Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm a long time apple fan boy and will most likely will be forever. The other day my carrier was running a buy one get one free deal on the new galaxies. As one of my lines needed upgrading, I took the plunge and got one myself. I still have my 6s but it's taking a back seat at the moment.

As an apple fan boy I have actually never used an android phone before other than an occasional playing with a friend's. It took me time to get use to it, but in a strange way I'm happy with it.

It's safe to say that I got rather bored with ios after 9 years of having an iPhone. With ios 10, I was even more curious on the state of the iPhone. It doesn't feel innovative anymore. It's starting to feel more gimmicky. I was hoping for a refreshed ui as the style of ios 7 is starting to become outdated a bit.

The thing that drove me to switch was the screen. In my opinion it is light years ahead of the retina in quality. It just looks better. Marshmellow actually has a cleaner appearance than before, and it's apps now have a consistent theme.

5 years ago, I would have never thought about switching, but here I am today, using a android as my daily driver. It is likely when the new phone comes out I'll switch back, after all I do miss the apple ecosystem as my phone was the central device. It's safe to say I was bored and needed a change.

I am actually glad I took the plunge to android, it has educated me on the competition and has allowed me to form a more mature opinion. Andriod pre marshmallow is still **** tho.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Android is still plague with random battery drains due to unexpected excessive CPU wakes, slow performance, lag even on latest Qualcomm/Exynos ARM chips, LPDDR4 blah blah blah. Another issue is their features are done mediocre, never worked the way they're supposed to be. iOS, in my experience, barely hiccups on me, and the most important thing is that their features work seamlessly unlike Android even on version 6.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Android is still plague with random battery drains due to unexpected excessive CPU wakes, slow performance, lag even on latest Qualcomm/Exynos ARM chips, LPDDR4 blah blah blah. Another issue is their features are done mediocre, never worked the way they're supposed to be. iOS, in my experience, barely hiccups on me, and the most important thing is that their features work seamlessly unlike Android even on version 6.

This is true. It's part of the reason I most definitely will be going back to iphone in the fall. I just need something different from apple and it's doesn'the look like that will happen anytime soon. I'm bored with there product line.

We have been asking for a better screen and wireless charging, etc for a few years now. Instead apple has been focusing on the camera in and out and has completely skipped on other features.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
It isn't if you know what you are doing...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm a long time apple fan boy and will most likely will be forever. The other day my carrier was running a buy one get one free deal on the new galaxies. As one of my lines needed upgrading, I took the plunge and got one myself. I still have my 6s but it's taking a back seat at the moment.

As an apple fan boy I have actually never used an android phone before other than an occasional playing with a friend's. It took me time to get use to it, but in a strange way I'm happy with it.

It's safe to say that I got rather bored with ios after 9 years of having an iPhone. With ios 10, I was even more curious on the state of the iPhone. It doesn't feel innovative anymore. It's starting to feel more gimmicky. I was hoping for a refreshed ui as the style of ios 7 is starting to become outdated a bit.

The thing that drove me to switch was the screen. In my opinion it is light years ahead of the retina in quality. It just looks better. Marshmellow actually has a cleaner appearance than before, and it's apps now have a consistent theme.

5 years ago, I would have never thought about switching, but here I am today, using a android as my daily driver. It is likely when the new phone comes out I'll switch back, after all I do miss the apple ecosystem as my phone was the central device. It's safe to say I was bored and needed a change.

I am actually glad I took the plunge to android, it has educated me on the competition and has allowed me to form a more mature opinion. Andriod pre marshmallow is still **** tho.

There is quite a big difference between Google's stock UI in Android Marshmallow than Samsung's Touchwiz UI which is what you have. Really when commenting on the outward appearance of 'Android', it is important to differentiate this as Samsung's TW looks very different from Google Stock, or other OEM's various skins.

Outside of Android UI differences, you will find most apps perform much the same and are aesthetically near identical to their iOS counterparts.

Which you prefer will simply boil down to subjective preference, personally I use an Android and an iOS device daily and my experience is much the same. There are far more similarities between them, than differences and I do not understand the need for some users to align themselves either one way or the other to a device or brand.

