Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
I've never had a problem with peripherals on my Mac. For me, as someone who has used computers since 1980, the MacOS has always been much more stable, where Windows has required much more babying and tinkering. But I understand many people enjoy that tinkering. They feel that the Mac UI "hides" too much. For these people, there is something more genuine and authentic about the command line. To use a command line is "real" and "smart". To use a UI is "fake" and "dumb". People who do the first are "good." People who do the second are "bad."

The people who started Apple, and the computer industry, are all gone now. Their idea of a personal computer came from a kind of populism, power to the people, liberating people to use computers without requiring them to have a great deal of tech knowledge. As people educated in New England invaded Silicon Valley, that goal was reversed toward an elite telling us what to do with our computers. It's authoritarian and paternalistic, to say the least.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me, as someone who has used computers since 1980, the MacOS has always been much more stable, where Windows has required much more babying and tinkering.
Polar opposite for me, in Windows it just works, for macOS, not so much. Especially for legacy or older products. I have an older scanner who's manufacturer (Epson) stopped updating or providing the software to use it on macOS. They directed us to use Image Capture. A basic, no fills app, where as the Epson application suite for windows and formally on macOS was robust full featured.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I tried different OS like macOS and Linux but I just keep coming back to Windows.

Windows has everything and more than every OS out there.
It's easy to use and EVERY PROGRAM/APP works on Windows.
Printers and scanners. There are also extra features that Windows has like the ablity to turn off secondary monitors(macOS does not have this).

Apps are easy to install unlike Linux and I have freedom unlike macOS.
I can disable telemetry and anti-privacy features and uninstall 95% of pre-installed apps which on macOS you cannot do.
On macOS you cannot do this as Apple does not allow you to.

Updates take like 2 minutes whereon macOS its around 30-40 mins.

AND finally Windows is so EASY to use and is the best OS for everything. Now with WSL2 I can have Linux as well in the terminal.

No point for macOS or Linux for me anymore. My 16" MBP will stay on Windows forever.

I still have my minor gripes with both platforms. I prefer Windows on my desktop, and MacOS on my laptop.

I have occasional issues with printing from Windows for damn near a decade now, since many versions back and no matter the printer. And it always happens when i need it the most. Printing from MacOS has always been rock solid.

MacOS loves to randomly unmount my network drives, which can be be very annoying. This NEVER happens on Windows.

Thank SSDs for faster updates on Windows, cause before that it was pure hell. But I still hate how Windows basically forces updates, unless you pause updates or disable it all together. It's definitely annoying when you hop on your Windows PC for an urgent task, and when you turn it on it's busy updating. This doesn't happen on MacOS until you tell it to.

Been using Macs and Windows for decades, and I'm still not used to X not closing most apps on Macs. This only happens with apps on Windows OS that suppose to remain open in the background. Would be nice if Apple changes that, so I don't have to keep manually closing most of my apps.

Dual booting and/or partitioning the HD the way you want it is pretty much impossible on M1 machines. On intel Macs, Bootcamp doesn't give you much options when installing Windows, and partitioning to install Linux can be a
PITA. I wish Apple offer Macbooks with two separate drives, so we can do whatever we want with the second drive.

HDR on Windows is HORRIBLE!!!!! I wonder if that was addressed with 11?

I haven't experienced a Windows laptop yet, that can match the sleep battery life of any Macbook. This is not just a hardware thing. Cause my previous intel Macbooks would loose a noticeable amount of battery life when sleeping on Windows, but show very minimal drain when sleeping on MacOS. And putting Windows in hibernate is a hit or miss when turning it back on, no matter what machine.

In my personal experience, Macbook batteries degrade faster than most PC laptops I've had. It's never been an actually issue for me. I just noticed, if I get 10hrs of life out the box on both a Macbook and a PC laptop, 2-3 years from now I will usually notice much more time shaved off on the Macbook. Maybe updates have something to do with it, maybe it's both software and hardware, or maybe it's cause most intel Macbooks get hotter than the average non gaming PC laptop, who knows. M1 Macbooks might be different, only time will tell.

Yes, apps are easy to install in Windows, but they sure love to leave their junk in the registry and sometimes random files when you delete them. This is why I always install apps I'm not familiar with in a VM first. You can always install a junk cleaner, but they also miss things and you got to be careful of which one you install, as they are commonly used as trojan horses for malware.

