Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechElliott

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2022
`
I understand that argument! But she also does really good unboxings and is just generally fun to watch. I get plenty of substance from the others.

I think ~80% of the iJustine hate is because she's a pretty woman. (Not saying you, just making a point.) She's been in the game longer than pretty much anyone else.
She also has calmed down as well.

She does not appear to be an Apple worshiper anymore.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Wait till next year when there is a new feature supported by M2 hardware or above. This place will go nuts complaining why a 3 year old computer doesn’t support latest features.
This place has people on pins and needles WAITING to go nuts on something, so that’s assured.

News: “Today, Apple announced…”
Them: “THERE THEY GO AGAIN! Apple announcing stuff! Hey, Apple, why don’t you focus on releasing an updated iWeb for once? I haven’t seen a new AirPort in awhile, what’s up with that! Tim has got to go!”

They’ll go nuts if they’re ISN’T a feature supported just by newer hardware. :) “I thought Apple Silicon was supposed to bring new stuff? Where’s the new? I’m already bored with it, when can I buy a 27” iMac Tim has got to go!”

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
This place has people on pins and needles WAITING to go nuts on something, so that’s assured.

News: “Today, Apple announced…”
Them: “THERE THEY GO AGAIN! Apple announcing stuff! Hey, Apple, why don’t you focus on releasing an updated iWeb for once? I haven’t seen a new AirPort in awhile, what’s up with that! Tim has got to go!”

They’ll go nuts if they’re ISN’T a feature supported just by newer hardware. :) “I thought Apple Silicon was supposed to bring new stuff? Where’s the new? I’m already bored with it, when can I buy a 27” iMac Tim has got to go!”
Lol true. All these I saved money on M1(buying an old computer) folks are gonna change the tune, moment M2 and higher hardware features get released. There is always a trade off, especially if you keep your computers longer than phones.

Stratox

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2021
Why do you guys complain about MaxTech by saying "they're only doing it for views"? Well, duh, of course they are! Everyone is - that's how YouTube works. Sure, some creators may have different approaches, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to views and likes. After all, bills don't pay themselves!

Reactions: h.gilbert

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Why do you guys complain about MaxTech by saying "they're only doing it for views"? Well, duh, of course they are! Everyone is - that's how YouTube works. Sure, some creators may have different approaches, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to views and likes. After all, bills don't pay themselves!
We only say that because not everyone is aware of it or we see on-camera behaviors that induces more views.

In the 90s my dad would tell me those reviews of games, cars, etc were paid by the brands that were being featured. I did not believe that. Years later I realized later it was mostly true. Back then I also believed that the storylines of WWF/WWE were real life. Later on it was revealed that on-TV wrestling is men's soap opera.

What I have learned sicne then... is replace based on a schedule or a use case change. Do not buy based on emotions from a YouTube review. Money is better spent on stocks that gives you >10% annual div yield while the stock price beats inflation.

So when you replace nearing 120 months from now it is pure financial bliss than pain.

Stratox

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2021
We only say that because not everyone is aware of it or we see on-camera behaviors that induces more views.

In the 90s my dad would tell me those reviews of games, cars, etc were paid by the brands that were being featured. I did not believe that. Years later I realized later it was mostly true. Back then I also believed that the storylines of WWF/WWE were real life. Later on it was revealed that on-TV wrestling is men's soap opera.

What I have learned sicne then... is replace based on a schedule or a use case change. Do not buy based on emotions from a YouTube review. Money is better spent on stocks that gives you >10% annual div yield while the stock price beats inflation.

So when you replace nearing 120 months from now it is pure financial bliss than pain.
I get what you’re saying, but it’s important to keep in mind that YouTubers like MKBHD produce so high quality videos, because they can afford a quality>quantity approach. If they couldn’t, they wouldn’t exist they way they do. The majority of YouTubers cross the boundary of individual and company. And we all know, that businesses seek financial profit by any means necessary, quite literally sometimes.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I get what you’re saying, but it’s important to keep in mind that YouTubers like MKBHD produce so high quality videos, because they can afford a quality>quantity approach. If they couldn’t, they wouldn’t exist they way they do. The majority of YouTubers cross the boundary of individual and company. And we all know, that businesses seek financial profit by any means necessary, quite literally sometimes.
MKBHD had high production value because he gets enough views to finance it. If anyone finds his on-camera behavior annoying then you're not part of that demo that bring in the bacon.

