Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spyharpy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Jobs is very good at making something you never thought you'd ever need to something you can't live without. At first I never thought I'd have much use for one. A couple trips to the Apple store changed that. I'm hooked myself and have a 3G 64GB on its way.

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Assuming you switch off computers, tvs etc that you are not using, the ipad is going to make a lot of difference to your personal electricity use!

This is good timing, as there are a number of places in the world where reliable 24/7 cheap electricity is going to stop being the norm in the next 2-10 years.

Like California when Arizona tells them to **** off and stops shipping electricity to them. That could be this year.

DrIgg

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
Jobs is very good at making something you never thought you'd ever need to something you can't live without. At first I never thought I'd have much use for one. A couple trips to the Apple store changed that. I'm hooked myself and have a 3G 64GB on its way.

Agreed. I came to this conclusion a while ago too. So when the iPad 3G was made available I just ordered one without having even seen an iPad in person. It was inevitable.

P.S. I haven't regretted it one bit.

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
I have my laptop for word processing. Still has more function in 4.3in than my Ipad at 9.7... :cool:

Oh, but what about that "mobile desktop" you were bragging about? You shouldn't need a laptop when you've got all that capability in your Android phone, right?

Or is it that you were just talking out of your hindparts trying desperately to justify your decision? Face it, no smartphone will equal the iPad experience (they're not even in the same mobile category), and it only makes someone look foolish to try to claim otherwise.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
My wife asked me the other day "Sooo, how long is it going to be before you quit brining that iPad every single place we go?" All I could say was "Uh, a WHILE".

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Oh, but what about that "mobile desktop" you were bragging about? You shouldn't need a laptop when you've got all that capability in your Android phone, right?

Or is it that you were just talking out of your hindparts trying desperately to justify your decision? Face it, no smartphone will equal the iPad experience (they're not even in the same mobile category), and it only makes someone look foolish to try to claim otherwise.

My EVO can do more than a Ipad... period. "Do More" is the keyword...

I could type a document on my phone?
But I can get a file browser on my ipad?
I can take a 8mp picture on my EVo, can I do that on a ipad?

See where im going with this....

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma

Yea, but you're comparing two night and day different devices. I have an iPad and will be getting an EVO soon. But they're not the same thing. It's like comparing a car to a truck...the utility is 100% different. I can promise you though, I am not going to read an 800 page King novel on my EVO....never.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

And you also have a dinky screen that makes all of those (and many others) unenjoyable for elongated periods of time.

Phones are great, but the big screen makes it infinitely better. People seem to be too focused on a list of what it CAN do, but not what it can do WELL. The latter is much more important.

The iPad isn't a swiss army knife. Honestly, it doesn't do A LOT. But it does quite a few things fantastically.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Yea, but you're comparing two night and day different devices. I have an iPad and will be getting an EVO soon. But they're not the same thing. It's like comparing a car to a truck...the utility is 100% different. I can promise you though, I am not going to read an 800 page King novel on my EVO....never.

Understood... but I expressed that I dont read. All I said, was that the EVO big screen is enough for me to ditch my ipad and keep my laptop instead. I can DO MORE on my evo IF I WANTED... would it be enjoyable to read a 800 page book on it? No! But could I do it? Yes!

I was never talking about utility.. if I need to write a paper I do it on my laptop(Would NEVER do it on my Ipad) if I need to read, I grab a magazine. Ipad is not as portable as my phone... and i barely more portable than my macbook pro(13in)...

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
I was never talking about utility.. if I need to write a paper I do it on my laptop(Would NEVER do it on my Ipad) if I need to read, I grab a magazine. Ipad is not as portable as my phone... and i barely more portable than my macbook pro(13in)...

Sounds like you were pretty foolish to buy an iPad in the first place if all of the above is actually true. Congrats on not thinking through a purchase before making it. Are you one of those people who just buys things based on hype? No wonder you jumped on a Droid Evo... :rolleyes:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Agreed. I came to this conclusion a while ago too. So when the iPad 3G was made available I just ordered one without having even seen an iPad in person. It was inevitable.

P.S. I haven't regretted it one bit.

Same here. Now I don't even mind going with my wife when she wants to do clothes-shopping. I just take my iPad and find a nearby place to sit and enjoy. :)

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Sounds like you were pretty foolish to buy an iPad in the first place if all of the above is actually true. Congrats on not thinking through a purchase before making it. Are you one of those people who just buys things based on hype? No wonder you jumped on a Droid Evo... :rolleyes:

Actually I bought my ipad BEFORE i got the EVO... so AFTER i recieved my EVO, my Ipad is looking less and less like a useful utility for ME.

Since you are probaly using a iphone you would not understand the meaning of a "mobile desktop" you can even get flash... or a file browser... you get the same old grid style that has been around for 3 years.. no innovation after 2007...

