Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Amen! I currently use, and have used, both iOS and Android virtually daily for the last few years. Android isn't complicated, it's just a pain in the ass sometimes, and a pain with really basic daily stuff. Case in point: when using my GS7E, I have to limit the number of gifs I text to people because I get an error stating there's no more room in the thread for another video. No such issue with the iPhone 6+. Is this one a big deal? Nope. But it's one of those things that pops up when using Android where you can't help but compare to how well stuff on iOS works without making YOU work to figure it out.

That's cause you're using iMessage vs standard MMS. Try turning iMessage off and do that.

I give Apple alot of credit when it comes to being so seamless, that users don't even realize they are using another service. For most users, texting is just texting.

Hopefully Allo is Google's answer to that. But I'm pretty sure it will be a transitional answer, rather than instant.

Reactions: jamezr

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I hate this keyboard tho, it feels unacurate.

You can change keyboards you know.

The Snapdragon 810 processor I've read can run hot during gaming

My 6P played Monument Valley all the way through in one sitting and barely felt warm. The SD810 issues were in early runs of the SoC and appear to have been resolved prior to the 6P release.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That's cause you're using iMessage vs standard MMS. Try turning iMessage off and do that.

Incorrect! I am specifically referring to *texts* (or MMS). I send an unlimited number of gifs via texting on my iPhone (green bubbles!). I understand the difference completely. One of those guys who "knows what he's doing." ;)

I give Apple alot of credit when it comes to being so seamless, that users don't even realize they are using another service. For most users, texting is just texting.

Hopefully Allo is Google's answer to that. But I'm pretty sure it will be a transitional answer, rather than instant.

Actually, Apple has done a crap job in this area. iMessage to texting is not seamless. As someone who swaps out phones, the single biggest pain in my texting life is iMessage to texting. It isn't seamless at all as even deregistering your phone number doesn't fix the group message problem that Apple obviously has zero intention of correcting.

Allo will be fine, at first. And then Google will abandon it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My 6P played Monument Valley all the way through in one sitting and barely felt warm. The SD810 issues were in early runs of the SoC and appear to have been resolved prior to the 6P release.
Is that because the 6P it throttles it now?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Is that because the 6P it throttles it now?

Either through (undetectable) throttling or a change in the chip design. Whatever was done, it wasn't evident, the game played smoothly and the phone didn't heat up. I believe the 6P uses a V1.1 version of the SD810 rather than the V1 that had all the thermal issues.

I don't sit and play games for hours on end, that's what my tablet is for, the most heat I feel is when I have poor cellular coverage.

Reactions: Surf Donkey

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Incorrect! I am specifically referring to *texts* (or MMS). I send an unlimited number of gifs via texting on my iPhone (green bubbles!). I understand the difference completely. One of those guys who "knows what he's doing." ;)

I stand corrected then. I haven't sent MMS in ages. But I do recieve MMS videos and gif with no issues from other Android users. My mother sent me an MMS of a 4 minute video from her Arizona trip just 2 day ago from a Note 4 to my S7 edge.

Actually, Apple has done a crap job in this area. iMessage to texting is not seamless. As someone who swaps out phones, the single biggest pain in my texting life is iMessage to texting. It isn't seamless at all as even deregistering your phone number doesn't fix the group message problem that Apple obviously has zero intention of correcting.

I'm speaking on iMessage/text usage. But yea, that is a pain in the ass, to the point I don't even put my main sim in a iPhone. I just setup call forward from my main to my second line sim.

Allo will be fine, at first. And then Google will abandon it.

I think Google is serious about Allo for the long run. Same with Duo.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Either through (undetectable) throttling or a change in the chip design. Whatever was done, it wasn't evident, the game played smoothly and the phone didn't heat up. I believe the 6P uses a V1.1 version of the SD810 rather than the V1 that had all the thermal issues.