Windows snapping feature is God sent when you need it. I don't want to hear "there's an app for that" on MacOS, cause none of them compare to Windows default window snapping and most will cost.

Windows is king of gaming from every angle. Nuff said about that. 😅

This is a pretty big one for me .... MacOS is basically completely reliable when exporting edited video or audio. On a Windows machine, no matter how high the specs are, performing other foreground tasks while exporting/rendering could interfere with the process and cause output issues like dropped frames, audio sync, or just plain corruption. It's definitely nowhere as bad as it used to be, cause even background services used to interfere back then. But I just still overall trust MacOS more with editing vs Windows, and still kill all other apps on Windows if I'm exporting. This is the same with recording live audio using a midi device. Windows would just be prone to having more hiccups. And live recording is something that even one small hiccup can't be tolerated.

Windows compatibility mode is also God sent. There's some exe app files that I've saved and still run on occasion, some are from over two decades.

Windows (metro) app store SUCKS!!!! With the exception of games, there's literally only a handful of Metro apps worth having or installing. And most of that small amount is pretty much a system app now (like Mail, Xbox, and YourPhone). But 98% of all other apps are pure trash. Even the well known apps are trash, like Netflix, Spotify, and etc. You're better off using the browser or installing the desktop app from their own site. The small amount of apps that are worth it, are really good. The ones that are not good, are insanely terrible. There's really no middle ground. On occasion, I also find myself updating apps 2-3 times before the update actually sticks. Updates used to be slow too, but at least they fixed that.

TimeMachine is the best and most reliable backup and restore on any platform. I auto backup wirelessly and restore plugged in to an external drive. Cause wireless restore is a joke. Windows has a decent backup, and there's plenty of 3rd party cloning software. But TimeMachine restore has given me a 100% success rate when doing a full restore, and I restored countless times, especially back when I had the need to experiment with everything. Being that said, the Windows Restore Point feature is VERY useful. Many times more useful and convenient than doing an actual complete restore from backup and pretty much has a 100% success rate as well.

View attachment 1817640

Having this option is much easier than turning off physically the monitor as I can easily turn it on or off and is much quicker also.

That doesn't technically turn off the monitor. It just kills the feed to the monitor, and the monitor goes on stand-by, which depending on the monitor, shuts off instantly or after a short x amount of time.

But yes, it's a shame you can't do the same on MacOS. I have to physically pull out the usb-c cord from my mac. They should have gave the option to end the screen display the same way mirroring display is setup. Which I can kill mirroring display from the taskbar.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I set my Active Hours from 6am to 11pm and never get automatic updates for years. I have to manually click on 'check for updates'.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't have active hours, my hours are erratic. I'm afraid if I set active hours it will install and reset while using it.

Unless I choose to pause updates which only goes up to 35 days, most times I don't even realize it installed an update which is waiting for a reboot. Sometimes I notice the symbol in the taskbar, but it's not really that noticeable, especially if you're focused on a task.

Would be much easier just to set updates to manual for good.

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Some don't want a solution so they can keep falsely repeating that Windows forces OS updates. I keep my PC on 24/7 and haven't gotten a forced update or notification to update reboot in years after setting Active Hours.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Some don't want a solution so they can keep falsely repeating that Windows forces OS updates.

Windows absolutely forces updates. If windows notifies me that new updates are ready to be installed, and I ignore it, it will eventually install on it's own. I have to keep pausing updates every x amount of days to prevent that.

On MacOS, I can have an update notification basically forever, and it will NEVER self install unless I manually click update.

Don't see how this is false reporting.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
On Windows 10, I use WUB to have total control over when Windows updates occur. I don't recommend it for people who do foolish things on their computer that cause them to be susceptible to viruses and malware.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021
Polar opposite for me, in Windows it just works, for macOS, not so much. Especially for legacy or older products. I have an older scanner who's manufacturer (Epson) stopped updating or providing the software to use it on macOS. They directed us to use Image Capture. A basic, no fills app, where as the Epson application suite for windows and formally on macOS was robust full featured.
That isn't the fault of the OS. It's the fault of software not being updated. Windows handles legacy software better than Apple. I think of Apple as more of a phone company. They don't care much about the Mac OS.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Quite a few people on this site have said you can schedule the updates to avoid these problems.

