS like macOS and Linux but I just keep coming back to Windows.

Windows has everything and more than every OS out there.
It's easy to use and EVERY PROGRAM/APP works on Windows.
Printers and scanners. There are also extra features that Windows has like the ablity to turn off secondary monitors(macOS does not have this).

Apps are easy to install unlike Linux and I have freedom unlike macOS.
I can disable telemetry and anti-privacy features and uninstall 95% of pre-installed apps which on macOS you cannot do.
On macOS you cannot do this as Apple does not allow you to.

Updates take like 2 minutes whereon macOS its around 30-40 mins.

AND finally Windows is so EASY to use and is the best OS for everything. Now with WSL2 I can have Linux as well in the terminal.

No point for macOS or Linux for me anymore. My 16" MBP will stay on Windows forever.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
To each his own. I have no problem with Windows or macOS and use both daily and find neither limits me (but then again, we each have our own needs and priorities).

Not sure what you mean by this though:
"the ability to turn off secondary monitors(macOS does not have this)."

Don't you just use the physical power switch on the monitor?

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
yeah but do you have ~cool factor~ and ~I got $$ ~ vibes tho…
nope I don't have that but I have an OS that gets my job done in a fast and easy way and Windows is freedom
unlike macOS where everything is so restrictive.

Also I forgot to mention this but Macs have Windows precision trackpad support now. so that means the track pad is
on par with macOS and thats one more reason to not go back to macOS

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Don't you just use the physical power switch on the monitor?
1628741715667.png

Having this option is much easier than turning off physically the monitor as I can easily turn it on or off and is much quicker also.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
No point for macOS or Linux for me anymore. My 16" MBP will stay on Windows forever.

Forever is a long time. What happens when Nadella leaves and is replaced with another Ballmer type and Windows quality takes a dip? Then, Musk replaces Cook as CEO of Apple and the quality sky rockets, transforms it into a AAA gaming platform while making prices more competitive with Windows?

Aside from that I agree that Windows and Linux are currently top two.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
"I can disable telemetry and anti-privacy features and uninstall 95% of pre-installed apps which on macOS you cannot do."

How?

What version of Windows are you using? Will you upgrade to 11?

Reactions: lepidotós

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
I tried different OS like macOS and Linux but I just keep coming back to Windows.

Windows has everything and more than every OS out there.
It's easy to use and EVERY PROGRAM/APP works on Windows.
Printers and scanners. There are also extra features that Windows has like the ablity to turn off secondary monitors(macOS does not have this).

Apps are easy to install unlike Linux and I have freedom unlike macOS.
I can disable telemetry and anti-privacy features and uninstall 95% of pre-installed apps which on macOS you cannot do.
On macOS you cannot do this as Apple does not allow you to.

Updates take like 2 minutes whereon macOS its around 30-40 mins.

AND finally Windows is so EASY to use and is the best OS for everything. Now with WSL2 I can have Linux as well in the terminal.

I use both daily and I like them both!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm a fan of Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Chrome OS, but have been leaning toward Windows more lately.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 6 laptop. 8GB RAM / 256GB NVME storage. I just swapped out the 256GB drive for a 1TB Samsung NVME drive ($110). Super easy and using Macrium Reflect it was a piece of cake to clone the original drive.

Fewer and fewer laptops these days allow for user upgradeable components (the Yoga's RAM is soldered :( ), but for those that do, it's a great deal... and a draw away from Apple's approach.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Definately leaning more towards Windows as well.

Was recently looking for a good replacement for time machine backups to my NAS and realised after searching that Windows actually has a perfectly good file history option that I now have running every 6 hours.

Really enjoying Windows at the moment. Not entirely away from macOS just yet but far less need for it and I am at the only one at home that uses Mac now. My wife abandoned it as did my kids.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
I'm a fan of Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Chrome OS, but have been leaning toward Windows more lately.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 6 laptop. 8GB RAM / 256GB NVME storage. I just swapped out the 256GB drive for a 1TB Samsung NVME drive ($110). Super easy and using Macrium Reflect it was a piece of cake to clone the original drive.

Fewer and fewer laptops these days allow for user upgradeable components (the Yoga's RAM is soldered :( ), but for those that do, it's a great deal... and a draw away from Apple's approach.
You don't mind using a Chinese laptop?

countermoon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
I don't have any experience beyond Windows 8. I find the UI for the Mac far superior. But the communist tactics of both these companies have driven me away. I've used Ubuntu, Mint, and Zorin. I've been able to boot my Dell laptop from a USB drive—but never from an external hard drive. I don't know why it won't work. Perhaps I will find a distro that I will want to use full-time, but it will have to be on a new laptop.

One thing about the Mac: You can create partitions live without having to jump through hoops. I can run Win 7 through Boot Camp on my Mac. Last week I ran Ubuntu through Virtual Box, but the experience was mediocre.

Reactions: OldITGeek

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I think macOS has has always had a superior users experience (though Windows 7 in the 00s wasn’t too bad) and of course superior Mac hardware (well, let’s not mention MBP 16-19 and the butterfly keyboard).

I’ve used Windows 10 pcs and they’re fine if you don’t mind the user experience / interface being a total mess.

I’d say also that when Windows works well with peripherals it’s great but if there’s a weird quirk - well good luck solving that.

The Mac tends to not support a wide a range of peripherals as Windows true, but the ones it does support tend to ‘just work’.

and of course, Windows is better for gaming. But in all situations - other than new triple A games running at ultra - client agnostic platform gaming will be the way to game in a year or two.

Anyhow, if MS can clean the UX mess up in Win11, it starts to be a real contender to MacOS.

But that’s a big ‘if’ - MS have a history of half finishing the job and leaving UI from decades old versions of Windows strewn around.

I think at the premium laptop end, when twinned with Mac hardware, you’re going to see faster speeds and excellent battery life on the Mac side that Windows won’t be able to match in the next few years.

At the mid pricing range, Win11 PCs could be fantastic.

Let’s see if MS can finish it properly in time for the fall.

Reactions: OldITGeek

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I prefer MacOS and would recommend it over Windows every day of the week.

In 20 years of using Mac it was never something I would recommend. Unless there was a specific use case that suited it. Always told people to go with a Windows-based device.

I find the UI for the Mac far superior.

I prefer the Mac UI but it should never get that much in the way of decision making. True for the majority of users, but I appreciate some that work more closely at OS level that would be different.

Reactions: iMac'd

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I don't think I could go back to Windows for various reasons (chief among them is that disabling telemetry and """defender""" is next to impossible without significantly nerfing the OS. also I need unix) but there are so many things it does better than macOS, in particular the responsiveness, window management, and ability to configure the OS for advanced use cases.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I don't think I could go back to Windows for various reasons (chief among them is that disabling telemetry and """defender""" is next to impossible without significantly nerfing the OS. also I need unix) but there are so many things it does better than macOS, in particular the responsiveness, window management, and ability to configure the OS for advanced use cases.

I have never noticed major breakage when using O&O Shut Up 10 and I’ve used it since it was still a beta. You can customize what it turns off to suit your needs and wants and it clearly tells you what turning off some things will break. Add in WSL2 and you’ve got Linux. Works in full Hyper-V too for that close to bare metal experience with a GUI.

Reactions: zakarhino
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.