Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sacha Baptista

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi,

I have a rule : Never update anything. I truly believe that updating one's device and keeping it up to date is the fastest way to make it obsolete, therefore I never update anything.

So here I am with my jailbroken iPhone 5s, ios 8.1.3, working like a charm, but I've been receiving notifications from whatsapp : they're stopping support for ios 8 devices starting on feb 1, 2020.

Unfortunately, I absolutely need whatsapp for work, and there is no way around it.

So, I have to upgrade my phone but I don't want to end up on ios 12 because, as I said, I believe that will make it obsolete sooner than it would normally be. Plus, I want an ios that I can jailbreak.

Is there any way I can install ios 9.x.y on my phone? If so, how? I've seen it's possible to download unsigned ipsw files but I am not clear on how to instal them.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If it's an iPhone 5 it can only upgrade to a max of iOS 10. iOS 10 is fine on a 5, but it has the unresolved battery throttling issue that can't be disabled- battery has to be replaced to unthrottle it. There's no way you can upgrade to iOS 9 and you wouldn't want to anyway. I have a phone on iOS 9 and Safari is very crippled and almost zero apps available today will run on it.

I'm with you in not upgrading the OS- but if you go that route you'll need to upgrade THE PHONE every 4 to 5 years.

kenvip88

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Ho Chi Minh
Hi,

I have a rule : Never update anything. I truly believe that updating one's device and keeping it up to date is the fastest way to make it obsolete, therefore I never update anything.

So here I am with my jailbroken iPhone 5s, ios 8.1.3, working like a charm, but I've been receiving notifications from whatsapp : they're stopping support for ios 8 devices starting on feb 1, 2020.

Unfortunately, I absolutely need whatsapp for work, and there is no way around it.

So, I have to upgrade my phone but I don't want to end up on ios 12 because, as I said, I believe that will make it obsolete sooner than it would normally be. Plus, I want an ios that I can jailbreak.

Is there any way I can install ios 9.x.y on my phone? If so, how? I've seen it's possible to download unsigned ipsw files but I am not clear on how to instal them.

Go find and buy a 9.x.x ios then sell your 8.x.x
Wish you luck

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hi,

As long as you don’t do internet banking or buy things using your phone then updating to get the best security settings shouldn’t be an issue.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Wasn’t there a recent jailbreaking breakthrough that allows you to upgrade/downgrade to any version of iOS without needing Apple to sign it as long as you have a phone that doesn’t have A12X chip or newer (XR/XS/XS Max or newer)?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Get an iPhone X or Xr or Xs or 11, that way whatever iOS it comes with, you will be good to go without updating for some years to come.

Reactions: MagicBoy

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You cannot. Whatever you do, don’t buy an iOS 9 64-bit device. You will be forced to update it, because there’s a horrible activation bug for 64-bit devices on iOS 9. I was forced to update a 9.7 iPad Pro from iOS 9 to iOS 12 and an iPhone 6s from iOS 9 to 13. They were totally crippled.
[automerge]1577715730[/automerge]
Wasn’t there a recent jailbreaking breakthrough that allows you to upgrade/downgrade to any version of iOS without needing Apple to sign it as long as you have a phone that doesn’t have A12X chip or newer (XR/XS/XS Max or newer)?

It’s tethered.

DJ_Smith

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
Montana USA
You cannot. Whatever you do, don’t buy an iOS 9 64-bit device. You will be forced to update it, because there’s a horrible activation bug for 64-bit devices on iOS 9. I was forced to update a 9.7 iPad Pro from iOS 9 to iOS 12 and an iPhone 6s from iOS 9 to 13. They were totally crippled.
[automerge]1577715730[/automerge]

It’s tethered.
Can you link me to that jailbreak.?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi,

Interesting that you are a jailbreaker - yet you choose to ask this in the general iPhone forum where jailbreaking is generally dismissed. Never mind that an actual jailbreaking forum on MacRumors exists - you didn't ask there.

Go figure.

Anyway, you need two things with a highly likely end result of failure.

1. You need SHSH blobs for the version of iOS 9 you want to go to.
2. You need to be jailbroken.

You have one of those things, but if you don't have blobs - no soup for you.

Finally, as someone already mentioned, there'a activation. Apple has been denying iOS 9 activations for some devices, particularly the iPhone 6s/6s+. So, even if you arrived there, you may not get it activated.

Something else to keep in mind since you have an iOS 8 jailbreak. Every jailbreak above iOS 9.1 is now Semi-Untethered. That means you rejailbreak your device every time you reboot it. You'd need to go to iOS 9.1 or below to remain fully untethered. Every 15 days you need to resign the jailbreak app by using Cydia Impactor or the jailbreak app does not work. There is a way around that by using Reprovision. But…

Lately Apple has been squashing the signing services so getting the app resigned by using Cydia Impactor has been hit and miss.

