Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Think77

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
they () spew off-the-shelf benchmarks they've run that literally anyone could do.
Except those of us who haven’t bought the product yet and appreciate a decent level of insight into performance and other factors before making our purchasing decision. I appreciate their effort, especially MaxTech. Could they be even more knowledgable? Well, couldn’t we all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Better question... why not look at written reviews?
I rely less and less on written reviews. I find YT reviews offer a level of detail that is hard to duplicate in written word. Take Gamer Nexus; their reviews are so indepth, that reading that would not be feasible, nor would they garner such a large following

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I rely less and less on written reviews. I find YT reviews offer a level of detail that is hard to duplicate in written word. Take Gamer Nexus; their reviews are so indepth, that reading that would not be feasible, nor would they garner such a large following
I go to Anandtech for deep dive iPhone/Mac reviews but this year they're a bit tardy with the M2. :-(

Reactions: SpotOnT

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2019
I understand that argument! But she also does really good unboxings and is just generally fun to watch. I get plenty of substance from the others.

I think ~80% of the iJustine hate is because she's a pretty woman. (Not saying you, just making a point.) She's been in the game longer than pretty much anyone else.
I watch her specifically because she‘s not too critical, and sometimes I just want to see someone not bash a product I‘m gonna buy. Youtubers can be so toxic about Apple, and when you‘re actually buying a product it can be too much.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Max Tech, like all of them, has a lot of Click Bait videos. However, the thing people love to overlook about their coverage of the M2 SSD stuff is that they didn't make such claims about the M1 Macs nor the Intel Macs before them. Which is to say that they didn't make this problem up out of thin air. Most people suggesting that it isn't an issue are so staunch in their defense of Apple and their denial that Apple could possibly make a mistep in the Apple Silicon era of Mac computing that you ought to not give them the time of day anyway. Either that or they are M2 purchasers that want to defend their decision to go with the lowest end model. This is common psychology in action here. Is it an end-of-the-world issue? No. Just don't buy a base model M2 Mac if you care about doing more than using it as an overglorified Chromebook. It's really that simple.

But the idea that they are making this SSD issue up out of thin air for the sake of generating viewers is utter nonsense and is next level Apple apologism.
I don’t think anyone is saying that they’re making it up out of thin air.
Apple did a bad thing, it should be known by the public, but… between June and July 2022 they made 18 videos about the subject.
18 videos to say “hey, just so you know the lowest end SSD is slower than the old one so be careful.”
18 videos, all with the most insane titles.
And now, with the M2 MacBook Pro’s, and the Mac mini, they’re just doing it again.
Almost daily videos about the stupid SSD.
This isn’t just letting the customers know about something, this is forcing it down their throats.

Reactions: Sami13496

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Sometime things are so much forced that I’m wondering if they get paid by the competitors to get a bad impression of a product.

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
The Max Tech's and Luke Miani's of the world do little more than produce nice looking visuals packed with noise and personal option.
OMG...I know its off topic but I feel vindicated in finding Luke Miani obnoxious because all he produces is fluff under the coat of big words. I thought it was just me.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Video is a great way to tell a story but a horrible way to consume reference material. Give me a written review and I can find the information I'm looking for in a few seconds. Give me a 10min YouTube review and I'll spend minutes jumping around looking for the second or two that says what I need to learn. Then a week later when I want to double check what I remember, I have to spend that time jumping around waiting for them to say it again. If it wasn't this video, but a different one, then I can lose a lot of time confirming that before looking for the correct one.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
All because of those darn YouTubers and their enthusiasm. Echo chambers of "buy" "buy" "buy"... could have placed the money in stocks instead.
It's more like I am trying to move from two machines, Mac mini + MBA, to one machine MBP. Cut cable clutter. Let go of stuff that I don't need. Simple desk, simple life.

I only buy machines every 3-5 years.

As for stocks, I can tell you that my 401k is down about 4% over the last year, so not the greatest investment right now. Cash going to be king over probably the majority of this year.

Reactions: sam_dean

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
One too many clickbait videos from them for me. Unsubbed a while ago and won't be resubbing. Luke Miani I enjoy every once in a while. EverydayDad, MKBHD, MobileTechReview, iJustine, MacAddress/LMG, and a few others are where I go for Apple stuff that isn't all fluff.

MKBHD review are getting worse and worse. Basically regurgitates the spec sheet while occasionally getting something wrong. He seems to be moving onto other things and doesn't put in that much effort to computer or phone reviews anymore.