Life is much more interesting when you walk down both sides of the street. Why people feel they need to justify essentially crossing the road is more of concerning. Enjoy what you have. The grass is not any greener in the other field, its much the same grass. But the view is slightly different so its worth exploring anyway...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Life is much more interesting when you walk down both sides of the street. Why people feel they need to justify essentially crossing the road is more of concerning. Enjoy what you have. The grass is not any greener in the other field, its much the same grass. But the view is slightly different so its worth exploring anyway...
Very well said! :)

ztw2002

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
New York City
I moved to Galaxy S7 Edge after being iPhone user since iPhone 3G two months ago, but regretted my decision and finally traded S7 Edge for an iPhone 6S Plus. It's painful to hold the S7 Edge to watch YouTube on the bed, the performance is on and off. The only thing I like about the S7 Edge is the camera, but Android still lag behide iOS performance wise.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I didn't experience any of the above when I used a Nexus 6P for about two weeks. My iPhone 6S plus drained 11% battery overnight last night, when I open up 1Password it will randomly take 3-4 seconds for the Touch ID window to pop up. And I'll occasionally get UI lag in iOS when scrolling through or multitasking. Also lets keep in mind most Android phones have to power 2560x1440 displays whereas iPhones at the max are 1920x1080, which is a lot easier on hardware.

Can you please provide some examples of these mediocre features in Android?

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I moved to Galaxy S7 Edge after being iPhone user since iPhone 3G two months ago, but regretted my decision and finally traded S7 Edge for an iPhone 6S Plus. It's painful to hold the S7 Edge to watch YouTube on the bed, the performance is on and off. The only thing I like about the S7 Edge is the camera, but Android still lag behide iOS performance wise.

I'm actually going to stick with the edge until the 7 comes out. I'll keep it for development as I've been exclusively an ios developer and would like an app on both platforms.

I just need to experience andriod to confirm my love for Apple if it makes sense.

I've had my share of issues with it so.far, but I believe most come from being use to the iPhone way. I hate this keyboard tho, it feels unacurate.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I always find these posts interesting. Partly because users that have a definable preference for one OS over the other, tend to be blind to the issues that plague their preferred OS. It may not even be perceived on your part, and that isn't your fault. It is just now the mind works.

Those that use, and are very knowledgeable about both OS's, see the faults with both. I use both my iPhone SE and my S7 Edge daily. I randomly experience lag and force closures on the SE, just as I do on the S7. It is a fact that it happens on both OS's. As for features working seamlessly, you would need to give examples. Not sure what features you are referring to? OS features, phone features, or peripheral handoff features?

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I always find these posts interesting. Partly because users that have a definable preference for one OS over the other, tend to be blind to the issues that plague their preferred OS. It may not even be perceived on your part, and that isn't your fault. It is just now the mind works.

Those that use, and are very knowledgeable about both OS's, see the faults with both. I use both my iPhone SE and my S7 Edge daily. I randomly experience lag and force closures on the SE, just as I do on the S7. It is a fact that it happens on both OS's. As for features working seamlessly, you would need to give examples. Not sure what features you are referring to? OS features, phone features, or peripheral handoff features?

I agree with this. Every platform has issues. Obviously use what works best for you. But no need to make it sound like what you use is perfect. Because it isn't. My 6s Plus lags, force closes, freezes, etc. Just yesterday I couldn't type anything in messages and had to reboot my phone to get it to work. Android has its share of issues, that's no lie. But iOS is FAR from perfect.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
I didn't experience any of the above when I used a Nexus 6P for about two weeks. My iPhone 6S plus drained 11% battery overnight last night, when I open up 1Password it will randomly take 3-4 seconds for the Touch ID window to pop up. And I'll occasionally get UI lag in iOS when scrolling through or multitasking. Also lets keep in mind most Android phones have to power 2560x1440 displays whereas iPhones at the max are 1920x1080, which is a lot easier on hardware.

Can you please provide some examples of these mediocre features in Android?

NFC, WiFi and bluetooth drops, screen mirroring (Miracast) lags/disconnects, no airplay, always hot to touch, never ending app updates that kills the battery, lock screen that freezes, incredibly slow web browser loading performance even on 866 Mbps WiFi connection, finally terrible multitasking performance.

Reactions: waitandwait

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
NFC, WiFi and bluetooth drops, screen mirroring (Miracast) lags/disconnects, no airplay, always hot to touch, never ending app updates that kills the battery, lock screen that freezes, incredibly slow web browser loading performance even on 866 Mbps WiFi connection, finally terrible multitasking performance.
Thanks for providing the examples.

I've read about Bluetooth issues on devices such as the Nexus 6p. The Snapdragon 810 processor I've read can run hot during gaming. I've also read that the Snapdragon 820 processor in the S7 can only handle up to 10 minutes of 4K recording before it stops. So there are certainly some hardware issues/limitations.

As far as AirPlay I believe the HTC 10 supports that, so it may be something that will be more supported going forward.