This is why you need to pull your head out of the JB sand and take a look around at what's happening once in a while. If you'd paid any attention to the JB community at all you'd know everything I just told you and wouldn't have to be asking any of this.
[automerge]1577724484[/automerge]
Can you link me to that jailbreak.?
Scroll through the JB matrix: https://old.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/escapeplan/guides/jailbreakcharts
[automerge]1577724618[/automerge]
It’s tethered.
If you are already jailbroken on iOS 9, there is a way to work around this. I have a 6s and a 6s+ on 9.0.2. I've renamed the Setup app so that any attempt at reactivation pushed by Apple fails. The Setup app (where it has that Hello screen to set the phone up) runs on top of Springboard and takes over. Once it runs, you can't quit it. But if it's prevented from running then the phone functions.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Interesting that you are a jailbreaker - yet you choose to ask this in the general iPhone forum where jailbreaking is generally dismissed. Never mind that an actual jailbreaking forum on MacRumors exists - you didn't ask there.

Go figure.

Anyway, you need two things with a highly likely end result of failure.

1. You need SHSH blobs for the version of iOS 9 you want to go to.
2. You need to be jailbroken.

You have one of those things, but if you don't have blobs - no soup for you.

Finally, as someone already mentioned, there'a activation. Apple has been denying iOS 9 activations for some devices, particularly the iPhone 6s/6s+. So, even if you arrived there, you may not get it activated.

Something else to keep in mind since you have an iOS 8 jailbreak. Every jailbreak above iOS 9.1 is now Semi-Untethered. That means you rejailbreak your device every time you reboot it. You'd need to go to iOS 9.1 or below to remain fully untethered. Every 15 days you need to resign the jailbreak app by using Cydia Impactor or the jailbreak app does not work. There is a way around that by using Reprovision. But…

Lately Apple has been squashing the signing services so getting the app resigned by using Cydia Impactor has been hit and miss.

This is why you need to pull your head out of the JB sand and take a look around at what's happening once in a while. If you'd paid any attention to the JB community at all you'd know everything I just told you and wouldn't have to be asking any of this.
[automerge]1577724484[/automerge]

Scroll through the JB matrix: https://old.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/escapeplan/guides/jailbreakcharts
[automerge]1577724618[/automerge]

If you are already jailbroken on iOS 9, there is a way to work around this. I have a 6s and a 6s+ on 9.0.2. I've renamed the Setup app so that any attempt at reactivation pushed by Apple fails. The Setup app (where it has that Hello screen to set the phone up) runs on top of Springboard and takes over. Once it runs, you can't quit it. But if it's prevented from running then the phone functions.
Yep, I read that after I was forced to update everything. If I had known, I would have updated to iOS 10 back then, but oh well.
I was so pissed after I updated to iOS 7 on my iPad 4... I can’t be pissed now. It wasn’t my fault. I heard about this thing when the latest version was iOS 12... updating to 12 to avoid disaster would have been useless. I just kept using it until it deactivated. I didn’t want to jailbreak. I guess I could have jailbroken it to avoid it, but I didn’t want to, and to be perfectly honest, after two years of this stupid nonsense being around, I thought Apple had already stopped deactivating devices.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If the OP ends up looking for an iPhone with a difference iOS version, I personally would stay away from iOS 9. Just go right to iOS 10.

It seems to be much more optimized for older iPhones.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I've got a 4, a 4s a 5, a 6s, a 6s+ and a Pixel 3a XL. Oh and the 6s/6s+ are running iOS 9.0.2.

What do you think? Time for a new phone?

;)

And what’s the point of using these old devices? If you do it for a kick, “(wo)man against the machine” type of challenge, I get it. However, if you want an actual well functioning device with everything the latest iOS has to offer, I would just upgrade my hardware.

Reactions: macintoshmac

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Hi,

How did you come up with this logic? In general NOT updating your device will make it obsolete sooner because apps will start requiring a newer version and will no longer run on your device.

There's no way to upgrade to intermediate iOS versions because they're no longer signed by Apple.

iOS 12 runs great on a 5S. There's nothing obsolescent about it and no significant reason to avoid it. Sure, you'll lose your jailbreak, but you have to decide whether jailbreak + apps no longer worth it is more valuable to you than a fully updated 5S with all apps working and no jailbreak.

Up to you.

Reactions: ericwn

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And what’s the point of using these old devices? If you do it for a kick, “(wo)man against the machine” type of challenge, I get it. However, if you want an actual well functioning device with everything the latest iOS has to offer, I would just upgrade my hardware.
No kicks, no challenge and they function fine.

But they aren't my primary phones. I don't sell my phones when I'm done with them. They get used for other purposes because they are still functional.

The 4 for instance is basically an iPod at work. The rest have other uses I put them to. They are still capable of running apps, using BT and WiFi.

Only one actually has a cellular connection and that's my 6s+ which I use as a secondary phone.
[automerge]1577811315[/automerge]
…because apps will start requiring a newer version and will no longer run on your device.
You mean newer apps won't run, right?

Because I've got an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1.2 and it still runs apps. They didn't just suddenly stop working because iOS 7 is old and unsigned. Same with my 6s+ on 9.0.2.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.