Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClodMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
I'm trying to fix my old 2010 MacBook Pro and I need to take out the battery, I have accedintly stripped one of the screws and I can't take it out. My situation is similar to this user (click the 'this user' text). I've kinda attempted using the scissors, but it doesn't really work that well. Please help.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First of all, disconnect the battery from the motherboard. Dropping a metal object onto the motherboard while connected to the battery could cause some major damage.

Get a small metal drill bit, electrical tape, and non-conductive anti-static material. Use the material to cover the Macbook's internal components and hold it in place with electrical tape. Drill a tiny hole in the centre of the screw. You can keep enlarging the hole until you are able to grip the screw with tiny pliers and twist it out. Alternatively, you could use the tiny drill but to cut a pattern in the screw top that will allow you to insert a screwdriver, such as a Philips or slotted, to loosen the screw.

Another alternative would be to use the tiny drill bit to drill into the plastic ring under the screw. The plastic under the screw is part of the battery, not the Macbook.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Using all the safety advice given above.

I prefer if possible to use a hack saw to cut a little slit along the screw, then use a flat head to get it off. If there is at least some shape, you can also melt the end of a ball point pen housing (Obviously removing ink) and quickly and firmly press it against the screw head; this often provides enough grip to remove the screw. Using a hack saw tends to give you a bit more control, but it can be fiddly in certain situations. You may need a cut a 1" section of blade and hold it with some pliers for instance. Either way the screw won't be super tight so it's not too much of a struggle.

Another option if you have available is to use a pair of mini vice grip pliers on the thing, just to knock it a quarter turn and loosen it enough to undo with regular needle nose pliers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.