Ipad is not a bad device, but it does less than my phone just with a bigger screen.

And Evo is not just hype... but keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
Actually I bought my ipad BEFORE i got the EVO... so AFTER i recieved my EVO, my Ipad is looking less and less like a useful utility for ME.

Actually, that doesn't even address the point I was making.

You say you don't read, or if you do, that it's textbooks or magazines. You say you'd rather type documents on your laptop. You mentioned taking pictures with your phone (nevermind that the Evo reportedly takes lousy images), but you knew the iPad wasn't a camera when you bought it. You mentioned the Evo is more portable, again, you knew how big the iPad was when you made the purchase. So what in the world did you think you were going to do with the iPad once you got one? The only other key things I can think of are browsing the Web and movies, and either of those tasks are much more enjoyable on the iPad than any phone out there. So it clearly appears as though you leaped before you looked with regard to the iPad, and I don't have much regard for the opinion of people who don't do their homework and don't think things through.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Yes you are and placing orders in my kingdom. ;)

I'm addicted too! The iPad is so much more convenient and I absolute love the instant on. My MSI Wind hasn't powered on since Easter and it use to be my around the house computer. I hate the battery life on the Wind and I find the screen size bad for browsing the net.

Yeah :) What's your We Rule ID? Let me guess . . . . is it imacdaddy? ;)
I play We Rule several times every day. Despite the fact that it's a memory hog and crashes daily, I still find it fun :p
BTW, the last time it crashed with with a low memory message, a few minutes ago, I had 106 MB memory free on my iPad.

But . . . I digress. In the spirit of staying on topic . . . I'm soooo addicted to my iPad :D

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

Since you are probaly using a iphone you would not understand the meaning of a "mobile desktop" you can even get flash... or a file browser... you get the same old grid style that has been around for 3 years.. no innovation after 2007...

Ipad is not a bad device, but it does less than my phone just with a bigger screen.

And Evo is not just hype... but keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:

You are one smug little dude aren't you?
The OP wanted to extol the virtues of her iPad and express her pleasure with it. You decided to pee in her cornflakes. How charming!

I am happy for you and your droid. To each his own

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I still haven't made it through a day withou my iPad.

Oh, absolutely! First thing in the morning I grab the iPad and settle in with a cup of coffee and a glass of OJ.......and she is in use pretty much all day and of course goes out with me when I need to go somewhere. I am on her until the last thing at night, too..... My iPad is absolutely an integral part of my life now.

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Yeah :) What's your We Rule ID? Let me guess . . . . is it imacdaddy? ;)
I play We Rule several times every day. Despite the fact that it's a memory hog and crashes daily, I still find it fun :p
BTW, the last time it crashed with with a low memory message, a few minutes ago, I had 106 MB memory free on my iPad.

But . . . I digress. In the spirit of staying on topic . . . I'm soooo addicted to my iPad :D
I play We Rule too. Cool game. :)

Oh, absolutely! First thing in the morning I grab the iPad and settle in with a cup of coffee and a glass of OJ.......and she is in use pretty much all day and of course goes out with me when I need to go somewhere. I am on her until the last thing at night, too..... My iPad is absolutely an integral part of my life now.
Mine goes with me everywhere too. I don't know how I can be without it now. It has everything I need when I'm out and about.

I have an iPad and I'm an Addict.....
Therefore I am....... I am an iPadict ;)
iPadict...nice. :D

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Same here. Now I don't even mind going with my wife when she wants to do clothes-shopping. I just take my iPad and find a nearby place to sit and enjoy. :)

My wife asked me the other day "Sooo, how long is it going to be before you quit brining that iPad every single place we go?" All I could say was "Uh, a WHILE".

This is exactly what I am talking about. FREEDOM from the laptop...it's like the freedom I once enjoyed from the desktop with my first laptop 16 yrs ago. I can go anywhere...and I am taking my iPad with me. Research in stores, even like a trip yo Lowes last night pulling up their website, then HomeDepot, was awesome.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
Hi, My name is Eric, and I'm and iPadict. First it was the Wifi 64GB version on April 3rd. Then when that wasn't enough, I sold that and upgraded to the WiFi+3G 64GB. I couldn't stop there, I then got my wife hooked on the same. Now we're a 2 iPad habit home.

Anyway, I do love it. I've watched more TV of past shows I missed than ever. Southland is a great show. Then the ability to add my comics is another plus.

My poor wife has read 3 novels in a week. She even takes it to work.

Damn you Jobs!!!!

Oh, I'm on We Rule also, and my ID is iecj

miamijim

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
We rule just installed...

Low memory message appears.....

I have 23gb of space on my 32gb iPad..........?

What is all that about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.