I don't sit and play games for hours on end, that's what my tablet is for, the most heat I feel is when I have poor cellular coverage.
I am glad it hasn't overheated and you haven't seen any noticeable throttling. But it has been reported on most review sites like Anandtech. Which some hold in high regard.....

that being said, the SoC will still throttle to about 50% of its peak performance leading to an overall sustained performance that one cannot be too enthusiastic about. It is unfortunate that the switch from 1080p to 1440p has managed to eliminate most of the performance and efficiency advancements of this generation as we see the Nexus 6P performing not much better than some 1080p Snapdragon 801 devices.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9820/the-google-nexus-6p-review/4

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I stand corrected then. I haven't sent MMS in ages. But I do recieve MMS videos and gif with no issues from other Android users. My mother sent me an MMS of a 4 minute video from her Arizona trip just 2 day ago from a Note 4 to my S7 edge.

I'm speaking on iMessage/text usage. But yea, that is a pain in the ass, to the point I don't even put my main sim in a iPhone. I just setup call forward from my main to my second line sim.

Then why did they abandon Hangouts? What is inherently superior about Allo that they couldn't do with Hangouts? Even as an ardent Apple guy, I *want* Google to make a badass cross platform messaging service that crushes iMessage. I have zero faith that Allo will be any different.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Then why did they abandon Hangouts? What is inherently superior about Allo that they couldn't do with Hangouts? Even as an ardent Apple guy, I *want* Google to make a badass cross platform messaging service that crushes iMessage. I have zero faith that Allo will be any different.
Why should Google make a badass cross platform messaging service?

If Apple is happy to play in their playground why shouldn't google be happy in theirs

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
I am glad it hasn't overheated and you haven't seen any noticeable throttling. But it has been reported on most review sites like Anandtech. Which some hold in high regard.....

Throttling is a bad thing? Not when done right. 6P does the best it can with a **** processor. Does a very good job at it actually. That is why people don't really notice it and the phone doesn't get hot. Only negative is the impacts on battery life when it really gets going.

For a bad job at throttling take a look at what Samsung is doing with the more than capable 820.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Throttling is a bad thing? 6P does the best it can with a **** processor. Does a very good job at it actually. That is why people don't really notice it and the phone doesn't get hot.
So this is good?
That being said, the SoC will still throttle to about 50% of its peak performance leading to an overall sustained performance that one cannot be too enthusiastic about. It is unfortunate that the switch from 1080p to 1440p has managed to eliminate most of the performance and efficiency advancements of this generation as we see the Nexus 6P performing not much better than some 1080p Snapdragon 801 devices.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
So this is good?

Good for the 810. Show me an implementation with it that performs better.

Edit:

All in all, the Nexus 6P is probably the best Snapdragon 810 device we’ll get to see as it offers reasonable top-end performance while maintaining medium performance when it’s required to throttle down to preserve device skin temperatures, which by the way didn’t exceed ~39.5°C for the duration of the test (Thermal maximum measured at top center of the screen).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I believe we were talking about the Nexus 6P and it's throttling. Anandtech compares it to 801 devices. I thought you said Anandtech was THE source?

That being said, the SoC will still throttle to about 50% of its peak performance leading to an overall sustained performance that one cannot be too enthusiastic about. It is unfortunate that the switch from 1080p to 1440p has managed to eliminate most of the performance and efficiency advancements of this generation as we see the Nexus 6P performing not much better than some 1080p Snapdragon 801 devices.

We won't even get into battery life.......

On the other hand if we want to look at the difference in efficiency of SoC, we can use the Note 4 as a relatively fair comparison. The Nexus 6P sports a screen that is ~5% more efficient and has a 7% advantage in battery capacity, yet it manages to fall behind the Note 4 with Snapdragon 805 by 16%, or almost 2 full hours.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Edit:

All in all, the Nexus 6P is probably the best Snapdragon 810 device we’ll get to see as it offers reasonable top-end performance while maintaining medium performance when it’s required to throttle down to preserve device skin temperatures, which by the way didn’t exceed ~39.5°C for the duration of the test (Thermal maximum measured at top center of the screen).

