Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I know it's definitely not for everyone, but I do miss the camp-outs the night before launch.

As someone who upgrades annually, and whose career affords the flexibility of schedule required, I would camp out overnight to get the phone directly from the store every year.

I was almost always within the first few spots of the front of the line, often the front. It was always a festive atmosphere and I generally found the folks in line with me up front were often business owners, fellow engineers, and so on. We'd meet, learn about each other, and generally have a good time. I'd always bring a long extension cord and a large power-strip, which everyone around appreciated. Bonus for being at the front of the line: you'd be able to hop on the Apple Store's wifi.

It was always good times with good company; a bunch of people excited for the same reason. And as a really cool bonus, you'd get your shiny new toy the next morning. A fun annual event.

With the improvements of pre-order, and the cracking down of camping by the local shopping areas where the Apple Stores are, it's been a few years since a campout, and they'll likely not happen again ... but I remember those nights fondly.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I never did the camping thing, but enjoyed reading about people’s experiences, thanks for sharing yours.

Unfortunately I think it ended when the Asian scalpers camped for days, bought tons of new iPhones to ship overseas giving guys like you and most of us no chance.

My Apple Store has been impressively efficient with the lines now. They have the long line for those who haven’t reserved, and then a short line near the entrance for those who did reserve. In and out in 15 minutes, and the frustration of scalpers ruining the experience no longer exists.

On a side note, interestingly the scalpers moved on to plastic Swatch watches. Omega and Swatch released a plastic Speedmaster Moonwatch collectors dubbed the Moonswatch. Collectors can’t get them because of scalpers camping.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Some fun, happy memories of those days waiting in line way before the crack of dawn to get our hands on the iPhone of our choice..... Somehow this current frenetic, angst-ridden hustling to be online at whatever one's local time is exactly at the moment the Apple Store website opens for taking preorders just isn't the same experience at all....

Not to mention the anxiety of worrying about the shipping and delivery and if the new iPhone(s) will arrive safely at one's home or office on the appointed day....

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Yeah, the iPhone 4 launch in 2010 holds a special place in my heart. The camping out experience was tiring but cool as I met so many awesome people who I occasionally still talk to on social media. I was in line for like 12- 13 hours and on the local news for the morning, noon, and evening broadcasts LOL.

I didn’t participate but in 2017 the iPhone X launch at my local Apple Store was crazy and the last time anyone camped out for phones. I remember being in the mall the night before its release and seeing the massive line in the mall parking lot near the Apple Store entrance with tents and chairs etc.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Yeah, the iPhone 4 launch in 2010 holds a special place in my heart. The camping out experience was tiring but cool as I met so many awesome people who I occasionally still talk to on social media. I was in line for like 12- 13 hours and on the local news for the morning, noon, and evening broadcasts LOL.

I didn’t participate but in 2017 the iPhone X launch at my local Apple Store was crazy and the last time anyone camped out for phones. I remember being in the mall the night before its release and seeing the massive line in the mall parking lot near the Apple Store entrance with tents and chairs etc.
iPhone 4 launch was insane. We also camped out for the iPhone 5s -- gold iPhone was gorgeous, and well worth waiting for. Loved that phone.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
iPhone 4 launch was insane. We also camped out for the iPhone 5s -- gold iPhone was gorgeous, and well worth waiting for. Loved that phone.

You still had to wait in line for 3 hours weeks after to get the iPhone 4 where I lived - that was the phone everyone wanted.

The iPhone 16 may get a bit more interest as they may go with a fourth lens for the real periscope and go back to the 3X portrait - so a different camera array. Reverse charging without a cable and so on. With that and the change in size means we might get an interesting iPhone for a change…

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth

So... in 2010, some iPhone 4 pre-orders got delivered several days before Friday (Tuesday I think). I was one of those lucky people. But that year, I was able to get an order and I also made a reservation for pickup at the Apple Store at Scottsdale Quarter in Arizona. Since I got my pre-order, I agreed to give my reservation to my cousin. I told him to get in line the night before and I would show up in the morning to validate the reservation with Apple. So... when I got my iPhone early, I thought it would be cool to record some of the launch with the brand new "HD Camera" (720p... LOL). I had people in line noticing I already had the new phone and asking questions... some people approaching me asking me if they could hold my phone or play with it. (Which I promptly shut down... I am not handing my brand new phone to a stranger!) To make matters worse... I decided to wear a blue shirt that day... and what did the Apple team members have? Blue shirts... so people thought I was an Apple employee "showing off the phone"... which made them even more likely to approach me to see the phone, demonstrate features, etc. Anyway... here is my old shaky video from Youtube:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
My daughter camped out with me a couple of times, as did my son.

We had chairs and sleeping bags (with sleeping pads to go underneath), blankets and way too much food, haha. In a weird way, it did make the whole process of getting something you were looking forward to a complete experience. Certainly a lot more than "oh, the FedEx guy is here".

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
My daughter camped out with me a couple of times, as did my son.

We had chairs and sleeping bags (with sleeping pads to go underneath), blankets and way too much food, haha. In a weird way, it did make the whole process of getting something you were looking forward to a complete experience. Certainly a lot more than "oh, the FedEx guy is here".

