Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Agree that all have an opinion, but if you look at the context, these terms to describe iPads are far from a polite and well argued opinion.

So when I see these kinds of terms used to describe the iPad, I think, no write, "clueless", "old-fashioned", "little knowledge", "click-hungry". Are that derogatory or am I only stating an opinion, in your opinion?

Doesn’t matter how it was originally described to me. As the old adage goes, two wrongs don’t make a right.

So if somebody takes a comment aimed at a device personally then there are deeper issues involved but that’s another story and certainly not for this place.

Reactions: Clockerjohn

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
In the end, you can run Windows and Mac OS on the iPad or even use cloud computing in the end if you need to do coding.

It's just that people here want to limit themselves.
Well if I had to code I’d get a computer, while you can achieve as you said the same result, I’d go the best route for that.
People want to use an iPad as a traditional computer, they need to adapt to a new way of using a “computer”.

That said, the iPad as a laptop replacement is not for everyone.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
So just because they don’t agree with you, they are jackasses? Right okay.
That’s not what he said. He said some jack asses are writing articles. Maybe he’s a jack ass that also wants to write an article? What’s the problem?

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
That’s not what he said. He said some jack asses are writing articles. Maybe he’s a jack ass that also wants to write an article? What’s the problem?
I'm sure the articles, which he doesn't reference, have a comment section. The problem is he posted his jackass opinion looking for comment here. ;)

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
But then we here wouldn’t know those articles exist. I’m glad he informed us about it.

The only thing he has informed us about is that he believes that anyone who doesn’t like the iPad are jackasses. That is it. He has not come back to reference anything. Just throwaway comments about some random on Facebook.

If that was not his intent, he should come back and correct his original post.

Reactions: ericwn

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I think this has gotten overblown and has veered off the topic of the thread. It's all really very subjective and everyone is entitled to a strong opinion (even the OP). Yes, some hyperbole used to make the point, but not directed at any one person but rather at a viewpoint. At least that's how I see it.

Reactions: MarkC426

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Some jack asses write articles on why they no longer need an iPad but a phone and MacBook Air is good enough for most. I COMPLETELY disagree. Use my iPad daily to read and for all kinds of things. Bigger screen than phone and much easier to lug around than a laptop. It’s very valuable on long plane flights as I use mine nearly the entire flight. I love the iPad!!!
I agree with you. Love my iPad's also. Which iPad are you referring to?

Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The only thing he has informed us about is that he believes that anyone who doesn’t like the iPad are jackasses. That is it. He has not come back to reference anything. Just throwaway comments about some random on Facebook.

If that was not his intent, he should come back and correct his original post.
I read dozens and dozens of articles on FB. You think I right down every single one of them? Do you know how to use FB? I don’t even remember where I saw it on FB.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The only thing he has informed us about is that he believes that anyone who doesn’t like the iPad are jackasses.
No, he didn’t say that. He said that some jackasses wrote articles with that opinion. But likely there are also non-jackasses who wrote articles with that opinion. He didn’t say there weren’t, nor did he establish a causal link between the two.

Reactions: jwolf6589

windrider42

Contributor
Aug 19, 2018
Alberta
I love my Ipad as well. I use it daily. I have laptop as well, but the Ipad is so handy. I have the 11" and just keep it at my side while watching tv or playing a game, in case I want to look up something. It's better than using my iphone.

cybersecPat

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
I'm a big fan of my iPad. I have an iPad Pro M2 11" with cellular for my on the go needs. I find it more effective for computing while out and about than any laptop I've had (Mac or Linux.) Magic keyboard works great for when you need precision in typing and the touchpad is serviceable. I mostly use it in a magnetic folio with the USB C Apple Pencil.

It is my preferred device for playing games, reading books, editing photos, writing code (with the help of remote servers, git, and some clever apps), web browsing (just better on an iPad than a computer), music production, and more.

I also have a Mac Mini M2 which I use for more multitasking heavy workflows since iPad OS doesn't keep apps in the background alive in any meaningful capacity. Which isn't a bad thing, iPads just have a different "app" based model rather than Mac OS's "document" model. There are pros and cons to both approaches, I find the cons of the iPad's implementation acceptable.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I'm a big fan of my iPad. I have an iPad Pro M2 11" with cellular for my on the go needs. I find it more effective for computing while out and about than any laptop I've had (Mac or Linux.) Magic keyboard works great for when you need precision in typing and the touchpad is serviceable. I mostly use it in a magnetic folio with the USB C Apple Pencil.

It is my preferred device for playing games, reading books, editing photos, writing code (with the help of remote servers, git, and some clever apps), web browsing (just better on an iPad than a computer), music production, and more.

I also have a Mac Mini M2 which I use for more multitasking heavy workflows since iPad OS doesn't keep apps in the background alive in any meaningful capacity. Which isn't a bad thing, iPads just have a different "app" based model rather than Mac OS's "document" model. There are pros and cons to both approaches, I find the cons of the iPad's implementation acceptable.
That's what it boils down to. I did not find the cons of the iPad's implementation acceptable. I switched to a Surface Pro 9 and haven't looked back...

Mike330R

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
I have a MBP, Ipad Pro 11", and and 'old' iPhone 12 Max.
For me: the MBP, on a Rain iLap stand, is the most easy and comfortable to use at home on the couch in the lap. Keyboard is not cramped.

The iPad and Apple Magic Keyboard I mainly bought to use for a work app to fill out certifications. I also use it while traveling for work rather than carry the MBP.
The iPad key board seems much more cramped to type on than the MBP keyboard.
I am not using the iPad Pro to it's full potential. On the lap and on the couch it's not near as comphy as the MBP.

The phone is indispensable and I'm waiting for the 16 to come out before upgrading.

• Love
Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I have a MBP, Ipad Pro 11", and and 'old' iPhone 12 Max.
For me: the MBP, on a Rain iLap stand, is the most easy and comfortable to use at home on the couch in the lap. Keyboard is not cramped.

The iPad and Apple Magic Keyboard I mainly bought to use for a work app to fill out certifications. I also use it while traveling for work rather than carry the MBP.
The iPad key board seems much more cramped to type on than the MBP keyboard.
I am not using the iPad Pro to it's full potential. On the lap and on the couch it's not near as comphy as the MBP.

The phone is indispensable and I'm waiting for the 16 to come out before upgrading.
Warning, I may sound like a broken record regarding previous posts and this post.

It has been 4 years since I’ve owned an Apple laptop. I have to admit the M1 iPad Pro’s Apple Magic Keyboard is not very comfortable to use on the couch in my experience. On a desktop it is just okay. The small trackpad is the real disappointment for me. The lack of a function key row is also a minus. The overall weight with keyboard seems a bit much compared to the MBA.

Maybe the next generation of the iPad Pro will tweak the Apple Magic Keyboard to something more usable for me. Also the rumored other updates may sweeten the deal.

On the other hand a Macbook Air with a 15” screen beckons. Yes every device has
trade-offs regarding functionality and features. I would also include price in cosideration in anticipation the next iPad Pro with Apple Magic Keyboard. Price may exceed the price of a MBA (same RAM and SSD size).

Finally I wonder why Apple does not offer built-in cellular service in their MacBooks. I’ve become dependent on cellular service on my iPad Pro.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.