Actually its quite easy to set to active hours so updates don't interfere.

One other plus is that windows doesn't nag you incessantly regarding the updates

I set my Active Hours from 6am to 11pm and never get automatic updates for years. I have to manually click on 'check for updates'.
I setup my active hours as recommended. Let's see how this works out. Thanks guys for the tip. I don't mind clicking the button everyday. What are those people called? Seekers?

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
I tried different OS like macOS and Linux but I just keep coming back to Windows.

Windows has everything and more than every OS out there.
It's easy to use and EVERY PROGRAM/APP works on Windows.
Printers and scanners. There are also extra features that Windows has like the ablity to turn off secondary monitors(macOS does not have this).

Apps are easy to install unlike Linux and I have freedom unlike macOS.
I can disable telemetry and anti-privacy features and uninstall 95% of pre-installed apps which on macOS you cannot do.
On macOS you cannot do this as Apple does not allow you to.

Updates take like 2 minutes whereon macOS its around 30-40 mins.

AND finally Windows is so EASY to use and is the best OS for everything. Now with WSL2 I can have Linux as well in the terminal.

No point for macOS or Linux for me anymore. My 16" MBP will stay on Windows forever.
I switched wife 3 times and didn’t have to announce it to the world ! ?

• Haha
Reactions: millerj123

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Windows absolutely forces updates. If windows notifies me that new updates are ready to be installed, and I ignore it, it will eventually install on it's own. I have to keep pausing updates every x amount of days to prevent that.

On MacOS, I can have an update notification basically forever, and it will NEVER self install unless I manually click update.

Don't see how this is false reporting.

100% false that Windows will force you with updates. You can set Windows to NEVER even look for updates via Group Policy indefinitely unless I manually check for updates myself whenever I want

Capture.PNG

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
100% false that Windows will force you with updates. You can set Windows to NEVER even look for updates via Group Policy indefinitely unless I manually check for updates myself whenever I want

View attachment 1819717

Really??? A group policy?? Explain to the average home user all the steps to create a group policy and set it up, then look them in the eyes and say "it's that simple". Reply back with the reaction on their face. ???

Reactions: ian87w

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Explain to the average home user
I think that's a strawman argument. The average home users shouldn't be messing with group policies, and in fact setting active hours is more then enough for them. For the hobbyist or enthusiast, it would be something they could easily research.

In all honesty we can say the same thing when we see a post in the macos forum telling someone xyz is easily solved via a console command. Try telling that to the average home user...

The people here are not average home users and trying to use that as a reason is perhaps misguided.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh and let me add there are much easier solutions to alter those settings I believe O&O shutup and other debloat scripts do this and have decent Uis so more inexperienced users won't be scared aware

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm a nerd... so I check for updates frequently. :p

I also have Active Hours set... but I've never been interrupted because of the above.

But I can see how it can be annoying for the average user. Reminds me of the people complaining when there's an update for Playstation or XBox but all they want to do is play a game!

Luckily you can "pause" Windows updates for up to a month. And you can set Active Hours to prevent interruptions. You do have some control.

But if you can't find time to update in a month... that's kinda on you. There are HUGE amounts of time when you're asleep or away from your computer. And most updates only take a few minutes. The really big updates might only take 15 minutes or so.

The best advice I can give is to setup Active Hours so your computer will update while you're asleep... or so your home computer will update while you're at work. Again... there are LOTS of hours every day when you're not at your computer. That's a great time for updates to occur.

Updating is important. Let it happen.

:)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
And most updates only take a few minutes. The really big updates might only take 15 minutes or so.
Hmm, updates like defender definition updates are quick and no restart needed. However, the collection of patches can take a while. This is a catch 22. Most people would defer updates because they don’t want to be interrupted (nobody wanted to see the blue Windows is restarting screen in the morning of work because Windows just failed to update/restart properly overnight). Many people also still have the habit of shutting down their PC at the end of the day, preventing automatic updates.

But deferring updates mean the next update will take even longer. Even 15 minutes can feel like a long time if you want to start working.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But deferring updates mean the next update will take even longer
Deferring can also mean doing it on another date when its more conducive. Personally, I find the active hours settings to be the best approach. Your system is update to date and its done so after hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.