Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I'm in complete agreement. For every list of things the iPad can’t do compared to a laptop, I can easily write one about the things that it can.
A little story. Recently, I had the opportunity to go back to MacOS after being on an iPad exclusively for years. My first reaction, this is just such a tedious slow way of doing things. Literally, a 30+ year of design that hasn’t changed much. Mouse, peck and hunt the objects to close windows etc. The finger method of the iPad is so much more fluid. I took out the middle man with the iPad.
Then, in a random error (partially my fault, partially the system) I caused a real headache by accidentally deleting a system file. This just wouldn’t happen on an iPad.
I get all the arguments etc for the MacOS laptop way of doing things, but after this whole debacle, I basically vowed Im DONE with MacOS and laptops etc. Is the iPad perfect? No. What is? But all these arguments about “real work” etc is all subjective. They just have a mouthpiece to write about it.
Just give me the portable STABLE iPad (with an external monitor perhaps) and I’m set.
2 possible cases:
1. Your system has issues and need fixing (or probably downgrade/update MacOS)
2. You’re not familiar enough with MacOS

I found very rarely people complain about unstable and complexity of MacOS. Even my 70+ yo can learn and adapt quickly.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
2 possible cases:
1. Your system has issues and need fixing (or probably downgrade/update MacOS)
2. You’re not familiar enough with MacOS

I found very rarely people complain about unstable and complexity of MacOS. Even my 70+ yo can learn and adapt quickly.
It wasn’t complex. A file that would normally delete, didn’t. And I dragged it to the trash where it remained. It’s all fine now, but it shows that even MacOS has its quirks and can easily be “broken”. The iPad, not so much.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
It wasn’t complex. A file that would normally delete, didn’t. And I dragged it to the trash where it remained. It’s all fine now, but it shows that even MacOS has its quirks and can easily be “broken”. The iPad, not so much.
Understood macOS setup depends on many things, but my experience with macOS has been great so far and its stability is quite solid compared to iPadOS. There are glitches here & there for sure, but those happened on both platforms (which depend how good is the setup).
In my case, I use 13” , 15” MBA and 11” iPad interchangeably depends on needs & situation.

Reactions: BB1970

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Doesn’t matter how it was originally described to me. As the old adage goes, two wrongs don’t make a right.

So if somebody takes a comment aimed at a device personally then there are deeper issues involved but that’s another story and certainly not for this place.
Your avatar excellently explains your attitude.

I am all in for having a pleasant discussions but each "side" should keep a polite tone and it is far from that in iPad threads.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Your avatar excellently explains your attitude.

I am all in for having a pleasant discussions but each "side" should keep a polite tone and it is far from that in iPad threads.

Having pleasant discussions would involve not falling into insults about someone’s perceived attitude or their avatar appearance. You are well advised to put your money where your mouth is and not throw the first stone. Or any stone.

Edit: “well advised “ is probably the wrong term, apologies for that and nice to see others find it entertaining at least. I’ll reconfirm the rest of that sentence, put your money where your mouth is and not throw the first stone.

Last edited:

DukeSA

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
South Africa
I recently bought a iPad Pro M2 and wow , don't think ill look back , have the 13" M2 Mac book pro but for me and the little I do on a Mac the iPad blows me away , I actually went out and bought my wife daughter and son one as well ( a bit carried away yes)🤦‍♂️ , but I love tech and the last few years Mac has just been getting easier to inter link and use. I think each persons uses obviously would dictate how important a iPad or MacBook would be for social work or combined uses. I see the new M3 is lighter and thiner , chances are they will be able to do more and I think as time moves on so will the diversity of a iPad grow maybe even at a near future having a Mac pad Pro (floating keys all the bells and whistles the future has to throw at us ) to give us a even greater user experience . BUTTT for now im waiting extremely impatiently for the 2024 iPad Pro

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I like iPad too. Just got a MBA M3 15“ and I know once I get an new IPad it will collect dust and used for apps which are not available for iOS only. But I think I will skip next iteration and waiting for M4 iPads to get the new AI functionality which will come with iOS 18.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.