My husband was an annual release day camper for many years. One year, when release day was in July, my son went with him too, for $50.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So... in 2010, some iPhone 4 pre-orders got delivered several days before Friday (Tuesday I think). I was one of those lucky people. But that year, I was able to get an order and I also made a reservation for pickup at the Apple Store at Scottsdale Quarter in Arizona. Since I got my pre-order, I agreed to give my reservation to my cousin. I told him to get in line the night before and I would show up in the morning to validate the reservation with Apple. So... when I got my iPhone early, I thought it would be cool to record some of the launch with the brand new "HD Camera" (720p... LOL). I had people in line noticing I already had the new phone and asking questions... some people approaching me asking me if they could hold my phone or play with it. (Which I promptly shut down... I am not handing my brand new phone to a stranger!) To make matters worse... I decided to wear a blue shirt that day... and what did the Apple team members have? Blue shirts... so people thought I was an Apple employee "showing off the phone"... which made them even more likely to approach me to see the phone, demonstrate features, etc. Anyway... here is my old shaky video from Youtube:
I remember the annual reporting of the event by AZFAMILY (3TV). They usually sent Tess or someone else out there in the pre-dawn darkness to interview people.

Fun to watch, wouldn't have wanted to be there.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I PROUDLY waited online for 6 hours for this bad boy on 6/29/2007. Surprised it still works. I've upgraded every year since.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    491.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I never understood that ridiculousness. I wouldn’t be caught dead looking silly standing in line overnight to buy something. Just pure nuttyness

'Ridiculousness', 'silly', 'nuttyness'.

Just because someone enjoys something you don't doesn't make it any of those things. Nice thing about an event like this ... no one has to do it that doesn't want to. Those of us that were there, year after year, were there because we wanted to be and, frankly, enjoyed it. It wasn't nutty or ridiculous. It was a good time.

I'm sure there's many other things I enjoy that others don't. Just like I'm sure there's things others, including you, spend time doing that I have zero interest in. Doesn't make those things ridiculous or nutty. Just different! :cool:

Last edited:

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Well, I won’t be camping out but if I like what I hear from the reviews this week, I will be stalking my local Apple store's inventory daily for the 15 pro max 256 GB lol.

Reactions: Theozz

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I miss those days severely and as someone who didn’t have as much free time as I did in my college days, there was something visceral about staking your claim as a serious iPhone buyer. Taking guts to stake your claim right next to the front of the door people looking at you like you’ve lost your mind. Until the clock strikes midnight and the line is just a little longer. By 4 AM the line is snaking down all the neighboring stores, around the corner, overflowing into the parking lot.

“Which iPhone are you here for?” As well meaning but ultimately fruitless late comers mosey up to the Apple Store at a crisp 9:45, hoping to score the newest iPhone. But it’s not that easy. The line is 200 deep and you own it. Success.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I miss those days severely and as someone who didn’t have as much free time as I did in my college days, there was something visceral about staking your claim as a serious iPhone buyer. Taking guts to stake your claim right next to the front of the door people looking at you like you’ve lost your mind. Until the clock strikes midnight and the line is just a little longer. By 4 AM the line is snaking down all the neighboring stores, around the corner, overflowing into the parking lot.

“Which iPhone are you here for?” As well meaning but ultimately fruitless late comers mosey up to the Apple Store at a crisp 9:45, hoping to score the newest iPhone. But it’s not that easy. The line is 200 deep and you own it. Success.
It was a different time and those were the days... You're giving me flashbacks. Glad we experienced those days and the community's comradery.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Camping was cool until people had to ruin it. I remember when the iPhone wasn’t released worldwide at the same time and certain groups of people literally had their grandmas and grandpas waiting in line to snag up all the iPhones to sell back home. That coupled with the scalpers trying to resell here in America it got bad towards the end.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I stood in line for the OG iPhone in 07, but I think I only waited 90 minutes or so.

I'm not sure I'd camp for one, but I respect those who did!

Reactions: dljeffery

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
'Ridiculousness', 'silly', 'nuttyness'.

Just because someone enjoys something you don't doesn't make it any of those things. Nice thing about an event like this ... no one has to do it that doesn't want to. Those of us that were there, year after year, were there because we wanted to be and, frankly, enjoyed it. It wasn't nutty or ridiculous. It was a good time.

I'm sure there's many other things I enjoy that others don't. Just like I'm sure there's things others, including you, spend time doing that have zero interest in. Doesn't make those things ridiculous or nutty. Just different! :cool:
But I am entitled to my opinion about it, am I not? I’m sure there are things that you find ridiculous which others enjoy.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
I know it's definitely not for everyone, but I do miss the camp-outs the night before launch.

As someone who upgrades annually, and whose career affords the flexibility of schedule required, I would camp out overnight to get the phone directly from the store every year.

I was almost always within the first few spots of the front of the line, often the front. It was always a festive atmosphere and I generally found the folks in line with me up front were often business owners, fellow engineers, and so on. We'd meet, learn about each other, and generally have a good time. I'd always bring a long extension cord and a large power-strip, which everyone around appreciated. Bonus for being at the front of the line: you'd be able to hop on the Apple Store's wifi.

It was always good times with good company; a bunch of people excited for the same reason. And as a really cool bonus, you'd get your shiny new toy the next morning. A fun annual event.

With the improvements of pre-order, and the cracking down of camping by the local shopping areas where the Apple Stores are, it's been a few years since a campout, and they'll likely not happen again ... but I remember those nights fondly.

I agreed with you,
Preorder is for boys, camping is for men!
😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.