Sir Desmond

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
No, they're garbage click bait hounds like all of YouTube.
This is very unfair because their reviews, leaving aside their rumour videos, have got good content.

It's their style that gives the impression of being clickbait.

They need to update their review methods and considerations.

• Haha
Reactions: PauloSera

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
I was researching the real world differences between the M2 Mac mini chips and M1 chips, also regarding what to order (RAM amount, SSD size, price vs value) and found a few YouTubers with a sane perspective.

Garrett Crespo has some videos that are relevant:
M2 SSD controversy (which is also a remarkable rant against the other YouTubers )
1st take on the new M2 MacBook Pros and Mac minis:

ArtisRight comparing different photo and video applications on the new Macs and the M1 (Max + Ultra):

Marc Ellis on the question M2 Pro Mac mini or Mac Studio:
also his base model M2 Pro Mac mini review, running a bunch of Final Cut Pro video editing tests against the M1 Mac mini, base model M2 MacBook Air, and the 16-inch M1 Max MacBook Pro.:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagnet

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
That Garrett Crespo M2 SSD controversy video was great. He is so right. Someone should post that as a comment on every Max Tech SSD video 😄

You know what… after watching his video I’m NOT changing my mind about Max Tech.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I unsubscribed after how wildly inaccurate they were with the M2 MacBook Air. Any tech person worth their salt knows benchmarks are largely useless and the fact he focuses so much on them is very telling about his actual knowledge that is based on experience, verses what he reads. When I started putting my M2 air through it's paces it blew my socks off in how much power and performance it packs, but if you listened to his review you'd think it was some crippled machine that overheats.

Stuff I've ran on mine just fine include, but are not limited to:

-Houdini simulations.
-4k video editing in Final Cut.
-Music making in Logic (24 tracks before I got bored and stopped).
-Motion graphics in Motion.
-Rendering and animating in Blender.
-Scuplting in ZBrush.
-Lots of work in Unity and Godot.
-Tons of Xcode work (iOS development).
-Lots of gaming (Final Fantasy 14 mainly).

and more.

Not once, and I mean not ONCE did this machine "over heat", or throttle, or any of the other nonsense you think happens when you only run benchmarking software happened.

On a side note, if anyone needs a real, good review from a genuinely knowledgeable person of the M2 Air skip the clickbait channels and look at Mobile Tech Review. Her experience mimics mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethosik

Think77

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Any tech person worth their salt knows benchmarks are largely useless (…)
2 years ago I transitioned from my old 12-core Mac Pro 5,1 to the M1 Mac Mini, and the performace improvement I got in Logic Pro in a real-life workflow was very close to what was reported in/by Geekbench at the time. I think Geekbench reported a 5,500 score for the 12c MP and 7,500 for the M1 MM. Around 40% improvement. And that’s what I got by my estimate. And I’m fairly confident the M2 Pro Mac Mini will deliver double that performance (given the 15,000 Geekbench scores). And that would be a total game changer for my actual real-life purposes for that machine - given the number of tracks I work with and the number and types of plugins I apply to those tracks.

Reactions: Swissfashion

GrandMoffGoose

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2023
There’s been a lot of discussion about Max Tech YT channel and their reviews on M series chips (mainly the SSD topic). I used to find them too focused on benchmarks and bashing Apple, creating huge problem that is non issue. Now I understand how detailed their comparisons are and how they actually test different scenarios. Not only video making and photography, but also developer and designer use cases. I appreciate their channel more now and especially the amount of work they put into it. I just hope the names of their videos will be more factual, sometimes I feel that they are named to get more clicks which is annoying. And I hope they will emphasize more whether a problem (like SSD speed) affects all users or only a certain workflow. Because sometime normal user might miss out on great Apple product if they think a problem affects them, when it’s really not. Just wanted to say this because some of my comments about then have been pretty harsh. What do you think about them?
I find the impact of tech YouTubers are falling because of diminishing returns. Max Tech relies on click bait titles that are so common and in every video that when an actual issue is covered, it doesn’t seem important because everything they say is life-threatening. It’s basically the boy who cries wolf with every video

Reactions: QuantumOfSouls

Think77

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
I find the impact of tech YouTubers are falling because of diminishing returns. Max Tech relies on click bait titles that are so common and in every video that when an actual issue is covered, it doesn’t seem important because everything they say is life-threatening. It’s basically the boy who cries wolf with every video
There’s a truth to that. But mainstream media is picking up that strategy as well - at least the more colorful outlets. It’s all due the need to get clicks in order to show ads in order to make money. Not enough people are willing to (or able to) pay for quality content online. It’s really a shame, and it could end up in a race to the bottom. Let’s hope not - maybe the power of the free market will, eventually, correct the trajectory and make sure quality reporting/journalism will prevail (is that realistic, though?). That being said, I still think there’s quality content that’s free (well, I pay for youtube premium, so it’s not really free).