But, you will find a lot of the same issues with the iPhone as well. I think @Lloydbm41 and @Wildo6882 stated it well, both OS's can have issues, just use what works best for you.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I switched to ART yesterday coming from Dalvik on my unlocked LG still on 4.4.2. Still the beta one. Yeah, I know it is a three year old feature but heard it wasn't beneficial back then and it lagged on me when I first tried it last year. It also takes up space internally eating up 1 GB. But wow, what a difference! Feels smoother and the battery life is 1-2% better every hour. If my LG can hit 10-11 hrs on Opera Mini consistently with 30% brightness, it means I can get 1-2 hrs of extra SOT which is on par with my Moto E.

Since 2011, I find useful little things fron Android all the time. With iOS, nothing. Once I tinker with it for a few months, it is BORING. I actually researched yesterday the jailbreak apps for iOS like if there is a double tap to wake app. There is but it kills your standby time since the digitizer needs to be turned on and it can't go to a deep sleep. I also looked through customized homescreens. Nothing exciting like the launchers Android offers. Same grid patterns. People need to watch video reviews or go to forums to extensively research whatever will be your next phone. I do it and felt like I haven't found a lemon since. My last few phones felt like homers.

Been contemplating getting another iPhone just to complete my collection of mobile OSes for smartphones although I do use an iPad. Whether $150 5s at Walmart, SE, or iPhone 7. Same conclusion. Feels same ol', same ol'...

My ideal iPhone form factor -
4.5 inch/720p
130mm height
Metal back
2500 mAh

I would love specs of the Xperia Z3 Compact but for an iPhone because the height of 130mm is perfect for me. Over 135mm like the 137mm iPhone 6/6s feels a little too tall. The 4 inch iPhone 5s/SE is too small to type on. "4.5 with 130mm like the Motorola Moto E 2nd gen is the perfect size for me. Apple just hasn't made the perfect size for me. Somewhere in the middle where the SE and 6s are (+7mm/-7mm) is my bull's eye.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
So very true.
It isn't if you know what you are doing...

I know my androids very well. I've owned way too many. I agree with his sentiment. Its often comical how android users will dismiss a person's experience as ignorance and ineptitude simply because they disagree with the opinion instead of in fact accepting the opinion to be that users opinion

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
This was the same situation I was in about a year ago. I was looking at an iPhone, but I saw an S6 in a store and I fell in love with it, mostly as a result of the screen.

Which phone did you get?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This was the same situation I was in about a year ago. I was looking at an iPhone, but I saw an S6 in a store and I fell in love with it, mostly as a result of the screen.

Which phone did you get?
They purchased the s7e. The OP mentions it in his second or third post.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I got the s7 edge. It's starting to bother me a bit tho. No way to slide down keyboard and using letters where the screen curves is a pain

Dukins

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
IndiaNAPolis
I got the s7 edge. It's starting to bother me a bit tho. No way to slide down keyboard and using letters where the screen curves is a pain

Not only that, give it a few months. It will go down the drain, maybe/maybe not. I used to be a Samsung guy through and through, but the S7 Edge soured me on any Samsung phones for awhile. My battery drain was horrific after a few months and the build quality for me is not great. Mine took a small tumble and it looks like a missile hit it, so be carefully with all of the glass.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I might be doing the same for a short period of time. I plan on giving my 6S plus to my sister for her birthday on August 16th, but will need a phone to hold me over until the 7 is released about a month or so later. A buddy of mine who works for LG told me he will hook me up with an LG V10 to use for as long as I need. It will be interesting since last time I ventured in to Android I ran back to iOS less than a week later, I hated it. but this was about 3 years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I know my androids very well. I've owned way too many. I agree with his sentiment. Its often comical how android users will dismiss a person's experience as ignorance and ineptitude simply because they disagree with the opinion instead of in fact accepting the opinion to be that users opinion

When someone mentions "never ending app updates that kills the battery" and etc, it's adequate to question if they even know what they are talking about.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Famous "if you know what you are doing" straw man.

Amen! I currently use, and have used, both iOS and Android virtually daily for the last few years. Android isn't complicated, it's just a pain in the ass sometimes, and a pain with really basic daily stuff. Case in point: when using my GS7E, I have to limit the number of gifs I text to people because I get an error stating there's no more room in the thread for another video. No such issue with the iPhone 6+. Is this one a big deal? Nope. But it's one of those things that pops up when using Android where you can't help but compare to how well stuff on iOS works without making YOU work to figure it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.