Reactions: Apple$

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
MKBHD review are getting worse and worse. Basically regurgitates the spec sheet while occasionally getting something wrong. He seems to be moving onto other things and doesn't put in that much effort to computer or phone reviews anymore.
Thank God, at least someone recognizes that phones and computers are about as good as they're going to get.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
But if they are what you say, there’s still a lot of people who just admire then in the comments. I read the comments on some of their videos and struggled to find any negatives one.

I just hope normal users don’t miss out on great Apple product after watching their video. Imagine someone wanting to buy M2 MacBook Air and then go for some Windows laptop because Max Tech said it’s slow.

I hope they will be more responsible with their content in the future. A large group of people are watching them.
Exactly this. They like to throw gas in the fire. The SSD is not slow. Can we stop with that narrative? As a professional that can still rely on my 2010 Mac Pro at 250 MB per second SSDs, these modern SSDs are just fine. Can we stop this whole narrative it’s “slow”?

Name one thing you need this much speed where these M2 SSDs are slow. Even raw 8k footage uses about 270 MB/s. Even if you can come up with the one thing, you more than likely need a different computer anyway.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
There’s been a lot of discussion about Max Tech YT channel and their reviews on M series chips (mainly the SSD topic). I used to find them too focused on benchmarks and bashing Apple, creating huge problem that is non issue. Now I understand how detailed their comparisons are and how they actually test different scenarios. Not only video making and photography, but also developer and designer use cases. I appreciate their channel more now and especially the amount of work they put into it. I just hope the names of their videos will be more factual, sometimes I feel that they are named to get more clicks which is annoying. And I hope they will emphasize more whether a problem (like SSD speed) affects all users or only a certain workflow. Because sometime normal user might miss out on great Apple product if they think a problem affects them, when it’s really not. Just wanted to say this because some of my comments about then have been pretty harsh. What do you think about them?
I simply do not like his style of presentation… but that’s just me🤷🏻

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016

This is Vadim's most recent tweet. This person is literally recommending getting more storage instead of RAM that is faster than SSD.
I mean.. at this point why Apple even bother selling Macs with 8gb of RAM? They should have just sell them with 4gb of ram and everyone should upgrade to 512gb of storage so we can multitask and swap all the way.

He doesn't know what he's talking about and it was proven multiple times.

obviously he had to correct himself when people told him that RAM is faster than SSD but still.. everyone should get more storage (that he finally admits is slower) and swap instead of getting more RAM without any swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnoMonk

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

This is Vadim's most recent tweet. This person is literally recommending getting more storage instead of RAM that is faster than SSD.
I mean.. at this point why Apple even bother selling Macs with 8gb of RAM? They should have just sell them with 4gb of ram and everyone should upgrade to 512gb of storage so we can multitask and swap all the way.

He doesn't know what he's talking about and it was proven multiple times.

obviously he had to correct himself when people told him that RAM is faster than SSD but still.. everyone should get more storage (that he finally admits is slower) and swap instead of getting more RAM without any swap.
I know it’s not your tweet, but people REALLY need to stop with the “swap memory” as an argument. If you are swapping enough where SSD performance matters this much, guess what? You need more RAM. Getting a fast SSD for swap is just backwards. You need more RAM to swap less.

I still have a little swap on my 2010 Mac Pro. That runs SSDs at 250 MB/s. Do I notice it? No. I have the memory to where I don’t swap as hard.

East India Company

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2023
One too many clickbait videos from them for me. Unsubbed a while ago and won't be resubbing. Luke Miani I enjoy every once in a while. EverydayDad, MKBHD, MobileTechReview, iJustine, MacAddress/LMG, and a few others are where I go for Apple stuff that isn't all fluff.
Ijustine is not fluff? 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: maflynn

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
I know it’s not your tweet, but people REALLY need to stop with the “swap memory” as an argument. If you are swapping enough where SSD performance matters this much, guess what? You need more RAM. Getting a fast SSD for swap is just backwards. You need more RAM to swap less.

I still have a little swap on my 2010 Mac Pro. That runs SSDs at 250 MB/s. Do I notice it? No. I have the memory to where I don’t swap as hard.
Exactly! And he's telling people to get more storage so they can "swap faster" instead of getting more ram which is pathetic.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, his reviews haven't been good for a while now. His video-essay style stuff (where it's less focused on a product and more on a category or trend) is still interesting, but his reviews are basically just pretty spec sheets.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Don't confuse detail for informational. I generally ignore YouTube stuff like this but the original SSD tirade from last year got enough attention and the numbers being quoted from it seemed so absurd that I had to look at it myself. This is what I found and I'll never watch or listen to someone who quotes MaxTech again:

It's technobabble by someone who has a bunch of tools and doesn't know how to use them. It goes beyond just having a contaminated test to not really knowing how to run a test.
They should pin this reply on the front page.

Reactions: iObama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.