Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
In safari when I access one of my regular websites I get interrupted by a site that no matter what I do will not allow me to go any further. It is like a pop up that does not allow you to do anything except look at their crap. I copied the url : http://apple.mobile-winner.net/USA/5/?subid=1460451379mb41648587464&zoneid=928

How do I get rid of this?

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Maybe you should try clearing Safari cache and if it's still happen, try clearing history too.
Keep us updated.

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Do you have any kind of profile installed?
Yes i also had this last night and could not get rid of it. But mine said lucky winner and it had an address of facebook.com.

So I thought I will play your game and filled the pages in with garbage. and it still told me I was a winner.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Started happening the other day as well for me. And only on this site. Probably one of their CDNs got hit through a vulnerability (saw a story on ArsTechnica yesterday that a CDN that is used by some major Netherlands sites was affected, so, could see others or MacRumors using same).

And, yes, try clearing data/cache/history. Think that solved my issue.

ADD: spoke too soon. Just got a spam popup on MacRumors, so, 99% sure some issue with a CDN and or MR site, in my case.

ADD2: if OP is not using a device that support ad blockers (eg. iPad3) in Safari, might try using a browser that does have built-in ad blocking (AdBlocker Plus for example). Seems to be working ok for me and MacRumors on my iPad (all other devices have ad blocking, so, not seeing the spam ad popups on anything else or any other site).

Last edited:

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Yes i also had this last night and could not get rid of it. But mine said lucky winner and it had an address of facebook.com.

So I thought I will play your game and filled the pages in with garbage. and it still told me I was a winner.
Try removing all profiles. Does this solve your issue?

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Try removing all profiles. Does this solve your issue?
Once I arrived at the page that said finished, it then stopped and I have not seen iy again today.

the information I gave them was totally bogus so hopefully there will not be an repercussions...

I will also change my iTunes etc password just in case. I dont even know if that will help.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Started happening the other day as well for me. And only on this site. Probably one of their CDNs got hit through a vulnerability (saw a story on ArsTechnica yesterday that a CDN that is used by some major Netherlands sites was affected, so, could see others or MacRumors using same).

ADD: spoke too soon. Just got a spam popup on MacRumors, so, 99% sure some issue with a CDN and or MR site, in my case.

ADD2: if OP is not using a device that support ad blockers (eg. iPad3) in Safari, might try using a browser that does have built-in ad blocking (AdBlocker Plus for example). Seems to be working ok for me and MacRumors on my iPad (all other devices have ad blocking, so, not seeing the spam ad popups on anything else or any other site).
Me and another member Sirious are also seeing this. So still reckon it's a CDN issue?

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I keep getting a popup on this site on my iPad saying stuff like "you're the millionth visitor today, press OK to claim your prize" or other stuff like that. It doesn't even have the OK button and pressing cancel just brings to their site with. I redownloaded 1Blocker to get rid of it.

At Sea

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2016
The Midwest, USA
Got two of these Saturday from Facebook on Safari and another site. Clearing the cache and history in Safari has taken care of the matter...thus far.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Clearing cache and history did not get rid of this pest.

I thought that Apple devices were somewhat resistant to thing like this. It is why I left Windows.

Anyway I tried everything but the only thing that stopped it in its tracks is Crystal Ad Blocker. It still upsets me that it is still inside my device and would like to know how to remove it. There are time the ad blocker needs to be turned off.

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Clearing cache and history did not get rid of this pest.

I thought that Apple devices were somewhat resistant to thing like this. It is why I left Windows.

Anyway I tried everything but the only thing that stopped it in its tracks is Crystal Ad Blocker. It still upsets me that it is still inside my device and would like to know how to remove it. There are time the ad blocker needs to be turned off.
[doublepost=1460643273][/doublepost]Hi newtons Apple,

As you can see from my response above I just went through and completed everything using totally bogus information and the response, finally was finished. After that the pop up did , has not, appeared again.

I know this is a pain and may also be fraught but it is something that worked for me.

I also, later, cleared cache etc.

Xerxers

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
[doublepost=1460643273][/doublepost]Hi newtons Apple,

As you can see from my response above I just went through and completed everything using totally bogus information and the response, finally was finished. After that the pop up did , has not, appeared again.

I know this is a pain and may also be fraught but it is something that worked for me.

I also, later, cleared cache etc.

Xerxers

Thanks, I will save that if nothing else works. There should be a way of finding this and getting rid of it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks, I will save that if nothing else works. There should be a way of finding this and getting rid of it.
I have not tried myself but what if you request the desktop version of the site once you get there? Hold the refresh button in the url bar.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015

Did you notify MR? If not, you can click the exclamation point in your post to report it, or PM a mod so it can be addressed for the site.

(I reported the post in case MR is unaware of this issue.)

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Update: Link provided in first post has been identified as phishing site by Safari. Trying to open it will first show a warning page saying this site is a phishing site and suggest you to close the tab.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Update: Link provided in first post has been identified as phishing site by Safari. Trying to open it will first show a warning page saying this site is a phishing site and suggest you to close the tab.

It was not identified as such when I stepped into it.

Still the question is how to clean up this mess.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I'm just guessing here --

Do you have another browser? If so, empty its cache.
Have you tried a hard reset? (Hold power and home simultaneously until apple logo appears....)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
But my safari has reported that site as a phishing site and suggest me to close the tab.

At the time I stepped into this, Safari was not reporting so they must have done the warning recently. I am not even sure what site I was at when I did get this bug.
[doublepost=1460735126][/doublepost]
I'm just guessing here --

Do you have another browser? If so, empty its cache.
Have you tried a hard reset? (Hold power and home simultaneously until apple logo appears....)

Only use Safari on the iPad Pro 9.7. Have cleared the cache and rebooted and it still came back. The only way to stop it is my Crystal Ad Blocker.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
At the time I stepped into this, Safari was not reporting so they must have done the warning recently. I am not even sure what site I was at when I did get this bug.
[doublepost=1460735126][/doublepost]

Only use Safari on the iPad Pro 9.7. Have cleared the cache and rebooted and it still came back. The only way to stop it is my Crystal Ad Blocker.
Hmm. OK. I just click the link [http://apple.mobile-winner.net/USA/5/?subid=1460451379mb41648587464&zoneid=928] you have provided at the post.
Maybe, Apple just fixes this recently, cause it's been a while since you posted this bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.