I believe we were talking about the Nexus 6P and it's throttling. Anandtech compares it to 801 devices. I thought you said Anandtech was THE source?

We won't even get into battery life.......

Can you guy's take your spat to PM neither of you are going to convince the other of the supremacy of your logic.

Reactions: jamezr

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
When someone mentions "never ending app updates that kills the battery" and etc, it's adequate to question if they even know what they are talking about.
No just a blanket statement you android fans try to use to do anything to dismiss anyone's complaint for the beloved OS.
Amen! I currently use, and have used, both iOS and Android virtually daily for the last few years. Android isn't complicated, it's just a pain in the ass sometimes, and a pain with really basic daily stuff. Case in point: when using my GS7E, I have to limit the number of gifs I text to people because I get an error stating there's no more room in the thread for another video. No such issue with the iPhone 6+. Is this one a big deal? Nope. But it's one of those things that pops up when using Android where you can't help but compare to how well stuff on iOS works without making YOU work to figure it out.

I've described Android as complicated and to a degree it is, for you have to not only deal with countless iterations of the OS. You have to deal with hardware differences. Then you have to then deal with the fact the OS is on different versions. And god forbid you choose a device that isn't popular, XDA and other communities are no help. So you are left trying to blindly find fixes to your issues. It's quite a frustration really.

Just like they were serious about Google Plus?
Or many of their "Ooh that's cool ideas" only to be abandoned later.

We'll see.

Lumia 950 XL is actually the best hardware wise in my opinion. Between my 950 XL and my Nexus, OS preference aside (Windows 10) I found the 950 XL to be the better of the two.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Lumia 950 XL is actually the best hardware wise in my opinion. Between my 950 XL and my Nexus, OS preference aside (Windows 10) I found the 950 XL to be the better of the two.

True good point! Love the 950 XL, bought it from the MS store but returned it. Just the OS of course, but beautiful smooth device.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
True good point! Love the 950 XL, bought it from the MS store but returned it. Just the OS of course, but beautiful smooth device.
The OS is precisely why My nexus never replaced it as my main device :)
Beautiful OS with a more complete ecosystem and now my 6S plus replaced my Nexus and I let that piece of crap go haha

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
The OS is precisely why My nexus never replaced it as my main device :)
Beautiful OS with a more complete ecosystem and now my 6S plus replaced my Nexus and I let that piece of crap go haha

Hmmm Windows 10 on mobile is more complete ecosystem than Android huh? Cool.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
Hmmm Windows 10 on mobile is more complete ecosystem than Android huh? Cool.
An ecosystem is also not comprised of mobile :) Outside Mobile, for example, Android is awful on most tablets....From Microsoft's ecosystem of services which are nearly universal on all platforms, Universal app programs, Desktop, Surface, Hololens, Phone and other mediums...the WIndows 10 ecosystem is more complete than Android :)

That isn't saying Android is better or worse than Windows 10 mobile as a software(I personally do find it inferior) BUT the android ecosystem has yet to feel complete.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
An ecosystem is also not comprised of mobile :) Outside Mobile, for example, Android is awful on most tablets....From Microsoft's ecosystem of services which are nearly universal on all platforms, Universal app programs, Desktop, Surface, Hololens, Phone and other mediums...the WIndows 10 ecosystem is more complete than Android :)

That isn't saying Android is better or worse than Windows 10 mobile as a software(I personally do find it inferior) BUT the android ecosystem has yet to feel complete.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, I like Windows 10 on my desktop and my Surface. Considered my mobile to involved as well, but just didn't cut it for me. I think I am too into Google's world with everything else and they could easily win me over with if they really got serious about tablets. But good to hear a Microsoft voice around here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.