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I was researching the real world differences between the M2 Mac mini chips and M1 chips, also regarding what to order (RAM amount, SSD size, price vs value) and found a few YouTubers with a sane perspective.

Garrett Crespo has some videos that are relevant:
M2 SSD controversy (which is also a remarkable rant against the other YouTubers )
1st take on the new M2 MacBook Pros and Mac minis:

ArtisRight comparing different photo and video applications on the new Macs and the M1 (Max + Ultra):

Marc Ellis on the question M2 Pro Mac mini or Mac Studio:
also his base model M2 Pro Mac mini review, running a bunch of Final Cut Pro video editing tests against the M1 Mac mini, base model M2 MacBook Air, and the 16-inch M1 Max MacBook Pro.:
Major props to Garrett Crespo. I am able to do all of my production work with external SATA SSDs at 500MB/s, even my 2010 Mac Pro at 250MB/s has enough throughput to be a critical workhorse. This is just severely overblown. 1.6 GB/s is in no way "slow".

Reactions: Swissfashion

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I unsubscribed after how wildly inaccurate they were with the M2 MacBook Air. Any tech person worth their salt knows benchmarks are largely useless and the fact he focuses so much on them is very telling about his actual knowledge that is based on experience, verses what he reads. When I started putting my M2 air through it's paces it blew my socks off in how much power and performance it packs, but if you listened to his review you'd think it was some crippled machine that overheats.

Stuff I've ran on mine just fine include, but are not limited to:

-Houdini simulations.
-4k video editing in Final Cut.
-Music making in Logic (24 tracks before I got bored and stopped).
-Motion graphics in Motion.
-Rendering and animating in Blender.
-Scuplting in ZBrush.
-Lots of work in Unity and Godot.
-Tons of Xcode work (iOS development).
-Lots of gaming (Final Fantasy 14 mainly).

and more.

Not once, and I mean not ONCE did this machine "over heat", or throttle, or any of the other nonsense you think happens when you only run benchmarking software happened.

On a side note, if anyone needs a real, good review from a genuinely knowledgeable person of the M2 Air skip the clickbait channels and look at Mobile Tech Review. Her experience mimics mine.
This is why I generally do not like it when people use benchmarks to test this stuff out. On paper/benchmarks, my i9 and 3080 Ti should just SMOKE my M1 Mac mini. Yet it doesn't for my specific workflow. Why? Well we have dedicated media encoders, neural engines etc so its no longer x CPU cores vs y CPU cores.

Reactions: chrono1081

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I understand that argument! But she also does really good unboxings and is just generally fun to watch. I get plenty of substance from the others.

I think ~80% of the iJustine hate is because she's a pretty woman. (Not saying you, just making a point.) She's been in the game longer than pretty much anyone else.

Here’s the thing though. If I want to see an unboxing video it will be from someone who bought the product with their own money and with the intend to actually own it and use it for their life/work. Not someone who has to act excited and moderate themselves to stay in the manufacturer’s good books so they can keep getting review models sent to them for free.

I’m interested to hear from my CG-Artist brethren how they find the product. How well it works outside of Benchmark apps. Not from self appointed Apple evangelists. Better to be here on these forums. 🙂

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
Here’s the thing though. If I want to see an unboxing video it will be from someone who bought the product with their own money and with the intend to actually own it and use it for their life/work. Not someone who has to act excited and moderate themselves to stay in the manufacturer’s good books so they can keep getting review models sent to them for free.

I’m interested to hear from my CG-Artist brethren how they find the product. How well it works outside of Benchmark apps. Not from self appointed Apple evangelists. Better to be here on these forums. 🙂
Yeah, I had return an Apple Studio Display, so I watched unboxing videos to see how it was packed. I wish people would appreciate more the cardboard origami packaging that Apple is using lately. No one mentions this, because it is directly to : oh look, shiny!

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
Even their's comparsions are trash.
(8:20 and 9:03) He even uses Geekbench 5 on Mac and Geekbench 6 on Intel and then he says Intel is 30% faster in single core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.