Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Problem with overnight camping is, is that as soon as you enter the store and ask for an iPhone 15 Pro Max, they tell you to make a reservation online.

The Apple Store is useless. The Apple Store is just a glorified pick-up point now.

Reactions: BasedReborn

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I know it's definitely not for everyone, but I do miss the camp-outs the night before launch.

As someone who upgrades annually, and whose career affords the flexibility of schedule required, I would camp out overnight to get the phone directly from the store every year.

I was almost always within the first few spots of the front of the line, often the front. It was always a festive atmosphere and I generally found the folks in line with me up front were often business owners, fellow engineers, and so on. We'd meet, learn about each other, and generally have a good time. I'd always bring a long extension cord and a large power-strip, which everyone around appreciated. Bonus for being at the front of the line: you'd be able to hop on the Apple Store's wifi.

It was always good times with good company; a bunch of people excited for the same reason. And as a really cool bonus, you'd get your shiny new toy the next morning. A fun annual event.

With the improvements of pre-order, and the cracking down of camping by the local shopping areas where the Apple Stores are, it's been a few years since a campout, and they'll likely not happen again ... but I remember those nights fondly.
Thanks for sharing and I agree.

Reactions: eoblaed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.